Revisiting some 2006 draft scouting profiles of Jamaal Anderson...why does it "suprise" so many he went sackless?

gazoo

Is clear that just as some screamed "RODDY WHITE IS A BUST" prematurely, despite all the facts some of us provided that showed we really needed to wait until the middle of year 3 to say that with any certaintly, these same type of posters are going to scream "ANDERSON IS NO BETTER THAN AUNDREY BRUCE".

Some here continue to ignore that Jamaal only played DE for 1 1/2 seasons and that almost all the scouting reports said he was very raw and would need time to develop.

Instead, these same guys that called Roddy a bust, are comparing Jamaals first year stats with DE's that played that position all throguhout college and high school.

Jamaal was a WR when he got to college. He only played a handful of games at DE one year, and then tore it up the next eyar as a full time DE. He got away with sloppy technique becuase he was so talaned and athletic in college, but in the NFL he needed to work on his game in a big way.

I'm excited about the kids future, but not one of us k now for sure how he is going to turn out. To call him a "bust" at this point is foolish and only reflects the fact that some fans don;t even know what that word means.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gazoo (3/24/2008)
Is clear that just as some screamed "RODDY WHITE IS A BUST" prematurely, despite all the facts some of us provided that showed we really needed to wait until the middle of year 3 to say that with any certaintly, these same type of posters are going to scream "ANDERSON IS NO BETTER THAN AUNDREY BRUCE".

Some here continue to ignore that Jamaal only played DE for 1 1/2 seasons and that almost all the scouting reports said he was very raw and would need time to develop.

Instead, these same guys that called Roddy a bust, arecomparing Jamaals first year stats with DE's that played that position all throguhout college and high school.

Jamaalwas a WR when he got to college. Heonly played a handful of games at DE one year, and then tore it up the next eyar as a full time DE. He got away with sloppy technique becuase he was so talaned and athletic in college, but in the NFL he needed to work on his game in a big way.

I'm excited about the kids future, but not one of us k now for sure how he is going to turn out. To call him a "bust" at this point is foolish and only reflects the fact that some fans don;t even know what that word means.

It means 'Anyone that got drafted when they wanted someone else instead."

gritzblitz

However to be honest why does it surprise folks that some people show concern that a very high first round pick--#8 overall, did not register a single sack.

I do agree that this is a "concern", but I do not agree (and I know you didn;'t use the term ) that we can apply the term "bust" to him.

The extremely limited time at DE he had prior to being drafted offsets most of my concerns thoug and tells me I need to be patient with him ad not compare his sack totals to guys that played several years at DE before being drafted.

chifalc

There's a lot to your statement.

We se it all the time from some of the fans, if it isn't/wasn't their guy on the field playing than any player in front of him  gets assassinated by them and anyone inolved in the decision to start/draft  a player in front of another player is an id.iot, doesn't have any idea what he's doing and needs to be fired immediately.

I am of the opinion there are more than 1 draft picks that will work at #3 this year, buit others here have their hearts set on a particular player, and if we do not draft that oe player, Blank must have interfered with the drafy, or everyone is an id.iot and the entire draft sucked becuase we have a newby GM that doesn;t know what he;s doing.

We see this nonsense year after year here!

gazoo (3/24/2008)
chifalc

We se it all the time from some of the fans, if it isn't/wasn't their guy on the field playing than any playerin front of him gets assassinated by them and anyone inolved in the decision to start/draft a player in front of another player is an id.iot, doesn't have any idea what he's doingand needs to be fired immediately.

I am of the opinion there are more than 1 draft picks that will work at #3 this year, buit others here have their hearts set on a particular player, and if we do not draft that oe player, Blank must have interfered with the drafy, or everyone is an id.iot and the entire draft sucked becuase we have a newby GM that doesn;t know what he;s doing.

