ATL and Matt Ryan

atl_uga_fan

Saw this on SI.com in "Truths and Rumors":

Why Parcells will trade No. 1 pick

This is the third time Bill Parcells has walked into a job and inherited the first pick in the draft and the second time there's not enough value to use the pick. He took Drew Bledsoe for the Patriots in 1993, then traded down twice when he was with the Jets in 1997 after Peyton Manning elected to stay for his senior year at Tennessee. Parcells might be in the position of power in his first draft for the Dolphins, but he's not going to be able to make a great deal to trade out. There is no can't-miss quarterback - Boston College's Matt Ryan is an upgraded version of Matt Schaub. And the best player in the draft is having his character questioned - Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. The trade interest in the pick has been mild.

New York Daily News

Ok, so I know that there are many out there that do not want to take Ryan. But I also know that there are those out there that did not agree with trading Schaub. Could Ryan be Schaub for Atlanta?

UGA_DAWG46 (3/23/2008)
How is Schaub doing in Houston? I think he had the same stats as Harrington. Matt Ryan is really overrated.

Watching schaub fight the colts right now on nflc.He looks good and has a 72% completions.He got hurt and they started loseing.I dont get a earlier statement where they said there hasnt been much trade interest.Its not even april and teams are working freeagencey.Why would there be any talk about a trade now?More speculateing called news.

It is a case of IFs and BUTs with all the QBs this year, its not like when Eli and BigBen came out. I would still prefer Dorsey or Long, either player helps an entire line. Ryan can't help the line and won't be able to sit in the closing pocket without an OLine.

This is why Joey and Byron had trouble last year with sacks, if they had been playing for 4/5 years in Atlanta the samething would've happened. It was Vicks feet that made him avoid the sack, if he had no feet he would have been hit a lot. We need an OLine, id even use Long in the first and RG in the 2nd with a 50/50 QB.

Remember ATL be back to normal till Vick is out or Terrelle Pyor graduates :D

swiftkick (3/23/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (3/23/2008)
How is Schaub doing in Houston? I think he had the same stats as Harrington. Matt Ryan is really overrated.

Matt Schaub was hurt last season and played well and will be a top 10 QB in this league

He  played good, but there back-up QB played better, plus he couldnt stay on the field

I would love to have Jake Long but I aint so sold on Brian. He reminds me to much of Jake Plummer. I think he coukd have a good number of touchdowns thrown but willturn around and  throw just as many Interceptions. If some how he were to drop to the 2nd round I'd say go for it but I wouldn't take him in the 1st.

So.....if we need to wait on drafting a QB until we solidify the OL, why did we sign Michael Turner ? With that philosophy, he will just get beat up and frustrated. We know little more about him than we would a rookie. The QB is the heart , soul and face of the team. Ryan, Brohm and Henne are Quality NFL QBs, we need to get whichever one is available at # 3 . There are loads of OL and DL players in this draft that can be had from the second round on down. Not so with QBs.

The thing with Turner is that he is a proven NFL commodity that you can build around.

Ryan isn't and is not worth the high draft pick when we have several other pressing needs like OL, DL etc.

As far as QB, we can get someone like Josh Johnson cheaper and just as effective. His style of play allows us the ability to improvise while we build the team. Ryan's style will get him and the team killed.

Say no to Matt Ryan!

atl_uga_fan (3/23/2008)
Saw this on SI.com in "Truths and Rumors":

Why Parcells will trade No. 1 pick

This is the third time Bill Parcells has walked into a job and inherited the first pick in the draft and the second time there's not enough value to use the pick. He took Drew Bledsoe for the Patriots in 1993, then traded down twice when he was with the Jets in 1997 after Peyton Manning elected to stay for his senior year at Tennessee. Parcells might be in the position of power in his first draft for the Dolphins, but he's not going to be able to make a great deal to trade out. There is no can't-miss quarterback - Boston College's Matt Ryan is an upgraded version of Matt Schaub. And the best player in the draft is having his character questioned - Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. The trade interest in the pick has been mild.

New York Daily News

Ok, so I know that there are many out there that do not want to take Ryan. But I also know that there are those out there that did not agree with trading Schaub. Could Ryan be Schaub for Atlanta?

Who the heck is Miami going to trade with? I haven't come across a single scenario, not one, that makes any sense for a team to trade up for #1.

If you look on any Dolphins forum, they are pinning their hopes on the Falcons trading up to #1 for either Ryan or Jake Long. That's the best thing they can come up with. Does any Falcons fan think that is going to happen.

The Dolphins are stuck with the #1 pick.

From I have seen and heard Mike Smith said he wants to build the offence and defensive lines so I would have thought that would be a tell tale sign of who we are going to draft and with 4 picks in the 1st 48 I'm thinking a DT and a couple of offensive lineman would be taken with 3 of the 4 pics so unless the front office is convinced that Matt Ryan is going to be the new face of the franchise then I can't really see us taking him with the 3rd pick.

Matt Ryan has the fortune and luck in having a close family friend who has a sports column and is a ESPN troll. The Sporting News 2008 Draft issue had a column by Mike Maycock. He stated he was close friends with the Ryan family, he has watched Matt Ryan's career and feels he is the best QB in this year's draft, and that he, (Maycock), played at Boston College with and was roomed with one of Matt Ryan's uncles. He also stated he tries not to be biased toward Ryan, (well he has blown that one).

