Any chance Falcons swap #3 for 2 Cowboy picks?

PappyDawg

Bad as Jerry Jones has a hard-on for Darren McFadden, maybe we can take advantage and move up a little? Possibly throw in another later pick to balance it out?

Much as I'd love to see Jake Long wearing a bird on his hat next season, I believe the many needs of this team might make such a move palatable. Pick up an additional starter in addition to maybe Brohm?

Just wondering.

PappyDawg (3/20/2008)
Bad as Jerry Jones has a hard-on for Darren McFadden, maybe we can take advantage and move up a little? Possibly throw in another later pick to balance it out?

Much as I'd love to see Jake Long wearing a bird on his hat next season, I believe the many needs of this team might make such a move palatable. Pick up an additional starter in addition to maybe Brohm?

Just wondering.

Possible but doubtful. I think Barber is a beast and trading for McFadden may cause team chemistry issues.  We would also probably demand additional compensation.

Intriguing possibilites with having 22, 28, 34, 37 & 48. 

I like Marion Barber, but I have a problem with him. Barber was never the feature back in college or NFL. I can't help but wonder what the Minnesota coaches and the Cowboys coaches saw when they started Laurence Maroney and Julius Jones ahead of him. Other than that, Marion Barber reminds me a little bit of Walter Payton. I have never seen Walter Payton or Marion Barber tiptoe out of bounds to avoid getting hit. The RBs in the NFL today are pansies!

Having those five picks in the first two rounds is exactly what I was thinking, Celt. And choosing that low in the first would help get the Falcons out of that crazy high slot financially, allowing the team to afford choices at all five picks.

OT, DT, CB, QB, OT......immediate needs that could be addressed with that many choices.

Just thinking. It's not smart but I do it often.

PappyDawg (3/20/2008)
Having those five picks in the first two rounds is exactly what I was thinking, Celt. And choosing that low in the first would help get the Falcons out of that crazy high slot financially, allowing the team to afford choices at all five picks.

OT, DT, CB, QB, OT......immediate needs that could be addressed with that many choices.

Just thinking. It's not smart but I do it often.

LOL. Excellent post!

I no longer see the benefit in dealing down with Dallas for a pair of #1 picks. They have the #22 and #28. Simply dealing down from say #3 to #5 would get us the #35. #5 and #35 is night and day better than #22 and #28. For that matter, we'd be better off dealing down multiple times from #3 than just dealing once with Dallas. It sounds good in theory but with Barber no longer a player to target, it doesn't make any sense.

Not sure where you're getting the #5 and #35 numbers, ji. I was suggesting that Dallas give up both of their #1's for Atlanta's overall #3 pick, allowing them to choose McFadden and giving Atlanta an additional player in the round.

If the Kerney slot thing worked in at a #3 pick, then Atlanta would have 2 #1's, 3 #2's, and 2 #3's, in addition to six more picks on the second day.

How well could Smith stock his new team with that many picks?

PappyDawg (3/20/2008)
Not sure where you're getting the #5 and #35 numbers, ji. I was suggesting that Dallas give up both of their #1's for Atlanta's overall #3 pick, allowing them to choose McFadden and giving Atlanta an additional player in the round.

If the Kerney slot thing worked in at a #3 pick, then Atlanta would have 2 #1's, 3 #2's, and 2 #3's, in addition to six more picks on the second day.

How well could Smith stock his new team with that many picks?

He was just saying he'd rather us trade down from #3 to #5, which would also get us the #35 or so. The Dallas deal doesn't look as intriguing as it once did, in large due to the fact that MBIII isn't available.

PappyDawg (3/20/2008)

The Chiefs pick at #5 and #35. Using the NFL Draft Value Chart, this is the compensation the Chiefs would pay to move up to #3. So, my scenario has the Falcons picking at #5 and #35. Yours has them picking at #22 and #28. Which sounds better? Moreover, the Falcons could pick up further compensation if they dealt down again from #5 if so inclined.

In short, there are much better options available than dealing down 17 spots in exchange for only the #28 pick.

