Question for GMail users...

jdu00743

I already have an account there, but I would like to change my actual e-mail address...Is that possible? 

Or would I have to start all over again?

Or do they have a feature where I can enter a new e-mail address and it all goes to the same e-mail folder?

BirdsOfPrey (3/25/2008)
jdu00743 (3/25/2008)
I already have an account there, but I would like to change my actual e-mail address...Is that possible?

Or would I have to start all over again?

Or do they have a feature where I can enter a new e-mail address and it all goes to the same e-mail folder?

I believe they have a feature where you can change the name. Like if you wanted to have it yourname@yourbusiness.com you can go in to settings and change it

Hmm...I'll check it out...Thanks.

To be more specific, here is what I'm talking about...

If my e-mail address now is yourname@gmail.com, I was wondering if I could make another e-mail address (for example yourname1@gmail.com) that if people sent mail to that e-mail address, it would go to the first one.

Kinda like when you type in www.espn.com, it goes to go.espn.com automatically (or used to at least).

BirdsOfPrey (3/25/2008)
I think you can do that but you would have to set the POP server to do it. You should be able to find everything in the "Settings" and then "Accounts". Gmail is pretty flexible

What exactly is POP if you don't mind me asking?

Do I need to do it from the POP/forwarding tab of settings?

BirdsOfPrey (3/25/2008)
POP is Post Office Protocol which is the system that retrieves email from a remote server, like Gmail's.

I think one way you can do it is go in to the 'Accounts" tab and set up a new email account. When you do that you will see an option that says:

Reply from the same address the message was sent to

Always reply from my default address (Your current address)

Then you can go to the 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab and have the mail from your new address forwarded to you old one, or visa versa.

So, if my e-mail address is yourname@gmail.com, and I wanted to receive mail from yourmail1@gmail.com in the same folder, I would have to create that alternate e-mail address on gmail, then get the mail from that address forwarded to the original (yourname@gmail.com)??

So, it would do that thing where it only checks it every 30 minutes or so?

jdu00743 (3/25/2008)

So, if my e-mail address is yourname@gmail.com, and I wanted to receive mail from yourmail1@gmail.com in the same folder, I would have to create that alternate e-mail address on gmail, then get the mail from that address forwarded to the original (yourname@gmail.com)??

So, it would do that thing where it only checks it every 30 minutes or so?

Bump

jdu00743 (3/25/2008)
TerminusTiercel (3/25/2008)
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1-awesome-gmail-tip-you-dont-know-about-seriously/

This might help you, jdu. I tried to copy and paste but it wont copy.

Thanks...So I can only do different addresses that are variations of the same name?

Yea thats kinda the idea i got from it too, but i thought it might help anyway.