A question about Islam's attitude towards Christ

silentbob1272

In another thread I saw this post by womflacs3

LOL @ "Islam is an anti-Christ religion"

Shows how ignorant he is. 'Eesa (Jesus in Arabic) is highly respected in Islam. There's a whole chapter called Maryam in the Quran (Maryam = Mary in Arabic). Christians should read it to see how Islam views him.

I have heard this before that Jesus is highly respected in Islam. My question is, Why? If you do not believe that he was the son of God, and as I understand it, Muslims in no way believe this, would he not be just a fraud and a blasphemer? If a group does not think he was who he said he was, then why the respect?

I fully admit I ask this from a position of ignorance, just trying learn something here.

Lastly, some may say that Jesus never himself claimed to be God, I disagree;

The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59) "I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in me does not believe in me, but in Him who sent me. And he who beholds me beholds the One who sent me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me. If you had known me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)

Fair question, but notice that you are citing the Bible for information about Jesus' teachings instead of the Quran.

A lot of people, Muslims and otherwise, believe that some of the disciples misunderstood and misinterpreted Jesus' teachings. I suspect Muslims take a similar view and believe that Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God, as the disciples claimed he had said.

I don't know for sure because I've never read the Koran, and it's an interesting question for Muslims. That's just what popped in my head when I read your post.

Ramen (3/21/2008)
Fair question, but notice that you are citing the Bible for information about Jesus' teachings instead of the Quran.

A lot of people, Muslims and otherwise, believe that some of the disciples misunderstood and misinterpreted Jesus' teachings. I suspect Muslims take a similar view and believe that Jesus never claimed to be the Son of God, as the disciples claimed he had said.

I don't know for sure because I've never read the Koran, and it's an interesting question for Muslims. That's just what popped in my head when I read your post.

That is actually quite a good thought, to be off the top of your head, but I'm not sure its correct either. Remember the Qu'ran was written some 600 years after the Gospels and in the following passages the Qu'ran instructs followers to recognize the authority of the Gospels, at least it seems so

Surah 3:3, It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur an) to you (Muhammad) with truth, confirming what came before it. And He sent down the Torah and the Gospel& .

Surah 16:43, And We sent not (as Our Messengers) before you (O Muhammad) any but men, whom We inspired, (to preach and invite mankind to believe in the Oneness of Allah). So ask of those who know the Scripture (learned men of the Torah and the Gospel), if you know not.

Surah 29:27, And We bestowed on him (Abraham) Isaac and Jacob, and ordained among his offspring Prophethood and the Book (i.e. the Torah (to Moses), the Gospel (to Jesus), the Qur an (to Muhammad), &

Surah 12:111, Indeed in their stories, there is a lesson for men of understanding. It (the Qur an) is not a forged statement but a confirmation of the Allah s existing Books (the Torah, the Gospel and other Scriptures of Allah) and a detailed explanation of everything and a guide and a mercy for the people who believe.

Surah 29:46, 47 & and say (to them): We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilah (God) and your Ilah (God) is One (i.e.Allah), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims). And thus We have sent down the Book (i.e. this Qur an) to you (O Muhammad), and those whom We gave the Scripture (the Torah and the Gospel aforetime) believe therein as also do some of these (who are present with you now like Abdullah bin Salam) and none but the disbelievers reject Our Ayat [(proofs, signs, verses, lessons, etc., and deny Our Oneness of Lordship and Our Oneness of worship and Our Oneness of Our Names and Qualities: i.e. Islamic Monotheism)]

Surah 6:115, And the Word of your Lord has been fulfilled in truth and in justice. None can change His Words. And He is the All-Hearer, the All-Knower.

Literalism and verbatim "quotes" from the scriptures have probably led to untold confusion and misinterpretation on all sides. I guess CS Lewis is one of the real well known authors who champion the idea that if JC was not the son of God then he was a heretic and a blasphemer. It is my understanding that several religions recognize JC as a prophet but only one choose to worship him as God more or less. As usual, it gets back to whether you take the new testament to be the word of God spoken through inspired men. If you do then there is really no arguing with you other than exactly what the riddles mean. If you don't then you see it as one group of people's opinions versus another. Just my two cents.

