I openly confess that I am going to hell for laughing at this.

Ramen

...it just struck me as funny.

Filipinos whip and crucify themselves in gory Good Friday ritual

By RICHARD SHEARS - More by this author » Last updated at 16:52pm on 22nd March 2008

Dozens of Filipinos, including the boy and an 18-year-old girl, were nailed to crosses and scores more whipped their backs into a bloody pulp as the country's devout Roman Catholics marked Good Friday.

The voluntary crucifixions in the northern Philippines were the most extreme displays of religious devotion in this mainly Catholic country, where millions are praying and fasting ahead of the Easter weekend.

In the small village of Cutud, about 80 km (50 miles) north of Manila, men cried out as nails the size of pencils were driven into their hands and feet before they were hoisted up in the scorching heat. Nineteen were to go through the process.

But government health and safety officials were keeping their eye on proceedings, after health minister Francisco Duque told those planning to be crucified to ensure they have a tetanus jab and use sterilised nails.

Never mind the clear dangers to your health of crucifixion, so long as the danger of infection is safely reduced.

download.php?file=006-[Laughing]-[EmoticonKing.com].gifdownload.php?file=006-[Laughing]-[EmoticonKing.com].gifdownload.php?file=006-[Laughing]-[EmoticonKing.com].gifdownload.php?file=006-[Laughing]-[EmoticonKing.com].gif

christEPA2103_468x313.jpg

silentbob1272 (3/23/2008)
I saw this on Discovery last year, I can't imagine why Jesus would want or appreciate the gesture, but to each his own

I've known about this practice for several years now. The whole "tetanus shot" and "sterilized nails" was what made me laugh. I know that the risk of infection would be a major concern for me while I was having railroad spikes driven through my outer extremities and getting hoisted up in 100 degree weather for several hours.

pencilpusher (3/23/2008)
Ramen (3/23/2008)
pencilpusher (3/23/2008)
When did TwinBlade and HM get the axe?

Twinblade about a week and a half ago, I believe. HM earlier this week.

Let me guess..........;)

Can't rule it out on either, but there's no reason to think so for HM's ban.

Ramen (3/23/2008)
I saw this on Discovery last year, I can't imagine why Jesus would want or appreciate the gesture, but to each his own

I've known about this practice for several years now. The whole "tetanus shot" and "sterilized nails" was what made me laugh. I know that the risk of infection would be a major concern for me while I was having railroad spikes driven through my outer extremities and getting hoisted up in 100 degree weather for several hours.

I fully admit that I'm not sure that I'm man enough to know that my "major concern" would be infection as railroad spikes were driven through my outer extremities........you're a bad man Ramen.

Ramen (3/23/2008)

I fully admit that I'm not sure that I'm man enough to know that my "major concern" would be infection as railroad spikes were driven through my outer extremities........you're a bad man Ramen.

I'm a sarcastic man. I'd be screaming my fool head off -- "get me some goddam anesthesia right freakin' NOW!"

Ramen (3/23/2008)
Ramen (3/23/2008)

I'm a sarcastic man. I'd be screaming my fool head off -- "get me some goddam anesthesia right freakin' NOW!"

Naw, I got the sarcasm, I just forgot to put my little winking head guy there ;)

Along the same line, i watched The Passion of the Christ last night (I saw it when it first came out, but not since) Gibson may be a bit batsh*t but that film was every bit as moving as I remembered it. Fantastic bit of film making.

The theological question presented is exactly what is being accomplished?

If we could attain salvation by being crucified, all Christians would just ask to be crucified.  It too the crucifixion of a PERFECT one to bring about salvation.  Salvation is incarnational, and is not brought about by our suffering.  If it was, Judas would have been the first to be saved.

Having said all that, it is pretty funny that they want to bear the cross, but not bear it fully.  It's pietistic, and I usually laugh at pietism  :laugh:

i heard about this several years ago too and though I certainly would never do it and Christians were never asked to do it I can see a point to it.  Imagine how much more grateful you would be for the sacrifice Jesus made by enduring a small part of the pain he endured for you.  it is very extreme but if it helped you walk closer to god and be more appreciative of what he has done for you, for a Christian it would be worth it.  and i certainly don't find anything funny about it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />