No official UGA vs Xavier thread?

Joremarid

bossFALCON (3/20/2008)
we should have won that game.

when you are outshot at the line 33 to 5 and have a bunch of more fouls against you (10), as a team you can only do so much. Xavier was manhandling our guards and if we touch an xavier player we get a foul. the 2nd half was called much differently than the first half. prime example is the obvious on bliss on the dunk and another foul on jackson on a dunk and then bliss has a great block and didn't touch with the body and he got all ball and he gets a foul on him. Just 3 examples of very poor officiating. UGA lead for over 30+ minutes, but in the end could overcome the above and win the game. Xavier did a great job of taking advantage of the calls by hitting their free throws.

capologist (3/20/2008)
dan9124 (3/20/2008)
I hate refs...

Somehow I think it has more to do with the people committing the fouls but that's just me...

Well even as a blind hater of anything UGA, I have to agree with Sac. That game was called completely different in the 2nd half than it was the first. Georgia couldn't breath on an Eggsavier player without getting a foul.

But UGA has absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of, and should only be better next year. I don't know anything about their recruiting classes or who is returning or anything like that, but if the majority of the team is returning, they should make a pretty good run next year.

From a Gator to a Dawg, congrats to you guys. What you did was absolutely mind-blowing, and can never be taken away from you. One and done is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when no one even gave you a shot at winning your own conference.

So congratulations Bulldogs, 2008 SEC Champions.

Now I'm going to go swish some listerine so I can get the taste of vomit out of my mouth:P

SacFalcFan (3/20/2008)
bossFALCON (3/20/2008)
we should have won that game.

when you are outshot at the line 33 to 5 and have a bunch of more fouls against you (10), as a team you can only do so much. Xavier was manhandling our guards and if we touch an xavier player we get a foul. the 2nd half was called much differently than the first half. prime example is the obvious on bliss on the dunk and another foul on jackson on a dunk and then bliss has a great block and didn't touch with the body and he got all ball and he gets a foul on him. Just 3 examples of very poor officiating. UGA lead for over 30+ minutes, but in the end could overcome the above and win the game. Xavier did a great job of taking advantage of the calls by hitting their free throws.

yup the free throws killed us. well at least we won the SEC Championship. hope we get even better next year.

capologist (3/20/2008)
dan9124 (3/20/2008)
I hate refs...

Somehow I think it has more to do with the people committing the fouls but that's just me...

Did you watch the game at all in the second half? Something like 22 free throw attempts for X compared to UGA's 6. I'm not saying we didn't foul at all, but a stat like 22-6 has to raise some eyebrows. Two examples: Bliss's block was clearly all ball and the ref couldn't wait to throw his hands up with a foul call. I'm not even sure he waited til the play happened. And Gaines charging to the basket in the second half, going up for the shot, and an X player grabs from behind Gaines as he's going up for a shot and the ref calls a jump ball instead of a foul. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying we would have won if the refs were calling it consistently for both teams in both halves, but it would have been nice to find out...

dan9124 (3/20/2008)

Did you watch the game at all in the second half? Something like 22 free throw attempts for X compared to UGA's 6. I'm not saying we didn't foul at all, but a stat like 22-6 has to raise some eyebrows. Two examples: Bliss's block was clearly all ball and the ref couldn't wait to throw his hands up with a foul call. I'm not even sure he waited til the play happened. And Gaines charging to the basket in the second half, going up for the shot, and an X player grabs from behind Gaines as he's going up for a shot and the ref calls a jump ball instead of a foul. Ridiculous.

I'm not saying we would have won if the refs were calling it consistently for both teams in both halves, but it would have been nice to find out...

No, I didn't (I was forced to listen to it on radio). 14 of the free throw attempts came inside of 3 minutes left to play so that stat is skewed a bit as Xavier didn't have a reason to foul and UGA did to try to get the ball back. I'm not saying it's all the players fault or anything but rarely has it truly been the officials that's ever cost anyone a game. From what I heard, it didn't sound like UGA shot very often or well in the 2nd half either and probably had as much to do with Xavier closing the lead and then blowing the doors open. Bad calls suck and I truly feel for the decent UGA fans that do exist (yes, I acknowledge there are a few)...

Headshot (3/20/2008)
capologist (3/20/2008)
dan9124 (3/20/2008)
I hate refs...

Well even as a blind hater of anything UGA, I have to agree with Sac. That game was called completely different in the 2nd half than it was the first. Georgia couldn't breath on an Eggsavier player without getting a foul.

But UGA has absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of, and should only be better next year. I don't know anything about their recruiting classes or who is returning or anything like that, but if the majority of the team is returning, they should make a pretty good run next year.

From a Gator to a Dawg, congrats to you guys. What you did was absolutely mind-blowing, and can never be taken away from you. One and done is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when no one even gave you a shot at winning your own conference.

