ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas on the Falcons and Matt Ryan

BTW, I don't agree with his assessment -- but found the bold quote rather humorous.

Pat Yasinskas: Should the Falcons draft an immediate impact player to be the face of the franchise?

Joey Harrington might be OK for the short term, but what should the Falcons do for the future?

If the Falcons get a shot at Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, they HAVE to take him. Getting Ryan would be the best possible scenario for a franchise that's been through a lot of turmoil (Michael Vick, Bobby Petrino and DeAngelo Hall) in the past year. Those troubles, combined with the fact Atlanta is a baseball town, have made the Falcons less relevant than ever. The simple fact Ryan is a quarterback would create some buzz around a team that has none.

Ryan doesn't even have to play immediately and that actually may be the best route possible. Joey Harrington or Chris Redman can take the lumps in the short term and that may help prevent Ryan from becoming the second coming of David Carr. Drafting Ryan would show fans the Falcons are committed toward winning and doing things the right way in the long term. Ryan appears to have all the qualities to be the face of a franchise.

Virginia defensive end Chris Long and Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long are probably more ready to contribute right away, but the nature of their positions makes it hard to excite fans. A quarterback always creates a stir. Even if Ryan sits at first and the Falcons are bad, fans still can cheer for him to get on the field.

Matt Ryan creating buzz? He create buzz for the other teams to be ready for an easy pick. For some reason, ESPN is in love with him for us. Are they hearing rumor that we are really interested in Dorsey? They jump on Ryan because of one overrated drive vs. VT. How come he can't do it again in a much bigger game for the ACC championship?

UGA_DAWG46 (3/24/2008)
Matt Ryan creating buzz? He create buzz for the other teams to be ready for an easy pick. For some reason, ESPN is in love with him for us. Are they hearing rumor that we are really interested in Dorsey? They jump on Ryan because of one overrated drive vs. VT. How come he can't do it again in a much bigger game for the ACC championship?

I'm not saying I don't believe Ryan is not worth the #3 pick, I just think there's better QB value in the second round. No matter whether a team has a QB rated high or not, they won't take one without need in the first and second rounds. Therefore, a lot of highly rated QBs tend to slide in the draft to late first/early second. No need to take one at #3.

falcoholic (The Commish) (3/24/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (3/24/2008)

I'm not saying I don't believe Ryan is not worth the #3 pick, I just think there's better QB value in the second round. No matter whether a team has a QB rated high or not, they won't take one without need in the first and second rounds. Therefore, a lot of highly rated QBs tend to slide in the draft to late first/early second. No need to take one at #3.

Nothing against you. I was kind of bashing ESPN. I don't think he is even worth the top 5 pick. He stock has drop. He is projected to go 9th to the Ravens.

UGA_DAWG46 (3/24/2008)
falcoholic (The Commish) (3/24/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (3/24/2008)

Nothing against you. I was kind of bashing ESPN. I don't think he is even worth the top 5 pick. He stock has drop. He is projected to go 9th to the Ravens.

No problem -- I thought that the funniest part of the article was him calling Atlanta a 'baseball town'. Anyone remember the huge billboards the Braves did in 1991, quoting Tommy Lasorda -- "Atlanta will never be a baseball town." Thirteen division titles later... Um, Tommy... looks like you might have been wrong.

But of course, this is TATF, so enough baseball talk. I don't think I'm near as excited with what the Falcons do at #3 as I am interested with the strategy with the other second round picks. Now, THAT'S gonna be VERY INTERSTING!

A baseball town?!? LOL!

Sure, we love the Braves and their success at bringing a championship to Atlanta and we really love that we have the Little League World Champions, but the city, ****, the entire state is a football first state.

Georgia Tech is within the city limits and Georgia is right outside and close in Athens. Yaskinskas doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

UGA_DAWG46 (3/24/2008)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: