Who else has no problem seeing a drafted QB sit for a while. Even the whole rookie year.

halsey

halsey (3/22/2008)
I have no problem seeing a rookie QB sit and learn. From what i've seen, it tends to be a good idea. If the Falcons take a small school QB like Flacco or Josh Johnson, it's a must.

It's one of the downsides to drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd especially on a team with so many holes.However rarely is a QB ready his 1st year,and that certainly applies to this years crop of QB,s .But I would rather get that year of watching and learning in 2008 than wait to draft the next Falcons QB in 2009.

halsey (3/22/2008)
I have no problem seeing a rookie QB sit and learn. From what i've seen, it tends to be a good idea. If the Falcons take a small school QB like Flacco or Josh Johnson, it's a must.

There is no QB's woth taking any earlier than the 4th round this year ESPECIALLY at number 3 overall. The only possible franchise QB in this draft in my opinion is Brian Brohm. Flacco doesn't have the accuracy to make it in the NFL, Andre Woodson is someone I would definitely give a chance if he falls to our 1st 2nd round pick, but he needs to get some attitude. Chad Henne is going to be a bust, Matt Ryan just plain sucks.

The only 2 QB's I would consider in the 1st 3 rounds are as above mentioned, Brohm and Woodson. After say round 4 though, I would go for one Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon.

As for the O-Line situation, that should be addressed before we even think about a QB in the top 3 rounds. Therefore, we draft Jake Long and make a trade for Gosder Cherilus, then select Woodson in the 2nd. Problem solved :D

halsey (3/22/2008)

I agree any QB we draft should sit the entire first year, I'm personally starting to warm up to the idea of taking OConnell. That gives us the first 4 rounds to rebuild & fill in our OL & DL. 

Palmer and Rivers both seemed to benefit for sitting out a season. And Rodgers out in Green Bay looked good in relief last year even though he'd sat behind Favre for AGES.

We definitely need to sit whoever our drafted QB is for ALL of this season, and maybe part of next year, too (especially if Redman continues to play well).

papeezi (3/22/2008)ITS A GOOD STRATEGY, SINCE WE WILL HAVE 2 CAPABLE GUYS IN REDMAN AND SHOCKLLEY

Yea, the Falcons have had a "rookie" sitting and learning for 2 years now and everyone wants to ignore him and start all over with a "new rookie" sitting and learning.

delaigle (3/22/2008)
papeezi (3/22/2008)ITS A GOOD STRATEGY, SINCE WE WILL HAVE 2 CAPABLE GUYS IN REDMAN AND SHOCKLLEY

Yea, the Falcons have had a "rookie" sitting and learning for 2 years now and everyone wants to ignore him and start all over with a "new rookie" sitting and learning.

Both of you are ridiculous. DJ Shockley has shown NOTHING, not even in the preseason. You guys need to remove your hands from his balls.

I think it's best that any young QB sits for a year. There has only been two examples that I can remember of a QB starting day one, and it turning out well. That is Peyton Manning and Ben Rothlisberger. Peyton turned out well because well, he's Peyton, and Ben had the benefit of playing with a very established team with an excellent oline and running game. We don't have the benefit of either. If they put a young QB in front of this mess, regardless of who it is, the Falcons are going to regret it.

Headshot (3/22/2008)
delaigle (3/22/2008)

Both of you are ridiculous. DJ Shockley has shown NOTHING, not even in the preseason. You guys need to remove your hands from his balls.

Get real I never said I even liked Shockley, only that he had been sitting for 2 year - it really seems a big step backward to do that all over again.  And are the falcons going to start over again two years from now because another rookie QB spends his second year on IR or "shows nothing yet" ---  TRADE TRADE --- not sit another  rookie

Heck sign a Free agent for example Lorenzen is better that Woodson so do not draft woodson get Lorenzen  just an example I'm not saying do that.

That's the way it should be done. Marino and Roethlisberger are exceptions to the rule, but most of the top tier QB's in the leagued were brought along this way. In fact, I think you will see that with Matt Ryan this year. He will sit in 08' behind Redman and take the reigns in 2009. There seems to be an anti-Ryan movement around here, but the reality is that if he's there when we pick at #3 Dimitroff will likely take him. Might as well get used to the idea, or go cheer for somebody else.

halsey (3/22/2008)I have no problem seeing a rookie QB sit and learn. From what i've seen, it tends to be a good idea. If the Falcons take a small school QB like Flacco or Josh Johnson, it's a must.

Sitting on the Falcon bench

K. Kitner  02  03  04

Ty Detmer  04

Schaub 04  05  06

Shockley   06  07

GREAT PLAN

slobberknocker (3/23/2008)
That's the way it should be done. Marino and Roethlisberger are exceptions to the rule, but most of the top tier QB's in the leagued were brought along this way. In fact, I think you will see that with Matt Ryan this year. He will sit in 08' behind Redman and take the reigns in 2009. There seems to be an anti-Ryan movement around here, but the reality is that if he's there when we pick at #3 Dimitroff will likely take him. Might as well get used to the idea, or go cheer for somebody else.[/quot

Some qbs started all their first year or a few,vince young,mike vick,both mannings theres a pretty long list.I would work a qb in the mix not necessarily hang him out to dry.