Morten Andersen

Wow! Talk about screwing Morten Andersen over! The Guy has been rock steady for the Falcons forever, getting you guys to your first Superbowl, and now you cut him for Elam?!

Morten Andersen and Elam had very similar seasons last year, the only difference being one fg over 50 yards for Elam.

I know the NFL is a buisness, but man... he was going to retire, and get elected to the HOF, as a Falcon... The Saints' got the edge now...

A disgruntled Dane

I wish Morten the best if he decides to keep playing but I kinda want him to retire as a Falcon. Its kinda sad that thirty years in the NFL and not one H.O.F player. Enjoy retirement Mort (if thats what you decide to do) you earned it.

For that matter what did Deion say he would retire as?

brooking/beast (3/22/2008)
Anderson was a free agent this year. He wasn't cut.

And Elam is 10 years younger. Morton's accuracy has never been the issue. But you can't escape the fact that physiologically, a kicker's leg strength diminishes with time. Mort is money inside 40. Elam is, too, and should still be able to hit 50 from yds. inside the Dome, at least most of the time.

Carter (3/22/2008)
He was a 6 time Pro Bowler with the Saints and played with them for 12 years...

Elam is the better man for the job right now. Everyone loves Mort... but like you said, this is a business.

I agree! But I will add to that, Mort can't hit the long shots anymore. He seems rock solid inside of 40 yards but 41 or more, he just can't kick it anymore. Elam has a cannon for a leg and is accurate. IMO. I think he's one of the best if not the best kicker in the game. JMO

Bjorn Christensen (3/22/2008)
Wow! Talk about screwing Morten Andersen over! The Guy has been rock steady for the Falcons forever, getting you guys to your first Superbowl, and now you cut him for Elam?!

Morten Andersen and Elam had very similar seasons last year, the only difference being one fg over 50 yards for Elam.

I know the NFL is a buisness, but man... he was going to retire, and get elected to the HOF, as a Falcon... The Saints' got the edge now...

A disgruntled Dane

Don't worry, Mort will fit in nicely at Denver where Matt "Shank-Em'-All" Prater is getting ANOTHER shot.

Don't get me wrong; I hear you guys, and granted, I may be biased being Danish. But Morten Andersen had one of his best seasons ever last season, and the falcons could have signed him for less than half of what they are paying Elam (4 yrs, 9$ mil).

I just think the Mort/koenen arrangement is working well enough, and it's a shame to not sign a guy because of his age. Plus, it could have saved some cap room.

But who knows.. maybe Elam is going to be money for the next 4+ years... the Falcons sure needs it.

Don't get me wrong; I hear you guys, and granted, I may be biased being Danish. But Morten Andersen had one of his best seasons ever last season, and the falcons could have signed him for less than half of what they are paying Elam (4 yrs, 9$ mil).

I just think the Mort/koenen arrangement is working well enough, and it's a shame to not sign a guy because of his age. Plus, it could have saved some cap room.

But who knows.. maybe Elam is going to be money for the next 4+ years... the Falcons sure needs it.

No problem - I don't think you were misunderstood. I guess the issue comes down to the fact that ATL paid money for the same talent as Morten's, but less 10 years and plus 10 yards. - ?? :)

Morten will always been a legend, but it is a funny old game, Prater has the leg but no accuracy. Maybe10 years time he will be a pro bowler kicking the winning FG, ##### happens.

Elam is good for business now and it does keep us open to pick up a young kicker in a year or 2. But it is a lottery, look at Feely, he missed kicks in a Dome yet makes them in the open... go figure!

Unless we just keep taking on vets when they move on, not a bad way to do business, they are that costly to the cap room.

A disgruntled Dane

He can't make kicks over 40 yards. Why would you want to keep him?

Mort came in and played well for Atlanta when needed.  I think he will do the same thing he has been doing for the last several years.  He will go back to his home near Atlanta and keep working out and if, hopefully not, Elam gets hurt the Great Dane will come back in to save the day again.

Mort has had a great career.  But, at this point Elam is the better option.

Well, I believe last season was statistically Mort's best.  He doesn't have anything like the range he once had, but he was the most efficient kicker in the NFL last year.

I think Elam just gives us more to work with in terms of stability at the position.  Mort came out of retirement to play for us... Elam probably won't be looking to retire for another 5-6 years unless he gets injured.  He has better range, great accuracy, he's clutch, and keeps us from NEEDING to bring in a new kicker for another 4 years.

I'll miss him... I think we all will, but I think when it comes to the team this is the best thing moving forward.