are we going to copy the Browns draft plan from last year?

zgotts

Dimitroff has already said he really loved the way the Browns managed their draft last year, and given the areas of need for the Falcons this year, and the prospects available in the draft i think TD plans to do exactly what the Browns did. obviously it would require some help as we would need Jake Long to drop to 3, but this could be what happens:

at #3 overall, draft OT Jake Long (our version of the Browns Joe Thomas).

then, depending on how the draft plays out, towards the end of the first round trade the top 2nd round pick and a 6th or 7th to ensure that we get Brian Brohm (the same way the Browns got Quinn.

of course, this may not be necessary, particularly if Miami takes Ryan at no1, because they really seems to be the only threat to take Brohm before we pick at 34.

while this move may not be completely necessary, i'd be happy with ensuring this pick. I think he's a better prospect than any other 2nd round guys. i like Flacco but i don't like the risk of the jump he'd have to make from DII. Brohm has the smarts and the skills to be a very solid starter in a year. then with are next 2 picks, take a DT and another O-lineman or CB.

i don't think Brohm is equal to the other 2nd round prospects. last year he was a top 15 prospect, then had to deal with a major change with coaching and system, yet still managed to produce.

i wouldn't be upset with this at all, and out draft could turn out something like this.

1st round- OT Jake Long

1st round (after trade)- QB Brian Brohm

2nd round- DT Pat Sims

2nd round- CB Charles Godfrey

This would be outsanding IMO. All we'd be losing is one 6th rounder. the chances of that guy turning out are slim and we have so many other picks as it is that we may not even have the money to sign him. in the end, that one extra pick is worth trading away to ensure we get the best QB prospect not named Matt Ryan.

umm, the browns traded more than a 2nd and a 6th or 7th..They traded thier 2nd and thier 1st rnd pick this year to move up to 22..

We got too many holes to do that, and if we trade away our 1st next season, I'll be upset

I say we get either henne,woodson, or Flacco in the second..

Flacco could fall in the second easily, im sure teams will be scared to draft him because of the lack of comptetion

i don't think that's what it would take because we'd probably only be moving up 3 or 4 spots, whereas the Browns moved up around 12 or 13. according to the draft pick trade chart, the 30th overall pick for the 34th overall pick and a high 5th round pick would be an equal trade. so we'd give up a 5th instead of a 6th, not a big deal to me.

I agree completely. I don't know why the media loves Ryan and hates Brohm, but anyone who followed Brohm's career should know he is clearly the #1 QB prospect available in this year's draft.

I'm hoping and praying he slides into the 30s, but I just don't think it's going to happen. I wouldn't mind trading back in to the lower half of the 1st round to get him at all, assuming it's for the right price ... say, one of our 2nd round picks and our 4th round pick?

The important thing is to leapfrog Miami's 2nd round selection so that we get the QB we want. :D

Of course, it's all a moot point if someone like CHI or CAR takes Brohm in the middle part of the 1st.

Of course, it's all a moot point if someone like CHI or CAR takes Brohm in the middle part of the 1st.

that's the one scenario that scares me, and it definitely could happen if one of them feels like taking a risk. after them though there really is no one threatening to take Brohm until Miami picks at the top of the 2nd.

bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
When did thomas say he loved the browns draft last year?

In the AJC in an article about drafting Long:

"Here are two more words: Cleveland Browns. By drafting Long, the Falcons would have a decent chance to evolve into a Cleveland franchise that went from nothing to something in a hurry. That s because Browns officials had the foresight to use their No. 3 pick overall last year to draft Joe Thomas as their nearly flawless Wisconsin man of 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds. They stuck Thomas at left tackle, and then they watched all sorts of splendid things happen.

With Long, the Falcons could have Thomas-like results.

Hey, you know. I could not agree with you more on that, said Thomas Dimitroff, showing considerable wisdom with such a comment after barely two months on the job as the Falcons general manager. I know [browns general manager] Phil Savage well, and I ve lauded him on his approach last year, because what he did with Thomas was really help the quarterback [Derek Anderson] out who was sort of still in the growth process.

An offensive lineman can really set the tone. You can continue to build, and [we could] sort of refine what we have along the offensive line, and I think it could open up a lot of possibilities.

Glad that s settled. So, is it OK to tell the world right now that the Falcons definitely will use their first pick on Jake Long, a noted perfectionist who was associated with only two penalties and two sacks in his four seasons at Michigan?

Dimitroff replaced his answer with a hearty laugh, before saying, He s definitely a heckuva talent.

Orange_Crush (3/23/2008)
bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
When did thomas say he loved the browns draft last year?

In the AJC in an article about drafting Long:

"Here are two more words: Cleveland Browns. By drafting Long, the Falcons would have a decent chance to evolve into a Cleveland franchise that went from nothing to something in a hurry. That s because Browns officials had the foresight to use their No. 3 pick overall last year to draft Joe Thomas as their nearly flawless Wisconsin man of 6-foot-6 and 313 pounds. They stuck Thomas at left tackle, and then they watched all sorts of splendid things happen.

With Long, the Falcons could have Thomas-like results.

