It has to be a rarity to start all 16 games at DE and not get a sack...

jdu00743

I honestly cannot think of any other players that have done this.

I mean it's one thing if the player just doesn't get any time on the field...But Jamaal was STARTING every single game this year!

We need to seriously re-examine what position he should be playing.

Having a rough go at it as a rookie is one thing, but not getting ONE sack with all that playing time is very, very discouraging.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamaalanderson/...gs?id=AND289942

cwell1 (3/24/2008)
Kenechi Udeze his 2nd season.Then he opened up this year sacking Joeys sorry butt.

Udeze:

5 his first year, started all 16 games

1 his second year, only played in 3 games

0 his third year, played all 16 games

5 his fourth year (last year), played in all 16 games

btheman71 (3/24/2008)
cwell1 (3/24/2008)
Kenechi Udeze his 2nd season.Then he opened up this year sacking Joeys sorry butt.

Udeze:

Well, we can always hope for production somewhere between 5 sacks and Michael Strahan's early years.

btheman71 (3/24/2008)
cwell1 (3/24/2008)

Udeze:

he's been in the NFL one year longer than I thought then.but don't u think not having sacks in your 3rd year is worst then having none your 1st year while not knowing all the ins and outs of the position yet?

Another anti anderson thread.

I guess we all know anderson is the new guy to hate...

Anderson was pretty good against the run and I remember countless times where he was double teamed and pressured the qb into making a bad throw.

He might not of got a sack but he was also on a defense that was extremely hurt.

If people remember last year our whole DEFENSE SUCKED.

zone3lb (3/24/2008)
No its not rare for a rookie. He did everything else well. In other words he defended the ends.

My coach once told me you can get all the sacks in the world, but if I can't stop the running back or kill a screen what good was the sack

Thank you. Someone who understands football here. These JA sucks threads are almost worst than these Shockey for Starting QB threads. Or the mock draft threads with us trading down and up for stuff. Sometime this board is more Comedy Central than Sportscenter.

215FalconsFanatic (3/24/2008)
zone3lb (3/24/2008)
No its not rare for a rookie. He did everything else well. In other words he defended the ends.

My coach once told me you can get all the sacks in the world, but if I can't stop the running back or kill a screen what good was the sack

Thank you. Someone who understands football here. These JA sucks threads are almost worst than these Shockey for Starting QB threads. Or the mock draft threads with us trading down and up for stuff. Sometime this board is more Comedy Central than Sportscenter.

haha these are now my two favorite people in atlanta...i've been saying all of this forever now. good to know someone else has a brain too.

cwell1 (3/24/2008)
Matthew Pritts (3/24/2008)
C'mon Jeff, surely you can't think that moving him inside is the best thing for him do you? He's way too tall for a DT.
don't pay any attention to those type of posts.Some even said move T.J. Duckett to FB.
Jeff is a buddy of mine and a pretty knowledgable FB fan, but he's really stretching it here.

cwell1 (3/24/2008)

No, he only played in like 4 games his 2nd season...And STILL had a sack.

And if we're being technical here, Udeze started 15 of 16 games his 3rd season and didn't get a sack...Close to how bad Anderson was, but not quite there.

I don't understand why people are making excuses for this stat?? It is just the way it is...It's a fact...He did NOT get a sack, even though he started ALL 16 games.

And please don't give me that "he was getting doubled" BS. :laugh:

HE HAD JOHN ABRAHAM ON THE OTHER SIDE!!

No one would double him over JA.

If you ran to his side and got 5+ yards a pop because he didn't contain why would a team NEED to pass? Stopping the run is very important-and that was a big question mark against him coming in as a rookie. A ROOKIE-meaning he still has a lot to learn for the position-I Think the fact that he hunkered down against the run is a very promising sign-he's learned the FUNDAMENTALS of his position rather than padding stats.

Robert L (3/24/2008)
If you ran to his side and got 5+ yards a pop because he didn't contain why would a team NEED to pass? Stopping the run is very important-and that was a big question mark against him coming in as a rookie. A ROOKIE-meaning he still has a lot to learn for the position-I Think the fact that he hunkered down against the run is a very promising sign-he's learned the FUNDAMENTALS of his position rather than padding stats.

If starting 16 games and not registering a sack was a normal ROOKIE thing, then I wouldn't be worried.

zone3lb (3/24/2008)

Wow, football talk. You may have to explain what a screen is for some of these haters on here.

I don't agree with the comment about sacks not being important if he does all the other things... A DE needs to get some pressure on the QB. That is a big part of what a DE does. You won't find many teams who can generate much of a pass rush with only the DT.

But I don't think we should ask this kid to change positions yet. If we don't start to see something this season, then we will know this is what we got. Then lets talk about changing positions. I personally think he is too small for DT.

stoned_jc7 (3/24/2008)
I don't agree with the comment about sacks not being important if he does all the other things... A DE needs to get some pressure on the QB. That is a big part of what a DE does. You won't find many teams who can generate much of a pass rush with only the DT.

But I don't think we should ask this kid to change positions yet. If we don't start to see something this season, then we will know this is what we got. Then lets talk about changing positions. I personally think he is too small for DT.

I am not advocating switching positions yet...I want to give him another FULL year at DE...

However, if his sack totals are nearly as bad as this past season...I think a move to DT or TE is inevitable.

As for him not being big enough...He is 6'6 280 lbs...Put 15-20 more pounds on him and we're gold.

Well get used to Anderson for the next couple of years and hope that he improves. The Falcons are going to stick with him for at leaswt 3 years being that he's a 1st rounder.

Josh Mallard, who the Falcons released last preseason, had 3.5 sacks and 1 forced fumble in 2007. That's as a backup.