Revisiting some 2006 draft scouting profiles of Jamaal Anderson...why does it "suprise" so many he went sackless?

gazoo

NFL Draft Countdown

by Scott Wright

Strengths: Has great size with a large frame and long arms...A smooth athlete with excellent agility...Strong and powerful...Terrific pass rusher who can be effective with either a bull-rush or finesse moves...Does a quality job versus the run...Motor runs non-stop...Very good in pursuit and has a burst to close...Is versatile and could play a number of different roles depending on the scheme he is in...Has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses: Does not have a lot of starting experience...Timed speed and quickness are good but not great...Still pretty raw and will need some technique work...Will play too high and needs to display more consistent leverage...He will struggle to separate from blocks at times...You could run the risk that he is simply a one-year wonder.

Notes: His father Glenn played college basketball at Gallaudet University...Had a terrific junior campaign in 2006 despite a lack of national recognition...Could easily fit in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive scheme...Similar to Richard Seymour and could be a poor-man's Mario Williams...Even though he's not yet a finished product this guy has all the tools to develop into a premier all-around defensive end in the pros.

Grade: First Rounder

Jamaal Anderson DE 6'5 288 Arkansas Jr. 4.75

By: Robert Davis, FOOTBALLS  FUTURE

Anderson is a former wide receiver that made a smooth transition to defensive end. As a freshman reserve, he was in on 18 tackles. As a sophomore, he was in the rotation, and started the last five games of the year after an injury, and he has taken off from that point. He had 47 tackles, 10.5 for loss, and four sacks that season. Anderson blew up as a junior, finishing with 65 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 13.5 sacks.

Jamaal Anderson is an absolute freak physically. Not only is he an excellent athlete, with great quickness and agility, but he has great size as well. He is a difference maker off the edge as a pass rusher. He dominated as a junior, and still has a ton of untapped potential. He could be an all around force at the next level.

Anderson is still adjusting to playing in the trenches, and is still a work in progress. He has been able to get by on his tremendous physical ability, but he will not be able to rely on that alone in the NFL. He declared after his junior year, only having about a season and a half of starting experience under his belt.

Anderson has the size and talent that will draw comparisons to Mario Williams and Julius Peppers, and he carries a great deal of upside at the next level. He had a solid showing in the post season, but probably not enough to overtake Gaines Adams as the top end in the draft. His upside is amazing, and he could make teams that do not select him regret it in the future.

The Huddle Report

by Drew Boylhart

STRENGTHS: Jamaal has the athletic talent, size, speed and strength to play his position. In fact, the skills that make the NFL drool with anticipation of a future dominating DE. He shows good strength to handle defending against the run along with a very good burst off the line to scare the bejesus out of any opposing QB. He has those long arms that he can use to knock down passes when he doesn t get to the QB -- and he is a good tackler. Jamaal could be the type of player that could make the players around him better. Jamaal could be a franchise DE for the team that drafts him.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE: Jamaal is not a very consistent player and until this year, it was hard to find him on the field when he played. He has one pass-rushing move right now and that move is to out-quick his opponent off the snap. If he is up against a good OT, he does not continue to fight if he is stopped from getting into the backfield off the snap. Right now, Jamaal is just a much better athlete than the players he s played against in college. He needs to improve in all phases of his game.

OVERALL: There is no doubt that Jamaal is a player that is a first round player, but he has so much to learn that it s shocking. He is a boom or bust pick with a buyer beware label right in the middle of his forehead. The draft is about drafting potential impact players and Jamaal is a potential impact player; however, I m not convinced that he has the work ethic to go along with that potential.

AboutFootball.com

Positives:

Big and surprisingly athletic for his size, Anderson can dominate opposing tackles with his power and surprising burst off the edge. Anderson is big already, but has the frame to add even further bulk, enough to play end in a 3-4 or take an under-tackle role in a 4-3 defense. But he's probably best suited for end with his style of play.

Negatives:

Anderson is very, very, very, raw. His technique is sloppy, and he frequently gets by on his unrefined ability and sheer strength. That does the job in college, but he'll have a harder time of it in the pros. He has a ton of burst and acceleration, but he doesn't have much speed to burst and accelerate to, which means he'll have a hard time pursuing the run or chasing down a quarterback from behind.

Overview:

Anderson is a high-quality prospect, but with how raw he is, he has a high bust potential. He'll still be a high pick on pure talent and his awesome potential (he could be the next Reggie White with the right coaching), but he should have stayed for his senior year. In the end, he'll probably be a mid-first round pick, with a chance at cracking the top ten.

