Jake Long vs Derrick Harvey

From what this video is showing, Long got the best of him. I watched most of this game and don't remember seeing Long get beat for a sack, but supposedly Harvey got a couple in this game. It must have been when he shifted to the other side, because everything I read says Long only gave up one sack all year and that was to Gholston. Anyone have anything to verify that Harvey's sacks come from the other side of the line, so we have more than hearsay. I want more than just the word of message board people becaue according to some Long never faced any NFL caliber DE's other than Gholston, which is now officially proven not true.

According to some reliable members in this forum (I believe it was grendel and jidady), Michigan clearly game-planned to help Long out against Harvey. From what I understand they usually put a TE or RB on Long's side and let Long slide inside and take the inside-rusher. I'm not positive on this though. I was unable to see the game.

grendel (3/21/2008)
Scott24Falcs (3/21/2008)
According to some reliable members in this forum (I believe it was grendel and jidady), Michigan clearly game-planned to help Long out against Harvey. From what I understand they usually put a TE or RB on Long's side and let Long slide inside and take the inside-rusher. I'm not positive on this though. I was unable to see the game.

Yeah, I saw them do that several times. I don't think it's a coincidence that more than half the plays on that video were running plays...

Actually, there were 4 passes and 4 runs.

Talk about being blinded by an agenda...

Hey, gitwitme, since I can't quote your psot for some reason i'll reply to you this way. You said in this thread: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topic3327683-56-2.aspx that Gholston is the only NFL quality DE Long played all year long. Now you're saying you watched the whole Florida-Michigan game. Time to make an excuse. Make it a good one.

grendel (3/21/2008)
halsey (3/21/2008)
Hey, gitwitme, since I can't quote your psot for some reason i'll reply to you this way. You said in this thread: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topic3327683-56-2.aspxthat Gholston is the only NFL quality DE Long played all year long. Now you're saying you watched the whole Florida-Michigan game. Time to make an excuse. Make it a good one.

Stop being an azz

Impossible for halsey.

grendel (3/21/2008)
halsey (3/21/2008)
Hey, gitwitme, since I can't quote your psot for some reason i'll reply to you this way. You said in this thread: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topic3327683-56-2.aspxthat Gholston is the only NFL quality DE Long played all year long. Now you're saying you watched the whole Florida-Michigan game. Time to make an excuse. Make it a good one.

Stop being an azz

I just gotta be me.

Celt (3/21/2008)
I wouldn't say Long pwnt Harvery but he did a solid job against him.Giving him help against Harvey is just good football.

A>

Hmm...It was good football to give Long help, but isn't the point of a franchise LT to have someone who doesn't need help against elite pass rushers?

We can get guys in the 2nd or 3rd round who we can plug in at LT, and as long as we give them help against good passrushers, they'll do a solid job. You'd basically just be paying a huge premium to add in elite runblocking at LT(the least important position for runblocking on the oline) by selecting Long over one of those guys.

If you have to give him help, you can't take him in the top 10, much less top 3.

I don't think Michigan gave any thought at all to Long being a franchise LT in the NFL.  They were trying to win a football game. 

The point of this thread was to answer the many posts that claim Long didn't play well against elite NFL prospects.  He played well against Harvey in that game. 

This is what's funny to me: Long projects to be a Pro Bowl quality RT by most and is also expected to block at Pro Bowl level in the running game at LT. As a pass blocker let's say he'll be average or slightly below average for an LT at worst. Every player has questions and issues. Who in this draft has less questions or issues than him? At very worst he is ranked as the 20th best prospect by some observers. Most rank him top 3.

grendel (3/21/2008)
halsey (3/21/2008)
This is what's funny to me: Long projects to be a Pro Bowl quality RT by most and is also expected to block at Pro Bowl level in the running game at LT. As a pass blocker let's say he'll be average or slightly below average for an LT at worst. Every player has questions and issues. Who in this draft has less questions or issues than him? At very worst he is ranked as the 20th best prospect by some observers. Most rank him top 3.

Here's your answer: Warrick Dunn

He was an incredible pass blocker. He did a LOT of little things to help the team win. The thing is, although he was still very elusive and could find tiny creases to slip through, he'd lost a lot of the burst and top-end speed that let him break big plays. He did lots of things right, but running the ball is the primary job of a runningback, so he's gone now.

confused-black-dog.jpg

halsey (3/21/2008)
Hey, gitwitme, since I can't quote your psot for some reason i'll reply to you this way. You said in this thread: http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topic3327683-56-2.aspx that Gholston is the only NFL quality DE Long played all year long. Now you're saying you watched the whole Florida-Michigan game. Time to make an excuse. Make it a good one.

LMAO you got me.  I didn't watch the whole game, but you're right I have no excuse. 

grendel (3/21/2008)
Ok, I see you're confused...

Dunn did everything right except run the ball... But he's a runningback, and that's the most important job for the runningback.

Long does everything exceptionally except pass blocking against speed rushers.... But as a LT pass blocking and keeping the pressure off the QB's blindside is the most important job.

I couldn't have said it better.

He had a good game and got help in one game against a good defensive linemen. Since when is one game a good judge of a player's overall abilities, positive or negative? Maybe when the player only faces two or three guys that are worth watching, but still, can we stop with the youtube scouting?