D. Hall Sits

chazbykr

The problem is that we have already caved... we have already set the precident...

If you REALLY want to get out of here... just ##### and complain enough... and we'll do it...

Is anyone concerned about how this may affect other players on the roster that may not want to be part of a rebuilding project?

We would have to do what the Bucs did with Keyshawn and pay him to sit at home...

Some team may try to trade for him but we'd have the same problem.  And that's because of his contract situation he can basically dictate where he goes... unless the Falcons decide to give him away for a low draft pick.

Then teams would have no problem trading for a guy for one year... but it would basically be the same thing as letting him walk as far as the Falcons go...

Sun Tzu 7 (3/20/2008)
The problem is that we have already caved... we have already set the precident...

If you REALLY want to get out of here... just ##### and complain enough... and we'll do it...

Is anyone concerned about how this may affect other players on the roster that may not want to be part of a rebuilding project?

I know I am, and I have been ever since it came out that our GM was shopping around our 24 yr old, 2-time pro-bowl corner...

The entire point of the NFL is to stockpile talent so you can win games, and I understand that sometimes deals can't be struck, but we failed to even dedicate ourselves to trying to reach a reasonable deal with Hall...

Any and everything that's been reported about this entire ordeal has squarely been pinned on Hall and I refuse to believe that it is that cut and dry. With a first time GM and head coach there is no way that management does not have a share of the blame in this entire debacle...

I'm certainly not for signing the checkbook over to Hall, but I am sure this could've been handled better. And I hope that this doesn't spill over to the rest of the players on the roster. Boley has already mentioned being disappointed in the possibility (confirmation) of Hall's departure....

Sun Tzu 7 (3/20/2008)
We would have to do what the Bucs did with Keyshawn and pay him to sit at home...

Some team may try to trade for him but we'd have the same problem.  And that's because of his contract situation he can basically dictate where he goes... unless the Falcons decide to give him away for a low draft pick.

Then teams would have no problem trading for a guy for one year... but it would basically be the same thing as letting him walk as far as the Falcons go...

And Al Davis Knows This Well...

All he has to do is think About Randy Moss. He took a 4th Round Pick to get rid of him

Sun Tzu 7 (3/20/2008)

Just let him go. Who cares if we get low-balled or not? I know I don't.

Too much money to deal with his type of "talent".

I think that if he does not sign elsewhere, we simply expect him to participate in all team activities as per his contract. We start him and play him. During this time, we field offers if anyone is interested in him.

He will show up and give a great effort realizing that he is at the end of his contract. If he refuses to play his free agent market declines. If he plays poorly, his free agent market declines. If he lets his negative mouth run, his free agent market declines.

Next year we franchise him still looking to trade him. If we have to, we play him in 2009. I also would not be adverse to signing him to a reasonable contract at any step along the way.

Having him sit while we pay him might give us some oneupmanship satisfaction, but this will never happen. I makes more sense to play him.

The same way he distorts everything to try to save face, he will be able to distort to his own satisfaction to make this happen.

Charles Wright (3/20/2008)
Yeah, much funnier than giving in to him by cutting him and letting him have what he's after for nothing. We wouldn't seem funny doing that huh?

Whats funnier letting go a good player that you apparently can't get anything for or just letting a good player sit on the bench cuz your mad you can't get anything for him.

Warden Erbbra (3/20/2008)
Charles Wright (3/20/2008)
Yeah, much funnier than giving in to him by cutting him and letting him have what he's after for nothing. We wouldn't seem funny doing that huh?

Whats funnier letting go a good player that you apparently can't get anything for or just letting a good player sit on the bench cuz your mad you can't get anything for him.

Who are you referring to? Us, the fans? We have no say on whether Hall goes, stays or sits. Only he and Coach Smitty can make that determination.

We do, however, have the choice of not liking him, whether he plays or not. He doesn't want to be here, after all.

Sun Tzu 7 (3/20/2008)

I think that's pretty much every team, or do you not pay attention when other teams do it?

I think that's pretty much every team, or do you not pay attention when other teams do it?

No I pay attention but I think... hey that's another team...

And we haven't been in a rebuilding mode like this.... ever... 

We went from being a team on the rise to a decimated team with cap issues in a short time... 

So this is still new to me... Sucking isn't but the downward spiral we're still on is....

capATL (3/20/2008)
I think that if he does not sign elsewhere, we simply expect him to participate in all team activities as per his contract. We start him and play him. During this time, we field offers if anyone is interested in him.

He will show up and give a great effort realizing that he is at the end of his contract. If he refuses to play his free agent market declines. If he plays poorly, his free agent market declines. If he lets his negative mouth run, his free agent market declines.

Next year we franchise him still looking to trade him. If we have to, we play him in 2009. I also would not be adverse to signing him to a reasonable contract at any step along the way.

Having him sit while we pay him might give us some oneupmanship satisfaction, but this will never happen. I makes more sense to play him.