Disclaimer: The following content shows the Muslim belief. You may disagree, so don't be offended when I say something assertively.

In the Quran in one of the first chapters I remember reading something along the lines of the following:

God will ask 'Eesa on the Day of Judgment if he told his followers or the people to whom he was sent that he was the son of His. Jesus' knees will weaken and he will shake in fear as he denies this to Him. He will respond by saying he never claimed that.

Of course God already knows this. He will ask him though in front of humanity to show us the truth from the Prophet's mouth.

---------------------------------------

We don't believe Jesus' message and teachings were false. We believe that the Torah and the Bible have been perverted by their followers throughout history. Christianity today isn't what it was when it originated.

God in the Quran says He sent Mohammad as the final Prophet and that the Quran and the religion of Islam will remain as they were in the beginning until the Day of Judgment.

You know? The Arabic used in the Quran isn't the Arabic we use publicly. Every Arabian sub-culture has its own dialect and in many cases, different diction. Yet we all know that original Arabic as we read it and write it constantly still. That old Arabic has not died. It has withstood 1,000's of years. The changes over time are used informally, but that old Arabic is still widely used in reports, formal writing, reading, etc.

You'll be lucky to find a person who speaks the language of the original Bible. There were so many Gospels that were later thrown away by certain European rulers arbitrarily because they encouraged individuality, for example. Many of you may use a certain Bible... like the Book of James. There are so many "Bibles". The Christian faith isn't what it was in its origin.

God in the Quran says none of us can call themselves believers until we believe in the Prophets of old, the Bible, and the Torah. We believe in the original Books.

Also, when God in the Quran says infidels or non-believers, he means those who don't believe in Him or the end of days. It doesn't necessarily mean non-Muslims. Christians and Jews can also be considered "believers".

womfalcs3 (3/21/2008)
Disclaimer: The following content shows the Muslim belief. You may disagree, so don't be offended when I say something assertively.

In the Quran in one of the first chapters I remember reading something along the lines of the following:

God will ask 'Eesa on the Day of Judgment if he told his followers or the people to whom he was sent that he was the son of His. Jesus' knees will weaken and he will shake in fear as he denies this to Him. He will respond by saying he never claimed that.

Of course God already knows this. He will ask him though in front of humanity to show us the truth from the Prophet's mouth.

We don't believe Jesus' message and teachings were false. We believe that the Torah and the Bible have been perverted by their followers throughout history. Christianity today isn't what it was when it originated.

God in the Quran says He sent Mohammad as the final Prophet and that the Quran and the religion of Islam will remain as they were in the beginning until the Day of Judgment.

You know? The Arabic used in the Quran isn't the Arabic we use publicly. Every Arabian sub-culture has its own dialect and in many cases, different diction. Yet we all know that original Arabic as we read it and write it constantly still. That old Arabic has not died. It has withstood 1,000's of years. The changes over time are used informally, but that old Arabic is still widely used in reports, formal writing, reading, etc.

You'll be lucky to find a person who speaks the language of the original Bible. There were so many Gospels that were later thrown away by certain European rulers arbitrarily because they encouraged individuality, for example. Many of you may use a certain Bible... like the Book of James. There are so many "Bibles". The Christian faith isn't what it was in its origin.

God in the Quran says none of us can call themselves believers until we believe in the Prophets of old, the Bible, and the Torah. We believe in the original Books.

Also, when God in the Quran says infidels of non-believers, he means those who don't belive in Him or the end of days. It doesn't necessarily mean non-Muslims. Christians and Jews can also be considered "believers".

Not to hijack the thread, but would you say that mainstream Islam rejects most extremist views, like those of groups like Al Qaeda?

