Stay classy, John McCain! Why can't GOP followers be more like...

Ramen

McCain Suspends Staffer for Circulating Obama-Pastor Video

by FOXNews.com

Thursday, March 20, 2008

The John McCain campaign has suspended an aide for circulating a political attack video that splices together footage of Barack Obama, his long-time pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. and historical imagery of black power proponents.

The YouTube video, called Is Obama Wright?, was making the rounds on conservative blogs, before the McCain aide, identified as Soren Dayton, was punished for posting it on a personal Twitter page.

We have been very clear on the type of campaign we intend to run and this staffer acted in violation of our policy, McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker told FOX News.

McCain has said repeatedly that he intends to run a respectful general election campaign. As the Wright controversy mounted over the course of the last week, both McCain and Hillary Clinton stayed silent on the issue.

The YouTube video in question showed snippets of incendiary Wright sermons, including one where he refers to the United States as the U.S. of KKK-A, interspersed with clips of Obama denying being present during the controversial sermons. The video also includes a clip of Malcolm X, the rap song Fight the Power and segments questioning Obama s patriotism.

The Politico reported that the video was made in part by Lee Habeeb, former producer for The Laura Ingraham Show.

Dayton posted the link at 12:31 p.m. ET Thursday with the heading Good video on Obama and Wright the Politico was first to report. It was later taken down.

Dayton was described to FOX News by one campaign source as a low-level political staffer. It is not clear how long the suspension will last.

Steve_Bartkowski (3/20/2008)
silentbob1272 (3/20/2008)
If Hillary gets the nod, McCain will have to climb down off that high horse, she'll tear off his head and sh*t down his neck on live TV to get back into the WH

Yep. He has everything to gain from sitting back and being the good guy. He can sit there and have a bag of popcorn and watch Obama and Clinton tear each other down. He can also watch Obama's past tear him down too.

The gloves will come off later in the election cycle IF they need to.

I agree...politicians are politicians, all will get in the mud if need be

emack06redux (3/20/2008)
I am an Obama supporter....If this primary is somehow unfairly stolen from him by Hilllary....im possibly voting for McCain....why.....he seems to have some character....something I fail to see in Bush.....I give Kudos to McCain for taking swift action. :)

I think we have literally the two best statesmen leading the tickets that we could possibly have.

I won't vote for Obama because I disagree with him on the issues.

I am glad he's in over Hillary because Hillary is bad for the body politic, and Obama is good for the body politic.

JDaveG (3/20/2008)
Sad.

He OUGHT to be the good guy. And the best that we can get is "well, **** climb in the mud when the general rolls around?"

Jerry Springer politics. It's what's wrong with this country. It's why decent people so rarely run for office.

Amen brother Ben!... I mean Dave.

deathdawg (3/20/2008)
JDaveG (3/20/2008)
Sad.

He OUGHT to be the good guy. And the best that we can get is "well, **** climb in the mud when the general rolls around?"

Jerry Springer politics. It's what's wrong with this country. It's why decent people so rarely run for office.

Amen brother Ben!... I mean Dave.

:D

Z%T%f% (3/20/2008)
yes...McCain is soooo above painting false pictures of Obama.

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/02/19...xperienced/

Come on now.  From your article:

Will we make the right changes& or will we heed the appeals for change that ignore the lessons of history and lack confidence in the intelligence and ideals of free people? McCain said before about 500 supporters after declaring victory Tuesday in the Wisconsin Primary. I will fight every moment of every day in this campaign to make sure Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change& .that promises no more than a holiday from history and return to the false promises and failed policies of a tired philosophy that trusts in government more than the people.

I don't have a problem with this.  Obama IS inexperienced.  That doesn't disqualify him, but it is a fair comment.  He did not say OBAMA was being "deceptive," as this blog wrongly states.  He said he would fight to make sure Americans "are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change."  He was referring to the fact that Obama's policies are, in fact, old line liberalism stated from a newer perspective.  He did not say that Obama intended to deceive anyone.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this quote.  Obama will say exactly the same thing about McCain's policies.  But it's not the same as people painting Obama as a racist Muslim Communist white Christian anti-Christian bigot on specious grounds.

I wasn't even commenting on the article......more so on McCain's comments in the video.

what did he say....something like "Obama once suggested bombing our ally."

he is taking comments out of context to paint a false picture of Obama. it's fine if he wants to do that...but to do it and pretend that he is sooo above things like that is b s.

Z%T%f% (3/21/2008)
I wasn't even commenting on the article......more so on McCain's comments in the video.

what did he say....something like "Obama once suggested bombing our ally."

he is taking comments out of context to paint a false picture of Obama. it's fine if he wants to do that...but to do it and pretend that he is sooo above things like that is b s.

Ah, sorry - I didn't watch the video.  I'll check it out tomorrow.

But he is above the rank slander that people here tend to engage in.  I'm not saying McCain is clean (neither is Obama with his 100 years rhetoric), but there's a line beneath which neither has stooped.  I'll take it, given the recent past elections.

eatcorn (3/21/2008)
No matter what happens, I'm pretty confident we'll have a President who is light years better than W next January.

And, I'll add, light years ahead of his detractors.

On either side.

The only way that DOESN'T happen is if Hillary Clinton is president, but that's a long shot.