3-time Pro Bowl kicker will sign with Atlanta

draftsharks

This is on draftsharks today >

There are numerous reports that free-agent K Jason Elam will sign with the Atlanta Falcons this weekend. Elam just turned 38 but all signs indicate he could kick at a high level for a while. He hit 15 straight FGs last year, including 4 walk-off game-winners.  We did some research and found that Atlanta has been the worst kicking team from 50+ yards since 2003, converting a pitiful 2 of 12. Elam has hit 12 of his last 20 from downtown.

www.draftsharks.com

Excellent news, if true. The statement below is from a Bronco blog and shows how much of a benefit Elam will be for Atlanta. As a kicker with experience and mentor for a young kicker we might draft, he will fit the profile of the Dimitroff player, that has more than one role.

Matt Prater wants to become a better field-goal kicker. Jason Elam has handled those duties for the Broncos since 1993.

You d think that combination of circumstances would leave the incumbent thinking that an embargo on tips and tidbits about the craft would be advisable. But that isn t the case with Elam.

Prater wants to learn, and Elam is more than happy to oblige, which is reason No. 732 why the longtime Bronco is one of the highest-quality individuals to pass through the Broncos locker room, whether it s located on the north side of Denver off Logan Street or in the windblown high prairies of the southern suburbs.

Prater knows he needs the help; his 1-of-4 performance on field goals for the Falcons in Weeks 1 and 2 helped lead to his release in spite of his splendid work on kickoffs, which included a 75-percent touchback ratio and an average of 71.3 yards a kick.

Elam s first lesson for Prater focused on controlled kicking, because it s a different swing from a kickoff, the 15-year veteran explained. You re trying to kill the ball on a kickoff, it s all out; it s a driver. The average field goal s 34 yards, so you ve got to get your mind around only kicking as hard as you have to, using the 7-iron. So that s more along the lines of what I was trying to tell him.

I heard Jack Nicklaus one time, just trying to say that in a round of golf, 75 percent of his hits are mis-hits, but he s trying to keep it going straight. That s what I m trying to get across to him.

Prater s attention is rapt when Elam speaks. He knows there might not be a finer moment for him to acquire the tools with which a lengthy NFL career can be constructed.

I just think of it as an awesome opportunity to learn from him, because he s done it for so long and he knows something I don t know, Prater said. I hope to learn that from him and take it wherever.

Then when it s my time I don t know when, a couple of years from now, maybe somewhere else, who knows I hopefully can learn from him and take it wherever I go.

draftsharks (3/21/2008)

There are numerous reports that free-agent K Jason Elam will sign with the Atlanta Falcons this weekend. Elam just turned 38 but all signs indicate he could kick at a high level for a while. He hit 15 straight FGs last year, including 4 walk-off game-winners.  We did some research and found that Atlanta has been the worst kicking team from 50+ yards since 2003, converting a pitiful 2 of 12. Elam has hit 12 of his last 20 from downtown.

www.draftsharks.com[/quote]

also, the air in Denver at "Mile High Stadium" is thin and dry making it much harder on a kicker to kick long FG's....the ball loses velocity much quicker.

Here in he Dome, the atmosphere is much more conducive to kicking.

gazoo (3/21/2008)
draftsharks (3/21/2008)

www.draftsharks.com[/quote]

also, the air in Denver at "Mile High Stadium" is thin and dry making it much harder on a kicker to kick long FG's....the ball loses velocity much quicker.

Here in he Dome, the atmosphere is much more conducive to kicking.

Balls travel much farther in Mile High than they do here. I don't know if Elam can be dependable at 50+ while kicking for us. I'm not against the signing but I do worry about his leg at his age.