Dream scenario for the draft

vdclover

I know its a stretch, but what if we could do 2 trades within the top 10.

Here it goes,

1. The Jets want Dmac, so we trade down with the Jets for the 6th pick (and their 2nd)

2. The Bengals want Gholston, so we trade down with the Bengals for the 9th pick (and their 2nd)

Top 9 picks would look like this

1 Miami Dolphins: Jake Long

2 St. Louis Rams: Chris Long

3 New York Jets: Darren McFadden

4 Oakland Raiders: Glenn Dorsey

5 Kansas City Chiefs: Ryan Clady

6 Cincinnati Bengals: Vernon Gholston

7 New England Patriots: Dominque Rodgers Cromartie

8 Baltimore Ravens: Matt Ryan

9 Atlanta Falcons: Sedrick Ellis

We still get Ellis, and add two addition 2nd round picks.

Am I crazy? :crazy:

this is pretty unlikely but if it happened i wouldnt be mad at all..........but i do want Dorsey ALOT MORE than Ellis

I agree that it's unlikely, but I just think that our front office is so committed to rebuilding this team that somehow we will move out of the 3rd pick (to add more picks).

One things for sure, I'm more interested in this draft more than any other I can remember.

Michael Overman (3/21/2008)
Remember we'd have to pay those two top 10 picks....Top ten money

Not sure I like giving 28-30+ guaranteed money to two fresh out of college guys

Did you read the post? :D We would not get 2 1st round picks, we would trade down twice.

We would add 2 2nd round picks

ukfalc (3/21/2008)
If we trade down with the Jets for just a 2nd, we'd be losing 80 points on the draft value chart. If they want to move up, they can throw in a 2008 or 2009 4th rounder as well.

Not everything can be based on the draft value charts. I would do that deal in a minute. If it's only an 80 point difference and you talking about a hypothetical point value of 2,400 points for our #3 pick then that is a very small difference.

I would certainly try to get the Jets to throw in another pick but I wouldn't say no to the trade over 80 points on someones "draft pick value chart".

If we trade down with the Jets for just a 2nd, we'd be losing 80 points on the draft value chart. If they want to move up, they can throw in a 2008 or 2009 4th rounder as well.

When you consider the money we would save, I wouldn't care if we lose 80 points

the value chart is not set in stone for every year this year the first 3 picks arent worth as much because there are know standout players who just shout out to be took that early. we should also take into account the fact that we had 2 other nearby 2nd rounders which would wipe out the 80 points on the standard value chart

That is one of the primary reasons why we are in this mess ... we've undervalued draft picks, getting bad value in trades (the trade down with denver in 2006)or just flat out wasting them on expensve veterans (the firsts for Abe and Price, the 4th for Crocker) or just to move up a few spots in the draft (the picks given up to move up for YKW, Jenkins, Jimmy Williams etc.).

You don't just give away draft position or points on the draft value chart, especially when you are in a stronger bargaining position that the other team in the trade.  If someone wants to move up badly enough they will give us full value for the pick or risk miss out.

The difference in pice between #3 and #6 is insignificant for us, given that we have $15m of cap room and very few players (Anderson, Abraham, Turner) with sizeable long term contracts.

vdclover (3/21/2008)

When you consider the money we would save, I wouldn't care if we lose 80 points

I like the idea and wouldn't mind seeing an 80 point loss on that account.  Ellis is better than Dorsey is in some reviews.  BOTH are 'elite' DTs according to the evaluators of the draft talent.

BTW: That Roddy White pic made me fall out of my seat!!!

ukfalc (3/21/2008)
That is one of the primary reasons why we are in this mess ... we've undervalued draft picks, getting bad value in trades (the trade down with denver in 2006)or just flat out wasting them on expensve veterans (the firsts for Abe and Price, the 4th for Crocker) or just to move up a few spots in the draft (the picks given up to move up for YKW, Jenkins, Jimmy Williams etc.).

You don't just give away draft position or points on the draft value chart, especially when you are in a stronger bargaining position that the other team in the trade.  If someone wants to move up badly enough they will give us full value for the pick or risk miss out.

