Greatest drivers of all time...any racing, any era

I'm casting my vote for Jim Clark.  By far the best talent of the mid to late 60's, and arguably the best pure talent of all time.  If he had not been killed in 68, he'd have completely re-written the F1 record book to a point that even Schumacher might not have surpassed some of his records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Clark#Com...ula_One_resultshttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/ClarkJim-Lotus19620805.jpg/300px-ClarkJim-Lotus19620805.jpg'>

I've been a fan of auto racing as long as I can remember.  My dad spent a lot of time in England, so my interests have always been F1 and sportscars.

MrPickles (3/20/2008)
lewis hamilton.. well will be the best
It's possible.  The bad thing about racing now is that there's rarely any cross-over when a driver's at their peak. 

Dirvers used to race F1, sportscars, the Indy 500 and maybe even the Daytona 500 all in the same year.  You could spot real talent because it was near the front in so many different types of racing.

With current F1, those guys never step out of F1 until they retire.  And the car means so much now in F1 that if you don't have THE best car, you don't win.  When McLaren isn't the best car and Hamilton is still competetive, I'll have more respect for him.  But he did do a great job against Alonso last year.

alfred e. neuman (3/20/2008)
MrPickles (3/20/2008)
lewis hamilton.. well will be the best
It's possible. The bad thing about racing now is that there's rarely any cross-over when a driver's at their peak.

Dirvers used to race F1, sportscars, the Indy 500 and maybe even the Daytona 500 all in the same year. You could spot real talent because it was near the front in so many different types of racing.

With current F1, those guys never step out of F1 until they retire. And the car means so much now in F1 that if you don't have THE best car, you don't win. When McLaren isn't the best car and Hamilton is still competetive, I'll have more respect for him. But he did do a great job against Alonso last year.

He is so young though. I see your points though

Mario Andretti might not have been the BEST ever, but he won:

Formula 1 Championship

Indycar Championship

Indianapolis 500

Daytona 500

and he did it all from scratch, as a lowly immigrant with nothing but desire and lots of work ethic. Even into his 50s he was competitive and he retired at the top of his game. 

edit* also won numerous 24-hr Daytonas, Sebrings, Lemans, etc.  BASICALLY HE DID EVERYTHING EXCEPT JUMP THE FOUNTAINS AT CAESAR'S PALACE

MrPickles (3/20/2008)
I just really got into f1 about 4 years ago. Why don't we have any tracks over here. that would generate lots of revenue

We've had the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis, but that was on a road course built into the oval.  I doubt we'll see a true road course built for F1 in the U.S. anytime soon.  Mainly because of the cost involved.  Building a track up to the insane standards of the FIA costs billions of dollars. 

And the FIA and F1 (Bernie Ecklestone) are notoriously hard to deal with. 

MrPickles (3/20/2008)
I just really got into f1 about 4 years ago. Why don't we have any tracks over here. that would generate lots of revenue

We've had the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis, but that was on a road course built into the oval. I doubt we'll see a true road course built for F1 in the U.S. anytime soon. Mainly because of the cost involved. Building a track up to the insane standards of the FIA costs billions of dollars.

And the FIA and F1 (Bernie Ecklestone) are notoriously hard to deal with.

Well I enjoyed the f1 racing would love to see one live one day.

MrPickles (3/20/2008)

I've seen just about all forms of racing, from SCCA Autocross in the parking lot of Atlanta Motor Speedway, to F1, and I can say that F1 is the most impressive to see in person.  Followed closely by sportscars.

I can remember the first time I saw an F1 car live.  It was the first USGP at Indy.  It was the Saturday morning practice and Jenson Button was driving for Williams and he was the first driver to come out of his pit stall.  He went from dead stop to hitting the pit lane limiter in less than the blink of an eye.  When he came back around on his first lap, you just could not belive that a car can accelerate, brake, and corner as fast as an F1 car.  Incredible.  And the sound of the (then) v10 at 18,000 rpm was ear splitting.

If you can get to Road Atlanta to see an ALMS race, do it.  It's right up there with F1.  Ecxept you'll get to see and hear so many different types of cars.  The second most impressive thing in motorsports for me is watching come down the hill and into the chicane at Road Atlanta (it used to be even better when The Dip was there).  Huge American V8s, European V12s, Porsche flat 6s, all going flat out downhill toward a tight left-right chicane.

MrPickles (3/20/2008)

I've seen just about all forms of racing, from SCCA Autocross in the parking lot of Atlanta Motor Speedway, to F1, and I can say that F1 is the most impressive to see in person. Followed closely by sportscars.

I can remember the first time I saw an F1 car live. It was the first USGP at Indy. It was the Saturday morning practice and Jenson Button was driving for Williams and he was the first driver to come out of his pit stall. He went from dead stop to hitting the pit lane limiter in less than the blink of an eye. When he came back around on his first lap, you just could not belive that a car can accelerate, brake, and corner as fast as an F1 car. Incredible. And the sound of the (then) v10 at 18,000 rpm was ear splitting.

If you can get to Road Atlanta to see an ALMS race, do it. It's right up there with F1. Ecxept you'll get to see and hear so many different types of cars. The second most impressive thing in motorsports for me is watching come down the hill and into the chicane at Road Atlanta (it used to be even better when The Dip was there). Huge American V8s, European V12s, Porsche flat 6s, all going flat out downhill toward a tight left-right chicane.

When are these races. ?

When it comes to racing, all I've watched is NASCAR so my vote goes to the guy in my sig, Dale Earnhardt Sr. For me, he personified the "racer"...hard-charging, fearless, and wouldn't back down from anyone. The thing I loved about Earnhardt is he busted his ##### to get everything he achieved-the man literally came from the era when you raced on Saturday Night to pay for the groceries. And when the 3 car was out there, you knew it was going to be interesting, because you knew that Dale was going to make his way to the front. In his prime, he dominated NASCAR wether it was a short track or a superspeedway. I've been a huge fan of his since around 1984 when I went to my first race and the void that his death left in the sport is HUGE. Without a doubt, my favorite sports icon of all time.:cool: