Rebuilding Confusion

Rock Thrower

There are many "Fans" saying they don't expect much this year because we are rebuilding.  I am confused (and I'm sure someone will straighten me out).  There have been examples of other teams that have gone through similar situations and done well.  Whenever you get a new coach don't you basically start a new system?  All the players have to learn.  I know with all the rookies it is a little different with the speed and strength of the game changing but we should still expect that we could have a winning season.  Mora's first year went well.. 11-5 if I remember correctly.  There just wasn't much to follow.

I have been a fan for many many years and can remember when everyone said nothing would change until RS & Family were out of the picture.  With this franchise someone always has an excuse.  I expect a winning season.  Then next year another.  If we can get back to back winning seasons then I'll expect the playoffs and a SB.  After all the years we've been waiting is it too much to ask to give them a couple more years to prove themselves?

I think with all the new faces we should be supporting them instead of saying what they can't or won't be able to do until they prove otherwise.

I've been lurking on this board for several weeks and debated whether or not to join because of all the trash and trolling you have to look through to find a good conversation.  I assumed (I know) that I could come to the Falcons website, find a forum that disussed the team and players without all that, but unlike other official forums I find that you can't access that until you put up with all the hate and trolling until you get right at 1K posts....  Just my .02

Rock Thrower (3/20/2008)
There are many "Fans" saying they don't expect much this year because we are rebuilding.  I am confused (and I'm sure someone will straighten me out).  There have been examples of other teams that have gone through similar situations and done well.  Whenever you get a new coach don't you basically start a new system?  All the players have to learn.  I know with all the rookies it is a little different with the speed and strength of the game changing but we should still expect that we could have a winning season.  Mora's first year went well.. 11-5 if I remember correctly.  There just wasn't much to follow.

I have been a fan for many many years and can remember when everyone said nothing would change until RS & Family were out of the picture.  With this franchise someone always has an excuse.  I expect a winning season.  Then next year another.  If we can get back to back winning seasons then I'll expect the playoffs and a SB.  After all the years we've been waiting is it too much to ask to give them a couple more years to prove themselves?

I think with all the new faces we should be supporting them instead of saying what they can't or won't be able to do until they prove otherwise.

I've been lurking on this board for several weeks and debated whether or not to join because of all the trash and trolling you have to look through to find a good conversation.  I assumed (I know) that I could come to the Falcons website, find a forum that disussed the team and players without all that, but unlike other official forums I find that you can't access that until you put up with all the hate and trolling until you get right at 1K posts....  Just my .02

i agree....ty for the post of along time falcons fan...imo this time its gonna take a few years to rebuild just because what we went through last year.....been a fan since 75.& i cant remember any team that had to deal with what we had to......that being said....if we stick with our plan instead of being impatient,i truly believe we can get to where we want to be.i have hope & believe this will be our turning point with OUR team...if nothing else,we deserve it....have to believe.......go falcons

We definitely are rebuilding. But take heart, that doesn't by definition exclude an improved record. With a few lucky breaks here and there, we might field a team that actually has a chance to win each game.

Remember:

The team no longer has a disloyal, conniving martinet for a head coach.

The new head coach arguably knows a lot more about winning in the NFL.

The new OC knows a lot more about winning in the NFL than the old HC.

We've got different people in charge of the draft.

We're in position for a great draft.

Our 2007 rookies have one year of experience.

Our current starting QB will work for an entire off-season with the receivers.

We may finally have a competent FS.

We may finally have a running back that can get short yardage first downs.

We've found our kick returner in Jerious Norwood.

If we get lucky:

We have a good draft.

John Abraham avoids his even-year curse.

Renardo Foster heals fully and competes for a job on the OL.

Trey Lewis heals fully and is in game shape by mid season.

Jamaal Anderson loses his rookie funk.

Kendall Moorehead shows that he is a worthy of starting at DT.

Stephen Nicholas shows why he almost took DWilliams job before his injury.

Laurent Robinson shows that he is worthy of being a #1 receiver let alone #2.

Martrez Milner recovers from his injury and improves his blocking.

And on and on.

We just have to see how things shake out. That's part of the fun.

Rock Thrower (3/20/2008)
There are many "Fans" saying they don't expect much this year because we are rebuilding. I am confused (and I'm sure someone will straighten me out). There have been examples of other teams that have gone through similar situations and done well. Whenever you get a new coach don't you basically start a new system? All the players have to learn. I know with all the rookies it is a little different with the speed and strength of the game changing but we should still expect that we could have a winning season. Mora's first year went well.. 11-5 if I remember correctly. There just wasn't much to follow.

I have been a fan for many many years and can remember when everyone said nothing would change until RS & Family were out of the picture. With this franchise someone always has an excuse. I expect a winning season. Then next year another. If we can get back to back winning seasons then I'llexpect the playoffs and a SB. After all the years we've been waiting is it too much to ask to give them a couple more years to prove themselves?

I've been lurking on this board for several weeks and debated whether or not to join because of all the trash and trolling you have to look through to find a good conversation. I assumed (I know) that I could come to the Falcons website, find a forum that disussed the team and players without all that, but unlike other official forums I find that you can't access that until you put up with all the hate and trolling until you get right at 1K posts.... Just my .02

If we go 500 next season we'll be doing good.

This rebuilding is not just from last years debacle, but is from years of poor talent evauluation and frankly too much money spent on superstar contracts leaving little money left for a decent supporting cast. A TEAM... is made up of many good players with a good plan not a small group of "stars" without help and without a plan.

The Falcons were a FG kicker away from going 6-10 last year, and IMHO, could well have beaten MIN if Prater makes that first FG. I only say that to point out that the team wasn't as horrible as their record. I think the personell moves have been wise and necessary. And, if they get a player or two in the draft that can come in and contribute immediately, I think 8-8 is a very reasonable and acheivable goal.

There is a difference between a "remodel" and a total rebuild. What we are going through is a total rebuild. Dimitroff is going to tear down the roster and build it back up to fit a physical style of play. During the Mora and Petrino regimes, we were built to play more of a finesse style of football. We followed the Alex Gibbs method of offensive line building, and put all of the playmaking responsibility on the QB (Vick) We're doing a complete 180 both philosophy and personnel wise. This is realistically going to be a 3 to 4 year process, and the loyal Falcon fan understands that.

Welcome and thanks for a positive, insightful first post. Hopefully you will get into Pure Football and have a chance to escape the juvenile madness of this forum. In the meantime, keep up the good posts. Just remember, the ignore button is internal and a sense of humor is your best friend.