Let's Be Realistic Gentlemen

trucking

Jake Long is a terrific athlete but we need to take care of our defense 1st and here's y. we were 29th on defense and 23rd on offense in 2007. now check this out. ny giants were 16th on offense and 7th on defense and won the sb. the next 1 will really blow u away. in 2001 the ravens were 24th on offense and 3rd on defense and won the sb. we will have a much better season if we take care of our defense 1st. wait a minute-weren't we 12th on offense in 2006 and 22nd on defense and couldn't make the playoffs? WOW:w00t:! come on fellows-lets build this team the right way so we can be proud of our team. 

Purple Label (3/23/2008)
Jake Long is like 6'7" 315? All muscle. You can't pass on a freak like that. I have been a Falcons Fan for years, and has never seen a great OL. We have too much talent invested on offense. Now it's time to protect it.

Let's be very clear about something. Jake Long is not a freak. He's a really big mauler with decent foot and good straightline quckness....Joe Thomas is a freak. Ogden and Pace were freaks. Walter Jones is a freak...Your talking about guys that big with feet, balance, and lateral agillity of a db.....Jake Long is most definitely not that type of player. He'll be a good player for a long time, but never a special kind of LT, and that's the only kind of olineman you can realistically spend a top 3 pick on, unless you have no other major needs.

Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston...even Ryan Clady, to a lesser extent, have a chance to be really special players....

I agree with what you're saying about taking care of our defense FIRST! IMO,

good defense wins ball games...but...on the other hand, you have to have a good enough offense to score some points (by the way, Elam was a great pick-up, good for 100+ points a year guaranteed)!

And I'd like to see us pick up a quarterback this year, and work him into the system (Brohm or even Ryan), and groom him for the future. And I really like the idea of Redman getting the snaps this year, and think that if we shore up our O line, it will give us a good indicator of how our new quarterback will be protected when his time comes.

But all and all...I'm very excited about the upcoming season, and I wish it started tomorrow! GO FALCONS!

brvslugger10 (3/23/2008)
Yeah those LT he listed above weren't questioned about their footwork. Long is questioned about it and it is hard to determine if he will be a LT.

People get excited about possibilies and we have no idea who in the top 10 will even be in the league 3 years from now.Yet everyone knows we need to do this or that.I looked at a old draft for 1992 today and 2 out of the top 10 had good careers.Crazy stuff.

I agree somewhat but I don't think w can overlook the O-line this year especially with a draft rich with O-lineman.  It would be nice to pick one late in the draft or even undrafted FA.  However I would dedicate 1-2 high picks in hoped of landing a future dominant all-pro hvery high and he turn into a dominant All_pro for years to come.

Jake Long is a VERY good player no doubt.

But I don't have him ranked higher than Dorsey, and our defense this season WILL depend a great deal on the speed of our pass rush. Many flaws in a cover 2 defense can be masked with a speedy and deadly pass rush. And our secondary will need some help at least for a while.

As far as the OL, I'll take Chris Williams from Vandy with our first #2, I think he as much better footwork than Long and is already an natural LT. If he is not there then the Clady kid from Bosie State is a good option.

Long is the chic pick at OL in this draft but I worry about his celing...is he as good as he is gonna be. I mean Gholston from Ohio State was all over him this year...if a Michigan guy can't get up for the Ohio State game I begin to worry about his motivation.

swamp stomper (3/23/2008)

But I don't have him ranked higher than Dorsey, and our defense this season WILL depend a great deal on the speed of our pass rush. Many flaws in a cover 2 defense can be masked with a speedy and deadly pass rush. And our secondary will nedd some help at least for a while.

As far as the OL, I'll take Chris Williams from Vandy with our first #2, I think he as much better footwork than Long and is already an natural LT. If he is not there then the Clady kid from Bosie State is a good option.

Long is the chic pick at OL in this draft but I worry about his celing...is he as good as he is gonna be. I mean Gholston from Ohio State was all over him this year...if a Michigan guy can't get up for the Ohio State game I begin to worry about his motivation.

You face a gholston every week in the NFL.

bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
swamp stomper (3/23/2008)

But I don't have him ranked higher than Dorsey, and our defense this season WILL depend a great deal on the speed of our pass rush. Many flaws in a cover 2 defense can be masked with a speedy and deadly pass rush. And our secondary will nedd some help at least for a while.

You face a gholston every week in the NFL.

Could not have said it better. 

Build that d-line first, get a stud like Dorsey or Ellis (in no particular order because they will both could have long careers if put in the right situation).  Let's make one of them a Falcon next month.