On the other hand, if thier favorite got drafted and did poorly in their rookie season, you can bet those same posters would come equipped with boatloads of excuses why it was the fault of the 'rest of the team'.

cadman_30044 (3/24/2008)
As I recall Gains Adams was also available for the Falcons to draft at DE and wound up going to Tampa after we picked Anderson and had a great year. Anyway, hopefully Anderson will show some progress this year and provethat he was worthy of 1st round pick.

no

Gains adams was drafted before we went up

The bucs had the number 4 pick int he draft and we had the number 8.

Nice to see you around Gazoo!  I agree it will take him some time but I think he will be a stud for our team for a long time.  It's so true, he does play too high.  He will be alright, I have faith in what the coaching staff will help him develop into.

gazoo (3/24/2008)
chifalc

We se it all the time from some of the fans, if it isn't/wasn't their guy on the field playing than any player in front of him  gets assassinated by them and anyone inolved in the decision to start/draft  a player in front of another player is an id.iot, doesn't have any idea what he's doing and needs to be fired immediately.

It is Vick75, and we all know how hard he lobbied for the Falcons to trade the farm away for Calvin Johnson...

bigmildog (3/24/2008)
Nice to see you around Gazoo!  I agree it will take him some time but I think he will be a stud for our team for a long time.  It's so true, he does play too high.  He will be alright, I have faith in what the coaching staff will help him develop into.

thanks bigmildog, I can't wait to see how he does this year. 

I would not complain if I had seen just a little bit of improvement as the season went, Jamal seemed to get worse and was man handled by every RT we played. Add the fact that he did not have one sack with Abe chasing QB's at him. I'm thinking we got busted on this pick. Like they said Boom or Bust. I see Andre Bruce written all over him.

I think the thing many fans don't consider when saying they point out Andersons lack of sacks or say he is "slow" and so forth, is that OL use their hands much better in the NFL than from college and therefore DL ALSO has to know how to use their  hands.  Hands are critical in getting off blocks, and not allowing yourslef as a DL to get held.

While many point out they felt he "looked slow", I saw something different. I saw Anderson getting tied up in blocks and getting held at times (not blatant holds, but ones that held him up for a 1/2 second or so) 

When it comes to sacks, it comes to a matter of a fraction of a second most of the time. If you are busy playing pattycake with the RT all game on passing downs it is going to prevent you from getting sacks.

When they say Anderson was very, very, very raw, the fundamentals simply weren;t there from him that even colllege players start develop after a few years of playing whatever position they are in. Anderson played WR and switched to DE for a few games one year, and his last year in college was the only year he played DE for an entire season and he tore up up on raw athletic ability alone.

This underdevelopment based on a lack of playing time at his position makes it unreasonable to expect him to play like other top 10 draft pick rookie DE's have played over the years which is what many compare him to. Those guys played DE more than 1 season in their lives before reaching the NFL, Anderson did not.

There is a lot to learn for Anderson still, but I would not be counting him out just yet folks. Sure, it is possible he will never develop, but it is more possible IMO he may turn out to be a very good one still....only time will tell.

"A smooth athlete with excellent agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher who can be effective with either a bull-rush or finesse moves..."

I didnt see any of this last season. He was unable to get around the OL and wasnt able to overpower them either. Bash me if you want but Anderson had one of the best situations a Rookie DE could have fallen into and didnt do a **** thing with it except take advantage of the pre-game and post-game buffet.

The_ ATL (3/26/2008)
"A smooth athlete with excellent agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher who can be effective with either a bull-rush or finesse moves..."

I didnt see any of this last season. He was unable to get around the OL and wasnt able to overpower them either. Bash me if you want but Anderson had one of the best situations a Rookie DE could have fallen into and didnt do a **** thing with it except take advantage of the pre-game and post-game buffet.

Perhaps where you just see Anderson taking a long time to get to the QB or getting handled by an OL in the running game and deduce it is a lack of athletic ability, perhaps the scouts see the same thing you do but recognize the problem as a lack of fundamentals and raw technique.

