Star recruits to attend Georgia football junior day. (also article on jamal patterson)

SacFalcFan

Star recruits to attend Georgia football junior day

60 percent of 2008 signing class was at last year's event

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/21/08

Athens Georgia's future, at least some of it, could be on campus Saturday.

The Bulldogs well welcome several of the top prospects for their second junior day today. Among those expected to attend are: Austin Long, an offensive lineman from Briarcrest Christian in Memphis, Norcross safety Prince Kent, Early County defensive back Shawn Williams and Northside-Warner Robins defensive lineman Abry Jones.

"We feel like we have some really good kids coming in that we have targeted that we want," said recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner. "If you can hit on a high percentage as far as on signing day as far as getting those kids then you feel like you had a pretty good class."

Of the commitments in 2008 roughly 60 to 65 percent of them attend a Georgia junior day.

Georgia already has five commitments in the 2009 class. The class is expected to be rather small because Georgia is not losing very many seniors. So early estimates are Georgia may sign as few as 17 instead of the typical 23-25. Many of those 17 could come out of today.

"You hope you are targeting the right guys," said Georgia coach Mark Richt.

The juniors will get a tour of the Butts-Mehre facility, spend time with the coaches and also watch the scrimmage.

Henry County s Patterson to visit UGA on Saturday

By Jeff Hood | Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 06:58 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Henry County junior Jamal Patterson is quickly becoming one of the most coveted receivers in the nation.

Scholarship offers from Auburn, Florida State and Maryland has pushed his overall haul to 30, as of late Wednesday.

It s great knowing that all these schools want me, but at the same time I know I can t stop working, said Patterson, who is the middle of track season at Henry County.

Patterson, who is regarded as the 32nd-best receiver in the nation by scout.com, already has held offers from programs such as Alabama, Clemson, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee for several weeks.

Oddly enough, Georgia and Georgia Tech have yet to follow suit.

Tech s new run oriented scheme likely isn t a good fit for Patterson s ability to run deep pass patterns.

I had been hearing a lot from Tech when coach [Chan] Gailey was there, Patterson said.

But an offer from the Dogs could come this weekend when Patterson attends junior day in Athens on Saturday.

It s not really an actual junior day, Patterson said. It s just a few players that they ve invited and is more of a project testing for them.

Does Patterson believe the Dogs will offer?

There s no telling, he said. I m not even sure right now. But yeah, it would really be nice if they do offer.

With spring football practice set to begin on the second Monday in May, Patterson s schedule over the upcoming weeks will continue to remain hectic.

I will be going to South Carolina s spring game, the spring game at Wake Forest, Central Florida and Georgia s spring game, he said. And I m going to try to make it to Clemson s spring game as well.

UGA_DAWG46 (3/23/2008)
I like Bowman better than Patterson. Bowman is bigger and play alot stronger. He is pretty fast for his size.

Have you guys seen Henry County play? Because of their prolific passing offense, I expect Patterson to be a bit more polished than most receivers coming out of HS. BTW, I have never seen a QB on the high school level throw a better deep ball than Drew Lorenzen. Oops, I mean Drew Little. LOL, That is one big boy!

g6773a (3/24/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (3/23/2008)
I like Bowman better than Patterson. Bowman is bigger and play alot stronger. He is pretty fast for his size.

Have you guys seen Henry County play? Because of their prolific passing offense, I expect Patterson to be a bit more polished than most receivers coming out of HS. BTW, I have never seen a QB on the high school level throw a better deep ball than Drew Lorenzen. Oops, I mean Drew Little. LOL, That is one big boy!

Jamal is very talented.. you don't have 30 plus offers if you aren't talented. I have seen a lot of field on him and his biggest issue is speed.. but it's rumored he runs a 4.5.. which is plenty enough speed with his size and ability.