Letter to Keith Brooking

chuck

Dear Keith,

I would like to start by thanking you for your years of dedication to the team both on and off the field.  I am a GT alum and was happy when we drafted you and, for the most part, you have had a stellar career.

That being said, based on last year's performance, I don't think you should be our starting MLB next year.  In fact, I am one of the many who are suprised that you haven't been released yet.  I'm not sure if has to do with the way your contract is structured, if they are talking to you about a pay-cut and new restructure, or if they want to wait until after June 1st so the cap hit would be defrayed til next year.  At any rate, if you are on the team this year, I sure hope you are doing everything possible in the off-season to prepare yourself to give it everything you've got and try to end your career on a high note.

Why can't you shed blocks any more?  A MLB needs to be able to step in and plug the very hole the offense is trying to create for the running back -- we need some 'smack down' at the line.  It seems like you are always pushed back 6 or 7 yards before you even have a chance to get in on the tackle. I know at times the MLB has some pass coverage duties, but if you can't stuff the run -- you ain't s**t.

Good luck to you whether you're a falcon next year or not.  But I hope you live in the weight room, running, and studying film so that you can be proud of the way you go out.

You must have READ my mind. Everyday is jumping up for joy one our BEST defensive player has just left. Not mad at him for getting paid. But people have a problem with that too. Haters! But Mr. Highway 56 has been stealing money for several years now and ALL you hear are excuses as to why. He is playing out of position. You got that right. He is playing a position that he can't play LB. I do not care if is middle, weak or strong. :hehe: Why on Earth are we paying this guy North of $6mill this season. I read the AJC (Steve Wyche) state the Falcons are trying to get rid of over aged players. Hum? Isn't #56 31 years old playing LB on a defense that SUCKED. Is this the leadership we need? I think not. But people who are not biased or blind know what the true deal is. Keep your mouth shut and say yes sir and you will be safe. I thought this was FOOTBALL not brown nosing Corporate America. Your post will be attacked simply because we are talking about Keith "WonderBoy" Brooking.

a sad, sick, stupid post and very immature...sorry to other GT alumni, we know he really doesn't represent the majority of GT

go Keith Brooking, as a long time Falcon Fan since 1975 I think you're a class act and still very productive on the field. Let me add.....A CLASS ACT as well

when the time comes TD and coach Smith will decide KB future as a Falcon:D 

sorry this thread doesn't deserve a response

Next season??? What about this season??? Really? Honestly? Is this guy worth the money he is being paid? Top 5 LB pay, when our BEST LB is Boley who I might add STILL has not gotten a new contract! You sound like ALL the Vick so called Huggers. Therefore, I must conclude you are a Brooking Hugger because you are not looking at this in the broad concept of fiscal responsibility.

I really don't understand all the hate for Brooking.  He has been and still is the leader of our defense.  Boley is a good LB but he had one good year.  Brooking has been doing this for awhile.  I agree that he has lost a step but he is still very productive and the only "true" Falcon left on this team. All of you who want him released are not real fans.  I for one hope he retires a Falcon!  AND no I don't mean this year OR next. 

Brooking has played middle linebacker for most of the last two years. Surely there is plenty of footage to review to judge his ability at that position.  Question, if he is so bad at playing that position why has coach Smith ASKED him to stay there for another year.  Surely getting a new MLB would have been high on the FA or trade list if Brooking is so bad. Sorry but I trust coach Smith's opinion (especially on the defensive side of the ball.)

delaigle (3/21/2008)
Brooking has played middle linebacker for most of the last two years.Surely thereis plenty of footage to review to judge his ability at that position. Question, if he is so bad at playing that position why has coach Smith ASKED him to stay there for another year. Surely getting a new MLB would have been high on the FA or trade list if Brooking is so bad. Sorry but I trust coach Smith's opinion (especially on the defensive side of the ball.)

They need somebody to market.. DUH

Mr. VSU (3/21/2008)
delaigle (3/21/2008)
Brooking has played middle linebacker for most of the last two years.Surely thereis plenty of footage to review to judge his ability at that position. Question, if he is so bad at playing that position why has coach Smith ASKED him to stay there for another year. Surely getting a new MLB would have been high on the FA or trade list if Brooking is so bad. Sorry but I trust coach Smith's opinion (especially on the defensive side of the ball.)

I don't think TD and smith give a D*** about marketing a single player I believe their "new" approach is to market the "TEAM"

Mr. VSU (3/21/2008)
delaigle (3/21/2008)

If that is the case, they really do not have much to sell at this point. Do they? But people keep saying he is the "new" face of the franchise so please be sure to make this point known we others say this, please. Thanks

Idiot post.  Football 101 teaches that football is a TEAM SPORT.  When there is a breakdown in one area it affects another.  With no effective D line play, offensive blockers are able to engage the linebackers deep and at full speed.  The middle linebacker position is required to react to plays up the middle.  When the middle is clogged by several 300 pound+ offensive blockers, there are not many places to go to avoid the crunch.  Delay the O-blockers at the line and the linebackers can then shoot the gaps.  Elementary.

retiredfalcon (3/21/2008)
I am just wondering why the criticism on Brooking did't he record another 100 tackle season?

I mean what is the metric that determines performance for a linebacker?

FOr a number of these people the metric is whatever Kieth Brooking does not do.