The difference in pice between #3 and #6 is insignificant for us, given that we have $15m of cap room and very few players (Anderson, Abraham, Turner) with sizeable long term contracts.

Making this hypothetical deal would be one of the best moves we could make in this draft. We have tons of holes on the team, this is a fairly deep draft, and we would be adding another top 40 pick. Those charts are not written in stone.

vdclover (3/21/2008)

Here it goes,

1. The Jets want Dmac, so we trade down with the Jets for the 6th pick (and their 2nd)

2. The Bengals want Gholston, so we trade down with the Bengals for the 9th pick (and their 2nd)

Yes you are... There is solid depth in the later rounds this year.

Top 10 picks are overrated... but thats jus me

bucman (3/21/2008)
vdclover (3/21/2008)

Here it goes,

Yes you are... There is solid depth in the later rounds this year.

Top 10 picks are overrated... but thats jus me

Did you read what his original concept was? He's only got us having 1 top 10 pick but by trading down we would add an additional two 2nd round picks.  

jidady (3/21/2008)
80 points is an early fourth round pick...the #107 overall. I cannot believe how many people are acting like it's no big deal not to get that selection.

That chart is meant to be a general ref. not a set of laws written in stone. If I could get the number 6 pick & the number 37 pick just for moving down 3 spots I would do it in a heartbeat. I believe most NFL GM's would do it as well.

That's why we are a losing team that is devoid of talent.

Other teams won't accept lesser value (just look at the Lions demands for multiple day 1 picks to teams wanting to move up for CJ) so why should we? We need to grow a pair and stop being a team that capitulates and accepts bad value, especially when negotiating from a position of strength.

If another team wants the #3 pick they can give us full value for it or they can miss out on the player that they covet. We already have 3 second round picks. Another one would be very nice, but we don't need it badly enough to just let another team have their way with us. If we were 10-20 point down on the trade I wouldn't be overly concerned because a 6th-7th round pick is likely to be no more than a fringe player or long term developmental prospect, but not 80 points (worth a mid 4th rounder).

ukfalc (3/21/2008)

If another team wants the #3 pick they can give us full value for it or they can miss out on the player that they covet. We already have 3 second round picks. Another one would be very nice, butwe don't need itbadly enough to just let another team have their way with us. If we were10-20 point down on the trade I wouldn't beoverlyconcerned because a 6th-7th round pick is likely to be no more than a fringe player or long term developmental prospect, but not 80 points(worth amid 4th rounder).

This is exactly right. People need to consider opportunity cost much more carefully.

The Denver part of the Abraham deal still tears me up.

vdclover (3/21/2008)

Here it goes,

That could easily happen. I dont know if we would be able to make the 2 trades in the top ten but If we do we will probably be able to get ellis at 9.

ukfalc (3/21/2008)
That's why we are a losing team that is devoid of talent.

Other teams won't accept lesser value(just look at the Lions demands for multiple day 1 picksto teams wanting to move up for CJ)so why should we? We need to grow a pair and stop being a team that capitulates and accepts bad value,especially when negotiating from aposition of strength.

If another team wants the #3 pick they can give us full value for it or they can miss out on the player that they covet. We already have 3 second round picks. Another one would be very nice, butwe don't need itbadly enough to just let another team have their way with us. If we were10-20 point down on the trade I wouldn't beoverlyconcerned because a 6th-7th round pick is likely to be no more than a fringe player or long term developmental prospect, but not 80 points(worth amid 4th rounder).

The draft value chart is not the actual chart the GM's use. Its just there to get the basic idea of what each draft pick is valued at.

If we can trade down to the 6th and then to the 9th and still pick up ellis while getting 2 extra 2nd round picks would me amazing.

We could pick up ellis at number 9 and probably make a deal and trade back into the late first round and pick up a QB or a player we want.

or we can stay in the 2nd and hopefully pick up 4 quality starters. Last season we picked up 2 starters in the 2nd. We could probably find a starter for our OT, QB, MLB and possible a RT or RG with those 4 seconds.