Pastor compares Rev.Wright to Jesus

saint vitus

LOL, I just knew this was coming!!!:hehe: 

CHICAGO The new pastor of Barack Obama s church delivered a defiant defense of its retiring reverend Sunday, comparing media coverage of Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. to a modern-day lynching that resembles Jesus death at the hands of the Romans.

In a sunrise Easter sermon, Rev. Otis Moss III never mentioned Wright by name, but implied that his mentor, who has delivered sermons in which he likened the U.S. to the Ku Klux Klan and declared it damned for its state-sponsored terrorism, is facing the same challenges Jesus did. No one should start a ministry with lynching, no one should end their ministry with lynching, Moss said.

The lynching was national news. The RNN, the Roman News Network, was reporting it and NPR, National Publican Radio had it on the radio. The Jerusalem Post and the Palestine Times all wanted exclusives, they searched out the young ministers, showed up unannounced at their houses, tried to talk with their families, called up their friends, wanted to get a quote on how do you feel about the lynching? he continued.

The criticism surrounding Wright has not softened the services at Trinity United Church of Christ, where Obama has been a congregant for 20 years. Instead, Moss defiantly defended their method of worship, referencing rap lyrics to make his point. If I was Ice Cube I d say it a little differently You picked the wrong folk to mess with, Moss said to an enthusiastic congregation, standing up during much of the sermon, titled How to Handle a Public Lynching.

Wright s sermons were criticized for casting the country as institutionally racist and Obama sharply condemned Wright s remarks as racially divisive in a high-profile speech Tuesday, though the candidate would not renounce the pastor himself. Church officials said Wright, who is now on sabbatical and entering retirement after nearly 40 years of service with the church, was not attending any service Sunday.

Obama and his family were spending Easter on vacation and also were not attending services.

Though the church recently moved a once-prominent section on its Web site about the Black Value System, the congregation still describes itself as unashamedly black and unapologetically Christian. A plaque states this prominently behind the front desk.

The sermons Sunday, which kept references to Wright as a common thread, implied that the firestorm over Wright s remarks has taken the church s teachings out of context.

Bishop Vashti Murphy McKenzie, the first female bishop in the AME Church, also delivered a sermon, in which she talked about visionaries like King and Gandhi and Jeremiah (it was unclear whether she meant Wright), and argued that their words weren t about anger, but about a passion that demands confrontation.

The purveyors of information are trying to be judge and jury over prophetic utterances, she said.

The church program handed out Sunday also included an essay called Not on My Watch from the Rev. Samuel B. McKinney of Mount Zion Baptist Church in Seattle. McKinney said he was greatly disturbed by the media feeding frenzy that has tarnished everyone in the process.

Dr. Wright represents the best among us & An attack on this man of God is an attack on all those of the cloth who believe in the social Gospel of liberation. And I will not stand for it, he wrote.

Moss issued several pleas to congregants to donate to what he called the Resurrection Fund, stressing that during this time of battle, money is needed to defend the church. He offered no additional specifics about the fund, telling churchgoers he didn t want to get into it because Trinity is streaming the service live on the Web and the services are available for purchase on DVD.

He concluded with another analogy, saying, In order to crucify him you ve got to lift him up & he had more visibility on the cross than he did during his entire ministry.

:w00t:

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/23/in...right-to-jesus/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saint vitus (3/23/2008)
MrPickles (3/23/2008)
He just preaching through a black set of eyes. Alot of older blacks think that way. Can't say I blame them.

Older black people setting a fine example for the younger generation like Obama.;)

No they journey has been much different from the younger peoples journey. They just say what they know and how they life has been. My grandad view about America is way different than mine.

I just googled some Ice Cube lyrics... I wish I hadn't.