WARROOM REPORT

Grade: 93

Strengths:

Anderson made the unusual switch from a top prep WR to an elite defensive end. He uses his long arms and athletic frame to get by offensive tackles. Anderson has the quick first step needed to rush the passer and uses his agility to make tackles in the open field. He has good feet and is able to make plays even when knocked off balance. Though not bulky, he has the necessary strength not to be liability in the rushing game.

Weaknesses:

Anderson needs to improve his technique, especially using his hands to keep offensive lineman off of him. He needs to learn to effectively use pass rushing moves. Despite being 288, he is just filling out and needs to add more bulk and muscle to maintain leverage against the strongest of offensive lineman. Anderson sometimes is too intent on getting upfield and will go exceedingly wide, which opens his side up to screen plays.

Overall:

.Jamaal Anderson made a living in the backfields of opposing SEC offenses in the 2006 season, racking up 19.5 TFL and 13.5 sacks. He uses his athletic frame, combined with above average agility, to easily handle slower offensive tackles. It will be interesting to see how Anderson handles the best offensive lineman at the next level. He is still developing as a player and has a very high upside if he can fill out and add strength while maintain his quickness. His technique should improve with NFL coaching and by all accounts he is a smart football player who works very hard on and off the field.

Footballmastermind.com

JAMAAL ANDERSON: DE (6-5 3/8, 288, 4.77) | Arkansas. Positives: Size, athleticism, speed, burst. Negatives: Consistency, strength, suddenness. Career Highlights: Jamaal Anderson led the SEC in sacks (13.5 for 95 yards) and led Arkansas with 26 quarterback hurries in 2006. Ranked second in SEC in tackles for a loss (19.5 for 108 yards). Ranks sixth on Arkansas career sack list with 17.5 despite starting only 19 of 36 games. Analysis: Jamaal Anderson has an excellent combination of size, athleticism, and speed. Anticipates the snap well and locates the ball quickly. Shows excellent flexibility and knee bend to turn the corner. Generates power playing with leverage, keeping pads low and maintaining balance. Uses good shoulder lean, long arms, active hands (at times), quickness, and spin moves to slip blocks. Displays excellent closing burst to the quarterback. Makes good reads. Shows excellent anticipation and change of direction agility to beat double teams. Demonstrates quick feet and can pursue and close on the ball carrier, reaching out and dragging him down before he turns the corner. Can hold the point of attack when using proper technique and leverage. Chokes running lanes by getting good leverage on blockers and disengaging to reach out and tackle the ball carrier. Effective on stunts and twists. Shows strong effort and plays to the whistle. Tenacious, instinctive, and intelligent. But Anderson lacks ideal strength and suddenness. Struggles to disengage from large offensive linemen at times. Fails to jolt blockers with strong hands. Can be fooled by play action and misdirection at times. Takes wide angles to targets at times, exposing him on draws and screens. Plays too high and fails to use good technique at times. Lacks consistent tackling technique. Appears a bit lethargic at times early in games and needs contact to get revved up. Was switched from right end to left end in 2006, meaning he was lined up opposite the right tackle, usually the lesser of an offense s pass blockers. Benefited from Arkansas frequent use of stunts and blitzes to him free up to pressure the quarterback. Lacks ideal experience at defensive end, having arrived at Arkansas as a wide receiver. Sat out NFL Combine runs and drills due to a hamstring strain but did everything as his March 13 pro day. Bottom Line: Jamaal Anderson is a speed rusher who uses quickness rather than strength to get to the quarterback. Knows sign language (his father is deaf) and shows good overall intelligence. He s a first round prospect.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huddle Report said "he has so much to learn it's shocking"

I have not been bashing Jamaal at all becuase I KNEW going into last year he was raw and undeveloped. I had no expectations and was pleasnatly surprised he picked up the running game as well as he did. He was better than I would have anticipated, but that's becuase I had low expecations, as any sane fan would based on his limited experience.

He may still need another year after this before we see for sure what kind of player he is going to be. I am excited about keeping track of his progress and have my fingers crossed.

brvslugger10 (3/23/2008)
He is raw and and technique issues to sum up the negatives.

That and the fact that he plays too **** high. I was screaming at him the entire season to "get his big azz down!"

I sure hope the new coaching staff can teach this kid better. He (Jamaal) also needs to take his cues from the master on the other side from him. Abe use 4 different stances when he plays in order to beat blocks and utilize his speed and power.

Statick (3/23/2008)
brvslugger10 (3/23/2008)
He is raw and and technique issues to sum up the negatives.

That and the fact that he plays too **** high. I was screaming at him the entire season to "get his big azz down!"

I sure hope the new coaching staff can teach this kid better. He (Jamaal) also needs to take his cues from the master on the other side from him. Abe use 4 different stances when he plays in order to beat blocks and utilize his speed and power.

lol I just looked at what was going on in your sig

The Falcon Ace (3/23/2008)
So is this what it's like to be on a winning team's board?

