The Mile Tower Possibly to be Built in the Middle East

womfalcs3

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle...ss_March393.xml

At first, I was skeptical. Now it seems they've got an engineering firm to do it. I don't know, it seems like they're going ahead with it. I'm still a little doubtful of its construction.

This is one of those projects that make me ashamed of the stupidity of humanity. Apparently if carried out it will cost 10 billion dollars and will ultimately be funded by Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. This guy has lost worth over the past few years... I think he should focus on stabilizing his portfolio.

Anyway, it would be built in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; my hometown. It would literally be a mile high (1,600 meters). That's almost double of what Burj Dubai will be when it's done soon (Burj Dubai still has about 200 meters to go).

We Saudis need to focus on diversifying our economy rather than seeing who can top the other.

I've never been involved in design of such structures, and I would not want to be involved with this one. Can you fathom the engineering that would go behind such unnecessary structure? It would look very out of place.

Pictures can be seen here. This is back when it was proposed.

dirtybird3245 (3/23/2008)
Doesn't the quran predict that countries will have a competition of who can build the highest building?

It's not the Quran. It was actually a Hadeeth by Prophet Mohammad.

He said that one of the signs that the Day of Judgment is near will be that Bedouins (Nomads) will one day build high rises, and that they will top each other as they do so.

There are other signs he mentioned too.

womfalcs3 (3/23/2008)
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle...ss_March393.xml

At first, I was skeptical. Now it seems they've got an engineering firm to do it. I don't know, it seems like they're going ahead with it. I'm still a little doubtful of its construction.

This is one of those projects that make me ashamed of the stupidity of humanity. Apparently if carried out it will cost 10 billion dollars and will ultimately be funded by Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. This guy has lost worth over the past few years... I think he should focus on stabilizing his portfolio.

Anyway, it would be built in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; my hometown. It would literally be a mile high (1,600 meters). That's almost double of what Burj Dubai will be when it's done soon (Burj Dubai still has about 200 meters to go).

We Saudis need to focus on diversifying our economy rather than seeing who can top the other.

I've never been involved in design of such structures, and I would not want to be involved with this one. Can you fathom the engineering that would go behind such unnecessary structure? It would look very out of place.

Pictures can be seen here. This is back when it was proposed.

Whoever funds that project, has undoubtedly the smallest wiener in the world. That tower makes the Washington monument look like a Georgia O'Keeffe painting. :w00t:

kicker23 (3/23/2008)
Is it being built with Public money? Do you even have elections in Saudi, in order to vote down public works projects?

No it's private money. Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal's holding company would fund it apparently. Kingdom Holding Company, which is its name, is 70% private/30% public.

If he does fund (fully or partially) it using public money, people would have the choice to invest.

womfalcs3 (3/23/2008)
kicker23 (3/23/2008)
Is it being built with Public money? Do you even have elections in Saudi, in order to vote down public works projects?

No it's private money. Prince Al-Waleed Bin Talal's holding company would fund it apparently. Kingdom Holding Company, which is its name, is 70% private/30% public.

If he does fund (fully or partially) it using public money, people would have the choice to invest.

Gotcha. He's the Citigroup investor that has been keeping the bank afloat. Well, he obviously has done pretty well for himself (Citigroup excluded) so I don't know that I would question his investments as a whole.