"Bust a Glock; devils get shot. . . . when God give the word me herd like the buffalo through the neighborhood; watch me blast. . . . I'm killing more crackers than Bosnia-Herzegovina, each and everyday. . . . don't bust until you see the whites of his eyes, the whites of his skin. . . . Louis Farrakhan . . . Bloods and CRIPS, and little old me, and we all getting ready for the enemy" "Enemy"; Ice Cube, Lethal Injection, 1993, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

saint vitus (3/23/2008)

"Bust a Glock; devils get shot. . . . when God give the word me herd like the buffalo through the neighborhood; watch me blast. . . . I'm killing more crackers than Bosnia-Herzegovina, each and everyday. . . . don't bust until you see the whites of his eyes, the whites of his skin. . . . Louis Farrakhan . . . Bloods and CRIPS, and little old me, and we all getting ready for the enemy" "Enemy"; Ice Cube, Lethal Injection, 1993, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

Ice Cube is a legend in the rap game. I love that album

MrPickles (3/23/2008)
saint vitus (3/23/2008)

Ice Cube is a legend in the rap game. I love that album

Evidently, so does that so called "holyman" of trinity church.

This #### is racist. BOOOOOOOO!!!

saint vitus (3/23/2008)
They have the nerve to say their being "lynched" when this is the poison they spew!!!!

Here are the rest of those lyrics to "Enemy" from Ice Cube if you have a stomach-

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.ph

p?lid=8946

Well at least cube is well rounded he has some black hate and white hate as well. If the pastor is from that Ice cube genaration I would like to hear him preach.

marvinthemartian (3/23/2008)
Ramen (3/23/2008)
I think lynching is an appropriate word for the smear campaign against him and Obama.

Lynching involved hanging and killing people with or without trial by jury. There is absolutely no comparison here.

It's needlessly killing the man's reputation without a proper trial. I've listened (and watched) Wright's entire 9/11 speech, and other than talking politics from the pulpit (which I hate on principle), I saw nothing wrong with it. Frankly, I was extremely impressed by the sermon's message of love and the need to avoid turning our grief post-911 into a murderous rage against innocents such as what happened in Psalm 137.

No, a bunch of Hillary hacks (or rightwing hacks) decided to take quotes out of context and string them together into a collage that gives the opposite impression than what was actually said. IOW, they tried to assassinate the man's character using deceit and no small amount of racism.

I call that a lynching.

And let me be clear about what I meant when I said "I saw nothing wrong with it"...

I saw nothing that was racist or hateful about the speech. Quite the opposite, Pastor Wright was preaching AGAINST the blind hatred that comes from being wrongly attacked by an enemy. The message of his sermon is completely opposite of what was conveyed by the YouTube videos.

People cherry-picked the most intense moments of the sermon, took the quotes out of context, and misrepresented the content of Wright's statements.

It does fit in the sense that there is a mob mentality, most notably the media, that is attacking a person character by association.

Rev. Wright is speaking from his point of view. This country was founded with slavery and blacks weren't truly free until the 1960s (depending on when your neighborhood decided to act right). After slavery, there was sharecropping. Sharecropping was just another form of slavery. The American government allowed this stuff to happen. Especially when you look at how Rutherford B. Hayes brokered a deal to become President. He withdrew federal troops from the South (post civil war protection for the newly freed slaves). Distrust has been in the American government. The distrust isn't going to go away in 50-60 years. It took time to earn the distrust and it takes time to earn trust back.

However, if blacks were unpatriotic, we could have done a whole lot worse than spew angry words. Think about the fact that many black women were housekeepers and raised white children. Heck, both FDR's Warm Springs personal driver and cook were black. No one could have affected the country more than the cook of the President's food. We are just as patriotic as any other people, but we have been dealt different reality.

I have shared my story on here before. I am 33 years old. So, I did not grow up during the Jim Crow time. However, I remember being the first black family in south Clayton County. I remember spray paint on the house and the blown up mailboxes during the late 1970s. I remember coming home from school one day while I was in the first grade and finding my cocker spaniel's severed head on my front step with a very nasty note attached it. What 7 year old kid needs to deal with that. This happened in 1981. Not slave time or jim crow time. It was just two years before Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and three before "We are the World". However, I went on the graduate from a then-predominantly white Lovejoy High and get an academic scholarship to UGA. I graduated from there while my dad didn't even have the opportunity to attend because he was black. The first blacks didn't attend until 1961. (Dr. Hamilton Holmes -yes the same one that the MARTA station is named after- and Charlene Hunter were the first) Although my dad was valedictorian of his high school class, he was turned away because of his skin.