Me, Bird, Gazoo, Malk, other major posters here all agree on something...

Things are truely changing...

Have they put something in the local water?

:hehe:

gazoo (3/23/2008)

Have they put something in the local water?

Perhaps the boards are being restored to sanity ?

:hehe:

Anderson and Abraham could yet be a top tandem. If

we don't draft that impact player in the middle, we could

still be alright rotating the big bodies we have picked up.

You picked a very key guy to our success to look at because

he went from 13.5 sacks at Arkansas to zero and the likelihood

of that happening again are slim. If he has a ton of upside we

will know it by the end of this season.

Gazoo,

I have not given up on J Anderson and you make some points.  hopefully he will show some improvements this year.

However to be honest why does it surprise folks that some people show concern that a very high first round pick--#8 overall, did not register a single sack. He is playing a position that is judged by sacks and he did not register a single sack despite playing every game and going against single man a majority of the time.  I think on most teams this would raise eyebrows and judge this disappointing.

I think stronger interior preence on his side of the ball will help. And like I said I have not given up on him but I'm sure much more is expected from him this year.  Goodluck Jammal, we are all counting on you.

I believe we should see some improvement in Jamal this season.  Smith brought over Ray Hamilton, the D-Line coach from Jax and he did a good job with their line.  So, Jamal should get the coaching he needs to step it up and live up to his potential.  If he doesn't, I'm sure TD and Smith will put the best players on the field.  One thing I know for sure with this regime is that nobody is safe.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

THe maion thing it tells you is just how polarizing certain players, and coaches, were. ENough so that they poisoned the well even on all the other players.

I believe that JA will have a find Sophmore season under the guidance of the new coaching staff.  DL Coach Hamilton's work with the DE's like Spicer and Hayword down in Jax. should attest to his ability to turn athletic talent into NFL production.  J. Michael's article from the homepage points out many of the facets of the game that I believe weren't stressed in JA's rookie season by Wolfhauser or WTF's his name:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• I'm very fundamental-oriented. Basically the fundamentals of playing defensive line don't change from Pop Warner, to high school to college -- good feet, good hands, good pad level. Those are basic fundamentals you have to work on to be a good defensive lineman."
  • Offensive lineman are big, fat hogs that hold you -- if you let them. That's why it's tough for defensive linemen to come into the league and be successful if they don't have a good coach to teach them how to use their hands and keep offensive linemen from holding them.
  • If you don't know how to play and how to use your hands to keep that guy from holding you it's tough. You don't have to be big in order to stop the run. You have to be disruptive and be able to get off blocks, read blocks and move your feet. In order to be a good pass rusher you have to first be a good run-stopper."

• <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Hamilton's teaching method has proven success; Henderson and Stroud combined for five Pro Bowls during his time in Jacksonville. From 2001-2002, he was the defensive line coach for Cleveland as the Browns tied for fourth in the AFC with 43 sacks. In 1998, Hamilton's Patriots defensive line tallied 25 of the team s 36 sacks, which was the seventh-best total in the NFL.

I think that JA is the type of DLinemen that can excell so long as his position coach drills into his head to keep his pads low, use his long arms and good hands to keep the OL off of him and learn a few new pass rush moves. 

• :cool:

Jamaal didn't have very much success under his previous coach, Coach Zimmer (who was a highly regarded coach). And it is not likely he will have a breakout season under Mike Smith.

Jamaal is still performing worse than Aundray Bruce did in 1988. bruce had six sacks in each of his first two years.

Jamaal going to the weight room isn't going correct his bigger problem-- he isn't that good of a defensive end.

He is going to have to change positions... somewhere, sooner or later!;)

jsettle 44 (3/23/2008)
Jamaal didn't have very much success under his previous coach, Coach Zimmer (who was a highly regarded coach). And it is not likely he will have a breakout season under Mike Smith.

Jamaal is still performing worse than Aundray Bruce did in 1988. bruce had six sacks in each of his first two years.

Jamaal going to the weight room isn't going correct his bigger problem-- he isn't that good of a defensive end.

Once again, ignore facts and cherry pick what you want to fit your absolute statements... Vick75 is at it again...

In order to be a good pass rusher you have to first be a good run-stopper."

i never really thought of it that way, but i suppose it does make a lot of sense. hopefully this guy gives jamaal the coaching help he could have used last year.

im personally excited for jamaal, i think he will get his first sack this year and ill be watching when he does. im pullin for ya jamaal, have a great year!

jsettle 44 (3/23/2008)

He is also only in his first year. YOu can't judge a draftee - especially one who comes IN with the caveat that they are 'Raw' - in their first year, and probably not even the second.