And would you say that those groups pervert true Islam?

deathdawg (3/21/2008)

Not to hijack the thread, but would you say that mainstream Islam rejects most extremist views, like those of groups like Al Qaeda?

Most Muslims reject Al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda and their like aren't perverting the religion in that the religion isn't being changed. They're obviously extremists, but even though they use religion as their motive, their main motive is political. The fact that it's Muslim vs. non-Muslim only exacerbates those political issues they have.

It's actually complex because religion has become intertwined with culture now. Many people confuse people's actions and say it was their religion's fault. More often than not, it was really the traditional culture or political aspect.

womfalcs3 (3/21/2008)

Also, when God in the Quran says infidels or non-believers, he means those who don't believe in Him or the end of days. It doesn't necessarily mean non-Muslims. Christians and Jews can also be considered "believers".

So someone who existed 600 years after Jesus and never came in contact with him knows him better than people who were his disciples and were with him ALL THE TIME for 3 years?

silentbob1272 (3/21/2008)
In another thread I saw this post by womflacs3

LOL @ "Islam is an anti-Christ religion"

Shows how ignorant he is. 'Eesa (Jesus in Arabic) is highly respected in Islam. There's a whole chapter called Maryam in the Quran (Maryam = Mary in Arabic). Christians should read it to see how Islam views him.

I have heard this before that Jesus is highly respected in Islam. My question is, Why? If you do not believe that he was the son of God, and as I understand it, Muslims in no way believe this, would he not be just a fraud and a blasphemer? If a group does not think he was who he said he was, then why the respect?

I fully admit I ask this from a position of ignorance, just trying learn something here.

Lastly, some may say that Jesus never himself claimed to be God, I disagree;

The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59) "I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in me does not believe in me, but in Him who sent me. And he who beholds me beholds the One who sent me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me. If you had known me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)

and you say that to say what???

jdu00743 (3/21/2008)

So someone who existed 600 years after Jesus and never came in contact with him knows him better than people who were his disciples and were with him ALL THE TIME for 3 years?

No. Prophet Mohammad was human who was given prophecies and instructions by God via Angels (the most popular Angel was the one who sent the Quran piece by piece to Him, Jebreel (Jebreel = Gabriel)).

My beliefs are based on the word of God ultimately. So all that was said was based on God's word... even if said by Mohammad. Prophet Mohammad didn't speak randomly from his head.

womfalcs3 (3/21/2008)
jdu00743 (3/21/2008)

No. Prophet Mohammad was human who was given prophecies and instructions by God via Angels (the most popular Angel was the one who sent the Quran piece by piece to Him, Jebreel (Jebreel = Gabriel)).

My beliefs are based on the word of God ultimately. So all that was said was based on God's word... even if said by Mohammad. Prophet Mohammad didn't speak randomly from his head.

So, it is your impression that the gospels are incorrect and not accurate quotes of what Jesus said?

womfalcs3 (3/21/2008)
deathdawg (3/21/2008)

Most Muslims reject Al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda and their like aren't perverting the religion in that the religion isn't being changed. They're obviously extremists, but even though they use religion as their motive, their main motive is political. The fact that it's Muslim vs. non-Muslim only exacerbates those political issues they have.

It's actually complex because religion has become intertwined with culture now. Many people confuse people's actions and say it was their religion's fault. More often than not, it was really the traditional culture or political aspect.

I see. I can understand how religion and culture can become intertwined because of my indepth studies of the tibetan people and their culture and religion.

I didn't mean to imply that Al-Qaeda perverts mainstream Islam, but rather that their using Islam to enlist people willing to blow themselves up for Allah is not part of the main teachings that most muslims are taught as many media outlets seem to propagate. Would you say that is fair statement?

I don't mean to come off as brash, I really want to understand how we might find a way to reconcile rather than annihilate. It is that idea that attracts me to Barack Obama, while I understand that there are some who will NEVER change, I also know for a FACT that CHANGE is possible, because of my own personal experience in life.

I would like to discuss this topic further but really have to go right now. Thanks for listening to my rants.