I didn't carry any hate as a result of the early experiences; however, I am don't see the America as flawless either. It doesn't make me unpatriotic either.

I have a different view of America than those who didn't experience that. Which leads me back to Rev. Wright. I can imagine that Rev. Wright endured things worse than I did in his life and I can understand his words. I may not agree with the tone, but I understand what he was saying. I see it more as a vent than anything else. I like Obama's stance in this situation the most. He loves his pastor including his flaws, and no one should be able to take that from him. That's what true Christianity (and many other religions) entails: Unconditional love.

Ramen (3/23/2008)
I think lynching is an appropriate word for the smear campaign against him and Obama.

While I don't agree with Pastor Wright's methods, I see him as a good person that is polluted with some resentment towards racist whites. But because I have this wonderful tool called common sense, I know where that resentment comes from, so like Huckabee (whom I have a new found respect for) said, we need to cut some slack.

Of course you and I did not hang blacks and beat them in the streets or own them as slaves, but not until the civil rights movement of the 60's were they liberated from segregation. This pastor lived through those despicable years of when some of our grandparents, great grandparents and even some parents fought to keep segregation in place.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The actions of those before us have led us to where we are now, we can not change the past but we have to face it to forge a future that corrects for their imbalance.

It will take a couple more generations, but I think that if we work together we can overcome racial division together. This is part of the CHANGE that many Americans seek, myself and Obama included.

This country needs conservatives to maintain balance, they are the ones that hold on to the proven methods like the free market, but sometimes they tend to hold on to the failed methods as well :( 

America is ready for change, and change is coming.

It's amazing the amount of undercover bias that goes on in this country. Obama is held accountable for what another grown man thinks and says, while nobody else is. Is Bush held accountable for what Pat Robertson (according to Bush and Pat they are very close friends) says? Do we call Bush homophobic and anti-gay because of what Pat says on the 700 club? No, just like we don't hold you accountable for what your friends may or may not say. I am willing to put my whole month's salary that some of the people making the most noise about this has at least one friend who has views that are flat out wrong and you disagree with but you aren't held accountable for their views.

Anansi (3/24/2008)
It's amazing the amount of undercover bias that goes on in this country. Obama is held accountable for what another grown man thinks and says, while nobody else is. Is Bush held accountable for what Pat Robertson (according to Bush and Pat they are very close friends) says? Do we call Bush homophobic and anti-gay because of what Pat says on the 700 club? No, just like we don't hold you accountable for what your friends may or may not say. I am willing to put my whole month's salary that some of the people making the most noise about this has at least one friend who has views that are flat out wrong and you disagree with but you aren't held accountable for their views.

True dat, but there is also no small amount of latent racism underlying the smear attacks on Obama. Anyone who listens to Wright's 9/11 sermon realizes how badly misleading those YouTube videos are. I'm convinced that the people who created those collages were gambling that most white Americans had never seen a charismatic*** church service, let alone a charismatic service given by a black man. They knew how unfamiliar and jarring it would be, and how it would play on people's racial biases. It's just like the fake quote being sent via email where Obama supposedly said that he would "stand by" the muslims (the word "muslim" was added to the sentence and he wasn't even talking about muslims in the paragraph) -- it is bigoted on a level that is very hard to describe.

***"Charismatic refers to denominations such as Pentecostals and the Church of Christ, not the colloquial use of the word to describe a personality characteristic.

Ramen (3/24/2008)

True dat, but there is also no small amount of latent racism underlying the smear attacks on Obama. Anyone who listens to Wright's 9/11 sermon realizes how badly misleading those YouTube videos are. I'm convinced that the people who created those collages were gambling that most white Americans had never seen a charismatic*** church service, let alone a charismatic service given by a black man. They knew how unfamiliar and jarring it would be, and how it would play on people's racial biases. It's just like the fake quote being sent via email where Obama supposedly said that he would "stand by" the muslims (the word "muslim" was added to the sentence and he wasn't even talking about muslims in the paragraph) -- it is bigoted on a level that is very hard to describe.

***"Charismatic refers to denominations such as Pentecostals and the Church of Christ, not the colloquial use of the word to describe a personality characteristic.

