Keith Brooking on ESPN's First Take

Did anyone see the interview. When I came in they asked about moving on without Vick. I think he said he has moved on from that situation and didn't want to talk about it.

Then they mentioned DeAngelo Hall,they asked how would chemistry be without him. I missed what he said because ESPN blacked out on my t.v. for 5 seconds. :angry: , when it came back on he said that the team must move on without D-Hall. He trust what moves the FO are making.

When asked who would he like the Falcons to draft. Keith said that he just wants a hard working football player.

Thats a little summary for what I caught.

Bloodhoundz (3/20/2008)
Did anyone see the interview. When I came in they asked about moving on without Vick. I think he said he has moved on from that situation and didn't want to talk about it.

Then they mentioned DeAngelo Hall,they asked how would chemistry be without him. I missed what he said because ESPN blacked out on my t.v. for 5 seconds. :angry: , when it came back on he said that the team must move on without D-Hall. He trust what moves the FO are making.

When asked who would he like the Falcons to draft. Keith said that he just wants a hard working football player.

Thats a little summary for what I caught.

Brooking was on 790 this morning and he said DHall was a great team mate, and he got along great with DHall.

Brooking also said that DHall makes the team better and he didn't want to see him go.

But if DHall left, then the team must make do and move on with him.

falcoatlantae (3/20/2008)
Brooking must be making the media rounds today. He's supposed to be on Sirius NFL at noon.

Yep...Brooking was the only one that answered his phone when the front office called to do it. Abraham and Milloy got their phones going straight to voicemail.

Sun Tzu 7 (3/20/2008)
I missed it but I hope somewhere in there he said that he was willing to restructure his contract because he is WAY overpaid.

Now THAT, would be a team player.

And I'm sure you walk up to your boss offering to take a pay cut everytime you hear someone saying you're overpaid and not a team player. 

Fortunately for me, I don't have a boss.  Unless you want to include my wife and Uncle Sam.  Then you have me.

Hey, Bloodhoundz! I took some notes from Keith's appearance on Sirius.

I couldn't catch all of it. And the transcription is pretty raw. I don't have the time to edit it. So everybody blame the misquotes on me and not Brooking, Schein, or Wilcots:

Adam Schein: asked about Quitrino. Why was Bobby Petrino so bad for the Falcons?

Keith Brooking: Oh man, do you guys have all day?

When P quit, was when the season started.

We started having fun again.

Worst season he's ever been a part of.

Solomon Wilcots: You are a Falcon through and through. You're still a Falcon.

Keith Brooking: Believes in Blank. He has a plan. He wants to be known for helping to turn franchise around.

Adam Schein: What do you know about coach smith? Why is he the right guy for the Falcons?

Keith Brooking: Just talking to Smith for few minutes, he is about nuts and bolts. He wants to rebuild OL & DL first.

Solomon Wilcots: what should Smith do with first round pick?

Keith Brooking: I'm going to let all you guys do your mock drafts and figure out who we're going to pick.

I want a guy how comes in every day and works on his craft.

Adam Schein: I like Matt Ryan. He's like a Hasselback. It's not necessarily a pick for '08. What would you're reaction be if #3 was used for QB.

Keith Brooking: I don't know what my reaction would be. Ryan has the intangibles. A guy like that has a great chance of success in the NFL.

Solomon Wilcots: You lost a good player in Warwick Dunn, but you picked up a great player in Michael Turner.

Keith Brooking: Dunn is a better person than he is a football player, and he's a great football player. It's tough when you lose someone like that, but after it happens so many times, you get numb to it. Michael Turner is a great addition to the team.

Adam Schein: I can't fault Hall for speaking his mind last year. ... I'm not in the locker room. Tell the listeners everything about.

Keith Brooking: DHall and I have a great relationship. I talked to him yesterday. We're totally different in our approach to handling issues. I don't believe in speaking out in the media. If it's in a team meeting, go ahead. I'm all for speaking out behind closed doors. I've seen lot of maturity occur from when he was a rookie to now. Evidently he is getting what he wants. And if that makes him happy, then he needs to move on, and we need to move on as well.

Solomon Wilcots: cover-2 and man CB

Keith Brooking: DHall is a shutdown corner. Given Smith's history, Cover-2 is probably going to be a pretty big part of our package. [i missed a key sentence] I'm not saying we're better off without DeAngelo.

Ok, I edited this post, so that it's more intelligible.

Solomon Wilcots: cover-2 and man CB

Keith Brooking: DHall is a shutdown corner. Given Smith's history, Cover-2 is probably going to be a pretty big part of our package. .

I've been wanting some reliable confirmation about probably using cover-2 on defense.  This makes the D Hall trade more sensible.  Why?  B/c in cover-2 you really don't need a man to man shut down corner.  Can a shut down corner play cover-2?  Sure - although the corners are also expected to come up hard on runs to the outside - and tackling is not DeAngelo's specialty.  But it's sort of like using a Porsche for a 3 mile work commute in traffic.  The Porsche can do it, but can never use its unique skills. So why pay for a Porsche when a cheaper car will do *that task in those conditions* just as well.

I guess a football analogy on offense would be a team switching to using a single running back, do they need to keep a great fullback on the roster who can't really do the new scheme?  No.  Does it make the FB a bad player?  No - just not the right fit for the scheme.