Hey, you know. I could not agree with you more on that, said Thomas Dimitroff, showing considerable wisdom with such a comment after barely two months on the job as the Falcons general manager. I know [browns general manager] Phil Savage well, and I ve lauded him on his approach last year, because what he did with Thomas was really help the quarterback [Derek Anderson] out who was sort of still in the growth process.

An offensive lineman can really set the tone. You can continue to build, and [we could] sort of refine what we have along the offensive line, and I think it could open up a lot of possibilities.

Glad that s settled. So, is it OK to tell the world right now that the Falcons definitely will use their first pick on Jake Long, a noted perfectionist who was associated with only two penalties and two sacks in his four seasons at Michigan?

Dimitroff replaced his answer with a hearty laugh, before saying, He s definitely a heckuva talent.

Sounds like he liked the approach.Love.....his dad worked for the browns and so did he.Throwing some kudos at your old team is being nice.I belive we could draft long I just dont see him being there at 3.The rams seem like the team to get him.

HONESTLY I DONT THINK WE WILL HAVE TO TRADE UP, BECAUSE TEAMS HAVE OTHER NEEDS THEN QUARTERBACK. ONLY MIAMI, MINNESOTA, RAVENS, KANSAS CITY, AND CHICAGO NEED A QB OTHER THAN THE FALCONS.

MIAMI WILL FORTIFY THEIR LINES FIRST

BALTIMORE OR KANSAS CITY WILL PROLLY DRAFT MATT RYAN IF HE SLIDES THAT FAR

MINNESOTA WILL DRAFT A D-LINEMAN

CHICAGO WILL TAKE A RECEIVER OR AN O LINEMAN

AT WORST RYAN AND BROHM WILL BE GONE BY WHEN WE PICK IN THE SECOND SO WE CAN PICK UP FLACCO OR SOMEONE SERVICEABLE!

bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
I dont get the flacco hype.Hes a shotgun qb from a small school.I wouldnt touch him before the 4th round.

at first i was high on Flacco, but i agree with you now. He has potential, but there's sooooo much more risk invovled with him compared to Brohm. I guarantee Brohm ends up with a more productive career than Flacoo, and i think he has a solid chance to be the best QB to come out of this draft.

zgotts (3/23/2008)
bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
I dont get the flacco hype.Hes a shotgun qb from a small school.I wouldnt touch him before the 4th round.

at first i was high on Flacco, but i agree with you now. He has potential, but there's sooooo much more risk invovled with him compared to Brohm. I guarantee Brohm ends up with a more productive career than Flacoo, and i think he has a solid chance to be the best QB to come out of this draft.

I dont dislike flacco.He seems like a decent project for some team.Not right for our situation.If your even looking for a 2nd qb he will take a few years to know if he can do that.

virginiafalcon (3/23/2008)
I agree completely. I don't know why the media loves Ryan and hates Brohm, but anyone who followed Brohm's career should know he is clearly the #1 QB prospect available in this year's draft.

I'm hoping and praying he slides into the 30s, but I just don't think it's going to happen. I wouldn't mind trading back in to the lower half of the 1st round to get him at all, assuming it's for the right price ... say, one of our 2nd round picks and our 4th round pick?

The important thing is to leapfrog Miami's 2nd round selection so that we get the QB we want. :D

"Word out of Miami is that Michigan QB Chad Henne is emerging as the favorite to be the Dolphins first of two second-round selections. Henne has already had multiple meetings with team representatives, and more are scheduled. Boston College QB Matt Ryan remains in the mix for the No. 1 overall slot, but he s losing momentum in favor of Michigan OT Jake Long and Virginia DE-OLB Chris Long." (from a topic thread started by Swiftkick today) 

Are we reaching to take a QB at all this year? Are they really going to be better than Redman/Joey tandem for a year and take a QB next year after rebuilding the OLine?

Can't rebuild the entire franchise in 1 draft, no point HAVING to take someone. If there are good OLine/DLine and LB in the 2nd, take them, worry about a QB later. Who knows, a team may really like Ryan and Co, and have a vet they don't want around any more.

It's not a great class next year with Tebow/Stafford but who knows what Redman maybe like with a few games under his belt and full off season to get ready in. Buccs got into the playoffs without a star QB imo, so we could do the same if we address other needs first.

Chris Hall (3/23/2008)
Are we reaching to take a QB at all this year? Are they really going to be better than Redman/Joey tandem for a year and take a QB next year after rebuilding the OLine?

Can't rebuild the entire franchise in 1 draft, no point HAVING to take someone. If there are good OLine/DLine and LB in the 2nd, take them, worry about a QB later. Who knows, a team may really like Ryan and Co, and have a vet they don't want around any more.

It's not a great class next year with Tebow/Stafford but who knows what Redman maybe like with a few games under his belt and full off season to get ready in. Buccs got into the playoffs without a star QB imo, so we could do the same if we address other needs first.

Why worry about the most important position in football?You worry even when you have a starter about depth.Im fine with not picking a qb first if they dont grade out but after loseing schaub and vick we lost most of our development at the qb position.Like it or not you must keep investing and developing the position.