The plane and the conveyer belt...

deathdawg

shc (3/20/2008)
deathdawg (3/20/2008)
I argued this till I was blue in the face, here is the proof.YES, (like I said) the plane CAN take off!

Based on what?  Not saying you are right or wrong, just wondering about your stance.

I argued that is could take off, that the airspeed was generated from the engines and not the wheels. It was argued that the plane would just stay still and not take off, like a car would.

Just some questions.

What causes a plane to fly? 

Does it take more airspeed to take off in a headwind?

Does the conveyor start at the same time as the plane, or does the conveyor move the plane first and get to speed and then the airplane starts?

gritzblitz56 (3/20/2008)
It's very simple when you realize that the plane's forward thrust comes from the propellers acting against the air, not the wheels making contact with the runway. So no matter how fast the conveyor belt goes, the aircraft will always be propelled forward.

You would think this would be simple.  But there are some ignorant people out there who, no matter how many times or different ways you tell them this, would bet their mother's lives on the plane not taking off.  Even after seeing it take off on Myth Busters.

shc (3/20/2008)
Just some questions.

What causes a plane to fly? 

lift versus weight and thrust versus drag.

Does it take more airspeed to take off in a headwind?

No

Does the conveyor start at the same time as the plane, or does the conveyor move the plane first and get to speed and then the airplane starts?

Yes, same time, same speed.

If they both start at the same time, then I would agree.  I would wonder though about if the conveyor starts first and gets up to speed, and then the plane has to start.

I am only asking because I haven't seen the episode and don't know what the conditions of the test were.

shc (3/20/2008)
If they both start at the same time, then I would agree.  I would wonder though about if the conveyor starts first and gets up to speed, and then the plane has to start.

I am only asking because I haven't seen the episode and don't know what the conditions of the test were.

If the conveyor started first the plane would be thrown off the conveyor like stopping on a treadmill.

deathdawg (3/20/2008)
shc (3/20/2008)

If the conveyor started first the plane would be thrown off the conveyor like stopping on a treadmill.

Wouldn't that depend on how long the conveyor was?