when you were a kid

KingPickles

Yes, and my dad had seat belts installed in the cars that didn't already have them.  He's fanatical about safety.  Although, this is the same man who was pulled over in 1969 for street racing...with my then-infant brother in a car seat in the back ("He was secured!  He laughed the entire time!").

Yup, every time. And I'm glad I adopted that practice...I've seen so many senseless deaths and tragic LOC, coma, limb loss, etc from not wearing a belt.

Then there is the group of people that believe the belt will kill you...while the chance is there, it is much much much lower than if you werent. The belt wont save you every time.

XLDenaliReturns (3/20/2008)
MrPickles (3/20/2008)
my wife got a ticket today for not wearing her seat belt. man she is pizzed

seatbelt tickets are BS. i understand if it's a kid in a car, but an adult should be able to ride without a seatbelt if they want.

"you'd be more safe if you wore that sealtbelt, now give us $100!"

Absolutely correct.  If an adult wants to take the risk, he should be able to do so.  However, if he is injured due to the fact that he was not wearing a seat belt, then he better be well insured...  public funds should not be used for those medical expenses...

hillary (3/20/2008)
MrPickles (3/20/2008)

seatbelt tickets are BS. i understand if it's a kid in a car, but an adult should be able to ride without a seatbelt if they want.

Absolutely correct.  If an adult wants to take the risk, he should be able to do so.  However, if he is injured due to the fact that he was not wearing a seat belt, then he better be well insured...  public funds should not be used for those medical expenses...

Most insurance companies will try to get out of medical bills if you aren't wearing your seatbelt.

MrPickles (3/20/2008)

And the $100 is cheaper then the $100,000 medical bills from not wearing a seat belt. You're right......Seat belt tickets are BS.:Wow:

To the people that don't wear seatbelts...why? What benefit do you gain from it? Does it just make you feel like you're sticking it to the man?

I live in NH and you can pretty much do whatever the **** you like. The state motto is Live Free or Die (Trying). So whenever I see someone on a motorcycle without a helmet I think to myself, good grief that's stupid but oh well, natural selection will take care of them. Whenever I hear about people riding around without seatbelts i just think about things up here where it's not illegal and I think, natural selection.

If people aren't smart enough to look out for themselves the state/feds shouldn't do it for them. I believe in natural selection. The strongest, smartest, most well adapted people will survive and don't let the state do anything to prevent the weak, stupid, and poorly adapted from meeting the end that natural selection says they should.

Shiney_McShine (3/22/2008)
MrPickles (3/20/2008)

And the $100 is cheaper then the $100,000 medical bills from not wearing a seat belt. You're right......Seat belt tickets are BS.:Wow:

Watch out, someone is gonna accuse you of endorsing a "nanny state".

They should make it illegal to smoke cigarettes, eating fatty food, bungi jump, pull for the falcons, drink alcohol and anything that might possibly harm us. It's not a matter of sticking it to the man. It's a matter of measured risk. If the insurance companies began refusing claims if you weren't wearing one I could understand it. I've been driving for 35 years. About 2% of that time I've worn a seatbelt. So far so good. I could run into an oak tree this morning, of course, but the tickets I've gotten for it have virtually no impact on whether I buckle up or not. I'm not saying it is smart to not wear one but "stupidity" should not be criminal.

No, my parents disn't enforce that rule and we didn't have baby seats either.  We also had no baby on board stickers or helmets for bikes.  Amazing that I survived!

That being said, I have worn a seatbelt for most of my adult life....common sense.  I am not aginst having a helmet on a kids head when they are riding bikes, boards or scooters...common sense.

That being said, my wife has been on me to wear a helmet when I ski, I am thinking about it because my buddy ad me love to ski the trees.

backnblack (3/22/2008)
They should make it illegal to smoke cigarettes, eating fatty food, bungi jump, pull for the falcons, drink alcohol and anything that might possibly harm us. It's not a matter of sticking it to the man. It's a matter of measured risk. If the insurance companies began refusing claims if you weren't wearing one I could understand it. I've been driving for 35 years. About 2% of that time I've worn a seatbelt. So far so good. I could run into an oak tree this morning, of course, but the tickets I've gotten for it have virtually no impact on whether I buckle up or not. I'm not saying it is smart to not wear one but "stupidity" should not be criminal.

They already do. If you arent wearing a seatbelt, they pretty much wont pay your medical bills.

If you dont wear a seatbelt you are actually endangering anyone else riding in your car... you think Im joking but if some idiot runs a red light you can actually kill someone by your body being thrown around and hitting theirs.

I dont get it though. Why would you not wear a seatbelt? You reduce your risk of getting injured/dying in a wreck exponentially and it isnt uncomfortable or anything and doesnt hinder you.

ninja_kix (3/22/2008)
MrPickles (3/20/2008)

Buy a truck. No seat beat law for trucks. Although the idea of my face hitting the windshiled at 20+ mph doesn't sit well with me. I wear it mostly.

If I'm not mistaken the law was changed for trucks. I think you are now required to wear a seatbelt on everything other than public transportation.

lax32 (3/22/2008)
backnblack (3/22/2008)

They already do. If you arent wearing a seatbelt, they pretty much wont pay your medical bills.

If you dont wear a seatbelt you are actually endangering anyone else riding in your car... you think Im joking but if some idiot runs a red light you can actually kill someone by your body being thrown around and hitting theirs.

I dont get it though. Why would you not wear a seatbelt? You reduce your risk of getting injured/dying in a wreck exponentially and it isnt uncomfortable or anything and doesnt hinder you.

Because seatbelts can easily be the cause of death, as well. Although I agree that it's stupid not to wear one, seatbelts have been known to crush people's chest cavities, break their neck, and of course when you're upside down and in flames, being in a seatbelt is your worst nightmare.