Here is a little advice.

BigSlick

As an insurance adjuster I am seeing alot more $50,000 vehicles that are total losses and alot more injuries that are settling for over $25,000.

I suggest that you look at what your limits of liability are.  If you are carrying the minimum in Georgia which is $25,000 for property damage and $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 per accident, I suggest you up it to $100,000.  The premium difference shouldn't be that much if you are a decent driver.

Hypothetical:  You are driving down I85 @ 70 MPH and there is some kind of debris in the road causing you to swerve and hit the car next to you which happens to be a brand new Mercedes GL320 valued @ around $75,000.  The driver is life flighted from the scene and has a broken leg. 

Your insurance will only cover $25,000 for the vehicle, meaning the other driver's insurance will have to pay the rest...who do you think they will come after for the money they paid out?  YOU!

The life flight itself will cost well over $15,000 and the treatment for the broken leg will be anywhere from $5k - $10k....that doesn't even include the "pain and suffering" they had.  The insurance company will only pay $25k for each person under minimum coverage and $50k per accident, max.  If there is a lawsuit against you and the insurance company already paid their limits...you are on your own.

You may think, that since there was something in the road that you weren't at fault...think again.  If the object was stationary, you will most likely be at fault for the accident and you may think you did all you could.  ( I am not saying I neccessarily agree with this, but it's typically the way insurance companies rule since the other driver was definately negligent free.)

Just a word of advice, do with it what you will.

birdweiserrr (3/23/2008)
BigSlick (3/23/2008)
birdweiserrr (3/23/2008)
I thought you were gonna tell us how to get our rates lowered. :)

That's easy...don't have any accidents.

I've never had an accident in my life that was my fault. I still pay over 100 per month. That's outrageous.

Man, there is so much that goes into your premiums...vehicle type, marital status, age, driving history.  I would search around.  It used to be that the longer you stay with a company the better off you were...not so anymore.  Loyalty in the insurance business is a thing of the past.

Personally, I was with one of the big insurers in GA for 12 years.  I switched recently and I saved over $500 per year.  I won't mention the companies, considering I am in the business, but it may be worth looking into.  Also, alot of companies will let you search online without any hassle.

birdweiserrr (3/23/2008)
BigSlick (3/23/2008)
birdweiserrr (3/23/2008)
I thought you were gonna tell us how to get our rates lowered. :)

That's easy...don't have any accidents.

I've never had an accident in my life that was my fault. I still pay over 100 per month. That's outrageous.

My mom was in a turning lane with her turn signal on at a red light. There was a schoolbus in the lane next to us. A guy comes up in the schoolbus lane, sees it at the last second and hops into the turning lane, hit my moms car full speed.

My mom's insurance company canceled her insurance due to that accident.

There oughta be a law or at least a public hanging of such insurance agents.

ninja_kix (3/23/2008)
public hanging of such.

The good ole days :)

For crooked insurance agents I would gladly hearken back.

In the old days they would gladly hang someone for cheating at gambling. Isn't that what insurance is? And the insurance company is fine as long as they are "winning" ..when you are paying them and having no accident.

But the second they lose and have to pay, they wanna end the game.

Hang 'em high hang 'em high.

BigSlick (3/23/2008)
As an insurance adjuster I am seeing alot more $50,000 vehicles that are total losses and alot more injuries that are settling for over $25,000.

I suggest that you look at what your limits of liability are. If you are carrying the minimum in Georgia which is $25,000 for property damage and $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 per accident, I suggest you up it to $100,000. The premium difference shouldn't be that much if you are a decent driver.

Hypothetical: You are driving down I85 @ 70 MPHand there is some kind of debris in the road causing you to swerve and hit the car next to you which happens to be a brand new Mercedes GL320 valued @ around $75,000. The driver is life flighted from the scene and has a broken leg.

Your insurance will only cover $25,000 for the vehicle, meaning the other driver's insurance will have to pay the rest...who do you think they will come after for the money they paid out? YOU!

The life flight itself will cost well over $15,000 and the treatment for the broken leg will be anywhere from $5k - $10k....that doesn't even include the "pain and suffering" they had. The insurance company will only pay $25k for each person under minimum coverage and $50k per accident, max. If there is a lawsuit against you and the insurance company already paid their limits...you are on your own.

You may think, that since there was something in the road that you weren't at fault...think again. If the object was stationary, you will most likely be at fault for the accident and you may think you did all you could. ( I am not saying I neccessarily agree with this, but it's typically the way insurance companies rule since the other driver was definately negligent free.)

Just a word of advice, do with it what you will.

Man I've been watchin Groundhog Day today. Are you Sure you ain't Ned Ryerson?

Yeah I agree with BigSlick, I work for an insurance broker (Commercial Lines) and I wouldn't recommened the minimum amount of coverage for ANYONE. There are so many things that can go wrong that may not even be your fault and turn around and bite you in the rear.