Raiders, Hall agree on seven-year deal

KJW 23

Raiders, Hall agree on seven-year deal

NFL.com Wire Reports

Doug Benc/Getty Images

DeAngelo Hall will team with Nnamdi Asomugha to give the Raiders a formidable cornerback tandem.

It's official. The Oakland Raiders have reached agreement with cornerback DeAngelo Hall on a seven-year, $70 million contract that includes $24.5 million in guaranteed money, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

To acquire Hall, the Raiders will send a 2008 second-round pick and a 2009 fifth-round pick to the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons now will have four of the top 48 selections in the upcoming draft.

Hall is a two-time Pro Bowl selection (2005 and 2006), but he is nearly as well known for his outspoken demeanor. He clashed openly with former Falcons coach Bobby Petrino last season and was benched for a half after a sideline confrontation.

DeAngelo Hall, CB

Oakland Raiders

Career statistics

G/GS: 57/55

Tackles: 228

INT: 17

* VIDEO: Hall on film

Hall was the Falcons' No. 1 pick in 2004.

Raiders owner Al Davis has always valued cornerbacks who can excel playing man-to-man coverage. Pairing Hall with Nnamdi Asomugha would give Oakland one of the top tandems in the game and perhaps the best for the Raiders since Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes helped the team win its last Super Bowl following the 1983 season.

The move would also provide insurance if Asomugha were to leave as a free agent following next season. The Raiders placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugha, guaranteeing him at least $9.465 million in 2008. They still would like to sign him to a long-term deal.

Asomugha had a breakthrough season in 2006, intercepting eight passes and becoming one of the top cover cornerbacks in the league. Asomugha had only one interception last season as teams often shied away from throwing to his side of the field and took advantage of Stanford Routt and Fabian Washington on the other side.

By acquiring Hall, that would be more difficult. Washington and Routt have not lived up to expectations in Oakland since being drafted with the team's first two picks in 2005.

By completing the deal, the Raiders only have one draft pick in the first three rounds.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

Samuel got $20 million guaranteed on his six year deal, by the way. So, Hall got a slightly better deal in terms of security. Samuel makes $32 million over the first three years if he plays them all for the Eagles. I'll be curious to see what Hall's pay would be in the same time frame.

For now...Atlanta got screwed. I would have rather had 2 picks this year (2nd and 6th)..than the 5th next year. If if was gonna be a pick next year..it should have at least been a 2nd or a 3rd.

This could all turn around and be an awesome deal in next years FA, but it just seems like for now...we're on the losing end.

Getting rid of a team cancer, and gaining a pick that will net us a young starter for this year is well worth it.  There is no way I would want Atlanta to pay Hall $10 million a year.  That's not worth the production he brings.  People don't seem to realize that having 4 picks in the first two rounds means that we will have 4 new potential starts next year. 

Tyler D (3/20/2008)
For now...Atlanta got screwed. I would have rather had 2 picks this year (2nd and 6th)..than the 5th next year. If if was gonna be a pick next year..it should have at least been a 2nd or a 3rd.

This could all turn around and be an awesome deal in next years FA, but it just seems like for now...we're on the losing end.

how did we get screwed? we got another 2nd rounder, and it's nice getting the 5th for next year where we wont have near as many draft picks.

i'm just glad to be rid of the self-hyping reject, myself. he'll always go for the glory play 1st and make the smart play 2nd his entire career. F Hall, right in the ear. end of story.