Jason Elam's FG % has been higher the last 2 years than at any other time in his career.

halsey

In 2006 he hit 93% of his FG's

in 2007 he hit 87% of his FG's

That's his 2 highest percentages in a season over his career. He seems to be more accurate than ever inside 50 yards the last 2 years. He doesn't seem to kick much beyond 50 yards, only hitting 2 of 3 the last 2 seasons. From everywhere else he seems as good, if not better, than ever. He hasn't missed a single FG inside 40 over the last 2 seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonelam/caree...ts?id=ELA548409

Thanks for that. Kicker is a position where players can age and still be effective. Personally I reckon most of the hate for him is from UGA fans who wanted to see Coutu.

I reckon it's a great pickup for us. He is dependable, and considering he won 4 games for Denver last year, I would be more than satisfied if he managed that for us.

gazoo (3/21/2008)
He also kicked in the thin air at Mile High Stadium in Denver which is well known to slow down balls in the air, baseballs and footballs.

He should be able to add 7-10 yards on his kicks not having to kick there 8 games a year.

I thought it made them move faster :D

anyway if you go to denvers site they had some statistics of his percentages home/away...he missed more FG's home than he did on other stadiums if I remember correctly

romfal (3/21/2008)
gazoo (3/21/2008)
He also kicked in the thin air at Mile High Stadium in Denver which is well known to slow down balls in the air, baseballs and footballs.

He should be able to add 7-10 yards on his kicks not having to kick there 8 games a year.

I thought it made them move faster :D

anyway if you go to denvers site they had some statistics of his percentages home/away...he missed more FG's home than he did on other stadiums if I remember correctly

actually, you are correct...it is the opposite of what I was thinking. It slows ME down when I'm in the high altitudes becuase of the oxygen content in the air, not the balls!

You really don't take the time to understand people's posts do you?  I don't think anyone has a problem with Elam.  If anything he is a hometown product that I think most people including myself would hope the best for.  However from a business standpoint you have to look at it as a guy who is 37 and has started to show signs of the injury bug.  I'm not completely versed on kicker compensation but it seems like a lot of $ to pay a 37 year old kicker.  Dollars that could have gone to signing depth at Corner or Offensive Line.  If you follow any of Denver's games you will know that there have been times over the past couple of seasons that they have punted rather than have Elam take the distance kicks, due to injury troubles.