His biased opinion, (along with the Matt Ryan huggers from ESPN), is what is the driving force to seemly want Falcons to have to draft the BC QB, who threw 19 INT, this past season. Maycock also stated those INT's were not necessarily due to Ryan's bad decisions; but, rather he did not too many WR's at BC that could open up on their own.

Peace

OK...here's my take on ATL&Ryan. It will not happen. For every spot you draft and all the prospects you have at that spot-there is one big question. HOW DOES this player fit into OUR scheme...Dorsey/Ellis going from a 1-gap to a 2-gap for example. How will they translate? Matt Ryan comes from a team that threw the ball aggressively...we have a scheme that will pound the ball first then throw second-without trying to force it. Ryan forces it-a lot. I personally see the Falcons go after a QB with a more play-action type background...where the running game set them up-a QB who will not force the issue with the ball and will let the rest of the offense help him to be better, I don't see Ryan as that player, I see him as that type of QB That thinks he needs to make a big play every time he drops back-remember Drew Bledsoe? Yes he had some great season-but took an unnecessary beating and threw a lot of picks. This is my opinion on it-but would be very shocked if Ryan was to be picked with the 3rd pick.

Robert L (3/23/2008)
OK...here's my take on ATL&Ryan. It will not happen. For every spot you draft and all the prospects you have at that spot-there is one big question. HOW DOES this player fit into OUR scheme...Dorsey/Ellis going from a 1-gap to a 2-gap for example. How will they translate? Matt Ryan comes from a team that threw the ball aggressively...we have a scheme that will pound the ball first then throw second-without trying to force it. Ryan forces it-a lot. I personally see the Falcons go after a QB with a more play-action type background...where the running game set them up-a QB who will not force the issue with the ball and will let the rest of the offense help him to be better, I don't see Ryan as that player, I see him as that type of QB That thinks he needs to make a big play every time he drops back-remember Drew Bledsoe? Yes he had some great season-but took an unnecessary beating and threw a lot of picks. This is my opinion on it-but would be very shocked if Ryan was to be picked with the 3rd pick.

I dont disagree we probably will not draft ryan but how often do teams get qbs that played their system in college?You go for the gunslinger because he has the most important part of a qbs game.His average yards per pass were very low because they passed so much.Instead of runnig they did a swing pass.So I dont get the pressing for big plays.He threw 654 times!They called his number to much so the ints might be exaggerated.

atl falcon 89 (3/23/2008)
I would love to have Jake Long but I aint so sold on Brian. He reminds me to much of Jake Plummer. I think he coukd have a good number of touchdowns thrown but willturn around and  throw just as many Interceptions. If some how he were to drop to the 2nd round I'd say go for it but I wouldn't take him in the 1st.

i am going to ignore this and hope to god that you were talking about matt ryan and not brian brohm.

if dorsey and jake long go in the 1st two picks we will speed dial dallas for trade bids on the #3 overall.  both 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder next year and continue to build our team for the future.

#22- Gosder Cherilus(BC) -OT

#28- Brandon Albert(Virginia) -OG or Kentwan Balmer(North Carolina) DT

#34-Pat Sims(Auburn)- DT or Dan Connor(Penn State)- MLB or Tracy Porter(Indiana)- CB

#37-Jerod Mayo(Tennessee)- MLB or Joe Flacco(Delaware)- QB or Chad Henne(Michigan)-QB

#48-Curtis Lofton(Oklahoma)- MLB or Brandon Flowers(VT)- CB or  Terrell Thomas(USC)- CB or Chilo Rachal(USC)- OG

If we get an OT and DT in the 1st round

and get a MLB and QB with the 1st 2 picks of the 2nd

Look for us to go either CB or OG with the last pick of the 2nd round.

604hof (3/23/2008)
Matt Ryan has the fortune and luck in having a close family friend who has a sports column and is a ESPN troll. The Sporting News 2008 Draft issue had a column by Mike Maycock. He stated he was close friends with the Ryan family, he has watched Matt Ryan's career and feels he is the best QB in this year's draft, and that he, (Maycock), played at Boston College with and was roomed with one of Matt Ryan's uncles. He also stated he tries not to be biased toward Ryan, (well he has blown that one).

His biased opinion, (along with the Matt Ryan huggers from ESPN), is what is the driving force to seemly want Falcons to have to draft the BC QB, who threw 19 INT, this past season. Maycock also stated those INT's were not necessarily due to Ryan's bad decisions; but, rather he did not too many WR's at BC that could open up on their own.

Peace

I have seen a lot of people picking ryan not just mayock.I dont believe their is a conspiracey just because someone disagrees with you.

bigduke633 (3/23/2008)
Bring It (3/23/2008)
Ryan.............or anybody else, will do as well as ourO line will permit.

End of story.

Its a balance.Qb needs to call out protections.

Not all QBs call out protections. A lot of centers do that as well. But the QB isn't the one blocking. It's up to the guys up front-not only for the pass protection-but also to open holes in the running game-that in itself takes a load off any QB.