The same way he distorts everything to try to save face, he will be able to distort to his own satisfaction to make this happen.

Excellent post.  :)

It's not like it would be the first time something like this happened... Just look at T.O.... except HE did it with a Superbowl team that did give him a new deal...  And then went out and got ANOTHER deal from a team...

So DeAngelo can still go out and play but still cause problems in other ways.... like dividing players in the locker room the way TO did... and it may not be an intentional thing...

Again,  you would have other players seeing how the Falcons now take care of their players and might want to get out of here...  It's not like we have been making a lot of player friendly moves the last few years...

There are reasons for that some of them needed to be done... I'm just saying it might look a little different from a player's perspective...

If he screws this trade up he should be cut. If we can't get anything in a trade then having him on the roster will be a distraction to our young rebuilding team. No reason to keep him have him sit and cause drama in the media. Cut the cancer out now if he screws this deal up.

I would never trust him enough to put him on the field with us. Sitting him this year and then Franchising him next year would just be completely stupid. Do we want another 2 years of his crap? Do you want our locker room divided in a re building process because of ONE player?

Cutting him is the best option for the team, wash our hands of him and show the younger players if you don't want to play here and do not have reasonable contract demands you will be cut.

Let some other team pay him $10 million a year. I'm glad our Front Office is not even considering giving him that kind of outrageous money to stay.

If he screws this trade up he should be cut. If we can't get anything in a trade then having him on the roster will be a distraction to our young rebuilding team. No reason to keep him have him sit and cause drama in the media. Cut the cancer out now if he screws this deal up.

I don't know if I would call him a cancer but I think keeping him on the team NOW.... would do more damage than good.

I don't think we can have it both ways... Not when he's listening to 790 and hearing every other caller bash the **** out of him.... or reading it in the paper... or seeing it here...

He's not going to be a Falcon...

That bridge has been burned to the ground... and not necessarily by DeAngelo...

swanlee (3/20/2008)

Could you knock it off with this "young rebuilding team" rhetoric.  Stop acting like Deangelo is a 32 year old past his prime corner still looking for a major payday.  All signs points to his current/former Falcon teammates liking him.  He's only a cancer in the boards eyes because those in the lockeroom with him most likely realize that football is a business as well.

YoungHeezy (3/20/2008)
swanlee (3/20/2008)

Could you knock it off with this "young rebuilding team" rhetoric. Stop acting like Deangelo is a 32 year old past his prime corner still looking for a major payday. All signs points to his current/former Falcon teammates liking him. He's only a cancer inthe boards eyes because those in the lockeroom withhim most likelyrealize that football is a business as well.

Hall is not old but between last years draft and this years draft nearly half of our entire team may be from the last two years. We have a brand new coaching staff and GM. Do you want Hall's antics to undermine them? Do you want young players that are brought in to have to deal with Hall on ESPN every day mouthing off about this team cause we have chosen to sit him down and or Franchise him next year?

Do you understand the crap we would go through if we benched him and he mouthed off to the media every 5 mins about how we were preventing him from show casing his skills to get the payday he wants?

Our team has been through **** the last year do you really want another Keyshawn or T.O. situation because of a freaking Cornerback that wants 10$ million a year?

It's not worth the trouble, cut him and move on if we can't trade him.

Yall are a trip. How in the **** do you know that DeAngelo is a cancer in the locker room? According to Keith Brooking he is not and is well liked by his teammates.  Stop talking out the side of your necks. Jeeze. :crazy: 

wd28 (3/20/2008)
Yall are a trip. How in the **** do you know that DeAngelo is a cancer in the locker room? According to Keith Brooking he is not and is well liked by his teammates.  Stop talking out the side of your necks. Jeeze. :crazy: 

Exactly. You can't please some people on this board.  If the players in the locker room like and respect him how can that not be good enough for us as fans?

Ok so what are we supposed to do with him if he screws up another trade? We sure as **** aren't going to pay him 10 million a year, why bench him and add just another distraction? Why let this go on any longer.

He has screwed up trades with 3 teams now if the Oakland trade fall through. If we cannot re coup anything for him there is no point in keeping him around he is walking away from the team next year no matter what anyway. Cut our loses and send him packing to see if any other chump team will pay him $10 million a year.

swanlee (3/20/2008)
Ok so what are we supposed to do with him if he screws up another trade? We sure as **** aren't going to pay him 10 million a year, why bench him and add just another distraction? Why let this go on any longer.

He has screwed up trades with 3 teams now if the Oakland trade fall through. If we cannot re coup anything for him there is no point in keeping him around he is walking away from the team next year no matter what anyway. Cut our loses and send him packing to see if any other chump team will pay him $10 million a year.

You're acting like you know he's going to be a distraction. When was he a distraction last year? He said that he wanted to stay a Falcon but the FO insisted on shopping him.  He's only a distraction to message boarders.  When his teammates say he's a great teammate I'm guessing you're one of the one's saying that "they're just saying it to say it".