This game is far more complex than many realize. Many think if a player struggled his rookie year it's because he's not talented enough....we saw this with Roddy White. "He's a bust",. Roddy's fundamentals were raw coming in from a small school and also was getting tied up in press coverage, used his hands poorly  allowing CBs to get their hands on him and hold him within the 5 yards.   Roddy constantly struggled to get separation his first year.....once Roddy developed the his "raw" talent he came in to the NFL with,  Roddy had an outstanding 3rd year. Roddy learned how to use his hands to keep CBs off him in press coverage for one thing and it's made him far more dangerous. 

Roddy Whites development is a good thing to consider when making premature judgements about Anderson. Roddy was prematirely judged by many on this board and proved them all wrong. Roddy got by in that small college on raw athletic ability alone, but once he hit the NFL he had 2 full years of learning before all that talent could transfer to NFL production.

luckyhole (3/26/2008)
... It isn't like we really wanted to draft him. Just kinda fell that way.

But why draft a guy we never worked out or interviewed or anything? Just let him keep on falling. Anderson got a ton of undeserved hype, McKay bought into it and now we're paying for it. I really think there were a lot of teams that examined Anderson closely laughing at us when we picked Anderson last year.

Striker42 (3/26/2008)
luckyhole (3/26/2008)

But why draft a guy we never worked out or interviewed or anything? Just let him keep on falling. Anderson got a ton of undeserved hype, McKay bought intoit and now we're paying for it. I really think there were a lot of teams that examined Anderson closely laughing at us when we picked Anderson last year.

bingo

Ps week have a new GM.;)

Striker42 (3/26/2008)
luckyhole (3/26/2008)

But why draft a guy we never worked out or interviewed or anything? Just let him keep on falling. Anderson got a ton of undeserved hype, McKay bought into it and now we're paying for it. I really think there were a lot of teams that examined Anderson closely laughing at us when we picked Anderson last year.

Same thing some here said about Roddy

Although it's simply to early to make the call based on how raw he was, the message board armchair GM can make the decalarations without regard to the reality of the situation, and if they accidentally turn out to be correct we will hear about it for years, and if they are proven wrong they will conveniently forget all about it and start calling a 2008 rookie a bust by game 10.

The world of the message board armchair GM, there is no accountability, so coming out and calling a player a "bust" before any reasonable person could conclude such a thing is simply a sport with some.

I'm not surprised that Jamaal Anderson struggled.  But I was hugely surprised that we drafted him at #8.  I didn't even think he was on the Falcons' radar before the draft.  I was really disappointed that day, and my disappointment was compounded each week when he failed to be a factor on the d-line at all.  I hope our new d-line coach and head coach can figure out how to get something out of him. 

The real problem is that he was a "project" going into the season but when we drafted him with the #8 overall pick to replace Kerney the Falcons put themselves in a position where we HAD to get production out of him.  We could have let Davis start and had the exact same production. I just didn't like the situation of having to start him.  We should have let him sit and learn...

Now I am hoping he will improve but I just read some of the "negatives" in his draft profiles and the scary part is that I still saw ALL of this at the end of the season.  The "cons" from his draft profiles below are real close to what I saw from him in the Seattle game. 

Still pretty raw and will need some technique work;

Will play too high and needs to display more consistent leverage;

He will struggle to separate from blocks at times;

Anderson is very, very, very, raw. His technique is sloppy;

means he'll have a hard time pursuing the run or chasing down a quarterback from behind;

Anderson needs to improve his technique, especially using his hands to keep offensive lineman off of him.

He needs to learn to effectively use pass rushing moves.

too intent on getting upfield and will go exceedingly wide, which opens his side up to screen plays.

Good thread. Jamaal is exactly as advertised - a raw prospect with huge potential upside.

Every rookie deserves to get at least 3 years to develop and establish himself at this level. The way that Roddy was being treated last year and that Jamaal is being treated by some people this year, is disgraceful.