That's a good point I was watching on Fox News and the panel was talking about how the preacher seem down right angry and passionate about his venom. And I was thinking the way he was preaching in terms of the style is what you will see from most black Pentecostal churches he wasn't angry but the sermons are always preached with passion. I also read the sermon notes from the sermon after 9/11 and thought it was a very good sermon but when ever you take something out of context it can look worst than it is. It's almost like when people take the Bible out of context to discredit Christianity. Also it's very disappointing to know that instead of informing themselves and going and finding the notes or video of the whole sermon they are willing to go off small clips and run with it. My feeling is that a some people have been looking for a reason not to vote for Obama and since there really isn't many legitimate reasons they will accept anything to soothe their conscience for not voting for him when the fact of the matter is they aren't voting for him because of a much larger issue they may have.

Ramen (3/24/2008)
Anansi (3/24/2008)

Thankfully this happened early in the process, those that would have voted for Obama and have changed their minds due to this BS will come back when they realize the truth. This will also bring new blood into his campaign as more disgruntled republicans join the movement.

Moss defiantly defended their method of worship, referencing rap lyrics to make his point. If I was Ice Cube I d say it a little differently You picked the wrong folk to mess with, Moss said to an enthusiastic congregation, standing up during much of the sermon, titled How to Handle a Public Lynching.

If I was Ice Cube I d say it a little differently" In other words-

Bust a Glock; devils get shot. . . . when God give the word me herd like the buffalo through the neighborhood; watch me blast. . . . I'm killing more crackers than Bosnia-Herzegovina, each and everyday. . . . don't bust until you see the whites of his eyes, the whites of his skin. . . . Louis Farrakhan . . . Bloods and CRIPS, and little old me, and we all getting ready for the enemy" "Enemy"; Ice Cube, Lethal Injection, 1993, Priority Records, Thorn EMI; now called The EMI Group, United Kingdom.

Am I taking this out of context?  Lets hear someone Candy coat that!:hehe:

Anansi (3/24/2008)
Ramen (3/24/2008)

That's a good point I was watching on Fox News and the panel was talking about how the preacher seem down right angry and passionate about his venom. And I was thinking the way he was preaching in terms of the style is what you will see from most black Pentecostal churches he wasn't angry but the sermons are always preached with passion. I also read the sermon notes from the sermon after 9/11 and thought it was a very good sermon but when ever you take something out of context it can look worst than it is. It's almost like when people take the Bible out of context to discredit Christianity. Also it's very disappointing to know that instead of informing themselves and going and finding the notes or video of the whole sermon they are willing to go off small clips and run with it. My feeling is that a some people have been looking for a reason not to vote for Obama and since there really isn't many legitimate reasons they will accept anything to soothe their conscience for not voting for him when the fact of the matter is they aren't voting for him because of a much larger issue they may have.

The great irony is that the very part of the Bible that Wright was preaching on (Psalm 137) is precisely the one that a lot of atheists and agnostics use to criticize Christianity. The criticism is that the Bible condones killing innocent children, even bashing their brains against rocks, and therefore Christianity is an evil religion.

Some of the Christians who would instantly recognize that the Bible was being used out of context are the very ones attacking Wright as "hateful" and "racist" for preaching about the proper context of that very Psalm!

Again, when you start poking around the smear attacks against Obama (and now Wright), you start to wonder what is going through these people's minds. Some part of it is unquestionably based in deep-seated racism and latent prejudice against blacks.

deathdawg (3/24/2008)
Thankfully this happened early in the process, those that would have voted for Obama and have changed their minds due to this BS will come back when they realize the truth. This will also bring new blood into his campaign as more disgruntled republicans join the movement.

It definitely inoculates Obama against future attacks based on things his pastor said. If the GOP tries to use these Wright clips in commercials against Obama then it's likely to backfire as "negative attack ads".

I also think that a lot of reporters are starting to realize how badly they were duped when they jumped on the feeding frenzy surrounding Wright. Several of them are looking at the full context of the church and realizing that the YouTube clips misrepresent the sermons.

Some of Wright's sermons were divisive and wrong, to be sure. But to label him as "racist" and "extremist" is equally wrong. As always, the truth winds up squarely between the shrill partisan tripe being spouted from both sides.