So congratulations Bulldogs, 2008 SEC Champions.

Now I'm going to go swish some listerine so I can get the taste of vomit out of my mouth:P

A classy gator fan post. It was great to see you and jgator give UGA props for what they did this past weekend and the accomplishment. :D Great post and completely agree. Regarding UGA's future we have a very good recruiting class coming in next year. We lose Gaines and Bliss (which hurts), but we pick up Ware (PG), Zlovaric (PF) & Howard Thompkins (PF). UGA wants one more guy to add to the class, but not sure if they do add anyone. It's between UGA and Clemson for Travis Leslie, but if they add someone that is who they want to add. UGA has a nice future, but how nice depends on how the new guys blend with the existing guys. I don't know what the ceiling is, but the core of this team picked up valuable experience with today's game. I will be enjoying this SEC Championship for a while in basketball since it was NOT expected. One thing to note UGA won the SEC Championship with only 8 scholarship guys. We were missing a guy named chris barnes who is a tremendous shot blocker and another guy who missed the whole year in jeremy jacob. Both guys are recovering fine from injuries and will be back next year. So this team will be deeper bigtime than they were this year. I want to see what felton can due with a full compliment of players.

Howard Thompkins PF 6-8 225 5.9 Norcross, GA

Dustin Ware PG 6-0 155 5.7 Kennesaw, GA

Drazen Zlovaric PF 6-8 205 5.7 Lenoir, NC

capologist (3/20/2008)
dan9124 (3/20/2008)

No, I didn't (I was forced to listen to it on radio). 14 of the free throw attempts came inside of 3 minutes left to play so that stat is skewed a bit as Xavier didn't have a reason to foul and UGA did to try to get the ball back. I'm not saying it's all the players fault or anything but rarely has it truly been the officials that's ever cost anyone a game. From what I heard, it didn't sound like UGA shot very often or well in the 2nd half either and probably had as much to do with Xavier closing the lead and then blowing the doors open. Bad calls suck and I truly feel for the decent UGA fans that do exist (yes, I acknowledge there are a few)...

all valid points. honestly, while I was sitting there watching the game I felt like Xavier was playing far better than UGA was. Of course, I felt like that through the whole SEC Tournament pretty much too...But still, Xavier's defense was fast paced and unrelenting when UGA had the ball and I give them all the credit in the world. However, there were at least a few questionable calls that really went a long way towards swaying momentum away from UGA. Judging by the way Xavier was playing in the second half, I doubt it would have mattered if the calls went more UGA's way but that team had proven so many people wrong in the last week it would be hard to bet against them. I just wish there was a way to take the human aspect of officiating a game out of the picture. That way there would be no doubt who the better team was, and there would be no scapegoats to lay the blame on.

All in all, it was a great run that won't soon be forgotten here in Athens, and gave everyone around the University something else to talk about besides football for a little while. Congrats to our basketball team on an unbelievable accomplishment and I look forward to seeing if we can carry this newfound heart and grittiness into next year.

dan9124 (3/20/2008)

all valid points. honestly, while I was sitting there watching the game I felt like Xavier was playing far better than UGA was. Of course, I felt like that through the whole SEC Tournament pretty much too...But still, Xavier's defense was fast paced and unrelenting when UGA had the ball and I give them all the credit in the world. However, there were at least a few questionable calls that really went a long way towards swaying momentum away from UGA. Judging by the way Xavier was playing in the second half, I doubt it would have mattered if the calls went more UGA's way but that team had proven so many people wrong in the last week it would be hard to bet against them. I just wish there was a way to take the human aspect of officiating a game out of the picture. That way there would be no doubt who the better team was, and there would be no scapegoats to lay the blame on.

All in all, it was a great run that won't soon be forgotten here in Athens, and gave everyone around the University something else to talk about besides football for a little while. Congrats to our basketball team on an unbelievable accomplishment and I look forward to seeing if we can carry this newfound heart and grittiness into next year.

I was impressed with the 9 point halftime lead and was shocked that it evaporated. It seemed like a different UGA team in the 2nd half. You are right though, you guys had a heckuva run and nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever. Congrats to you!

VH (3/21/2008)
33-5 nuff said. That was a ref rape.

Nevermind the stretch between 15:45 left in the game to 5:05 left in the game where UGA only made 3 shots.  I'm thinking that when you only score 8 points in almost 11 minutes, your lead will probably evaporate.  In the end, that's what cost you.

At the beginning of that stretch you guys were up 43-32.  After 4 missed layups, 2 missed jump shots and 3 missed 3 pointers yeah, a lead will disappear in 11 minutes.

I'm sure you'll chalk that up to me being a Gator and all but that's the facts and they can be verified by anyone who simply looks at the play-by-play. 

It's rarely all the officials fault.  There's usually something that the team could have done to overcome it to win.  In this case, the answer is not going 3 for 12 in an 11 minute stretch...