I like the idea of moving down to six and getting a second rounder along with a later pick. The Jets have more reason than any team in the top 10 to want to move up (For Chris Long or McFadden) and with Oakland (just signed both DTs to long-term deals) and Kansas City (dire need for quarterback and offensive line, could easily go with Clady) ahead of us, Glenn Dorsey would likely fall to #6.

thats exactly what i want us to do because if the rams dont take dorsey and we dont he will drop to #9 whilst jets want to trade up because both mcfadden and ghoulston could be gone and they are the 2 players they are really gunning for

plus in the 2nd we would have lots of ammo in the 2nd with 4 2nd rounders and 3 in 4 picks

Serge Storms (3/20/2008)
I like the idea of moving down to six and getting a second rounder along with a later pick. The Jets have more reason than any team in the top 10 to want to move up (For Chris Long or McFadden) and with Oakland (just signed both DTs to long-term deals) and Kansas City (dire need for quarterback and offensive line, could easily go with Clady) ahead of us, Glenn Dorsey would likely fall to #6.

This is a scenario I've been toying with for a while.  It makes sense for both teams.  The Jets get McFadden, we get Dorsey and their 2nd.  Sweet. 

Yeah but the question is would the Chiefs be as likely to trade there first two rounds picks to move up two spots. Keep in mind much like us they are a team with many holes to fill. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dallas on the other hand is one or two players away from being in the Super Bowl so they are more likely to give away the house to get that player they think will push them over the hump.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I would love to see us trade down to the #22 and #28 this will allow us to pick up to address key needs we have in the first two rounds and revamp a ##### poor run defense.

#22 Best Available CB

Someone always slide in these drafts hopefully either

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, TennesseeState

Height: 6-1. Weight: 184.

Projected 40 Time: 4.37.

Combine 40 Time: 4.28.

Benchx225: 17. Vertical 38.5.

Projected Round: Top 10 Pick.

-or-

Mike Jenkins, South Florida

Height: 5-10. Weight: 197.

Projected 40 Time: 4.43.

Combine 40 Time: 4.38.

Benchx225: 18. Vertical 34.

Projected Round: Top 15 Pick.

-or-

Trade pick away for more picks in the later rounds or 2009 picks.

#28 Carl Nicks, Nebraska

Height: 6-4. Weight: 341.

Projected 40 Time: 5.15.

Combine 40 Time: 5.12.

Arm: 35. Benchx225: 31.

Projected Round: 1.

Carl Nicks may have solidified his first-round status with a 5.12 40. Doesn't sound impressive until you look at his weight, long arms and bench press.  

#34 Joe Flacco, Delaware

Height: 6-6. Weight: 236.

Projected 40 Time: 4.86.

Combine 40 Time: 4.78.

Hand Size: 9 5/8.

Projected Round: 2-3.

No surprise that Joe Flacco missed his first two passes at the combine. There's no question he has the strongest arm in this draft class, but I've always been concerned with his accuracy and pocket awareness. Still, the upside is tremendous here.

#37 Jonathan Goff, Vanderbilt

Height: 6-2. Weight: 245.

Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

Combine 40 Time: 4.63.

Benchx225: 28. Vertical 31.5.

Projected Round: 2-3.

Jonathan Goff had the best 40 time of any inside linebacker. Goff could vault into the second round.

One of the top defensive players in the SEC, Goff had 93 tackles in 2006 and was the leader of the Commodores.

#48 Josh Barrett, SS, ArizonaState

Height: 6-1. Weight: 223.

Projected 40 Time: 4.49.

Combine 40 Time: 4.35.

Benchx225: 17. Vertical: .

Projected Round: 2.

In a weak strong safety class, Josh Barrett may have vaulted himself over Tom Zbikowski, Craig Steltz and Jamar Adams. A 223-pound safety with a 4.35 40? Amazing. Barrett was benched for a portion of the 2007 campaign, but he regained his job later in the year.

A monstrous safety, Barrett is one of the top defensive backs in the Pac 10. He started every game in 2006, notching three picks and 82 tackles.

#68 Best available OL

John Greco, Toledo

Height: 6-5. Weight: 305.

Projected 40 Time: 5.20.

Combine 40 Time: 5.31.

Pro Day 40 Time: 5.16.

Benchx225: 30.

Projected Round: 3.

John Greco improved on his 40 time from the combine, citing that his hamstring was sore.

Greco, who can play four positions on the offensive line, has been named first-team All-MAC two years in a row.

-or-

Kirk Barton, OhioState

Height: 6-5. Weight: 311.

Projected 40 Time: 5.08.

Combine 40 Time: Did not run.

Pro Day 40 Time: 4.95.

Arm: 33 1/4. Benchx225: 34.

Projected Round: 3-4.

Kirk Barton expelled all concerns about a lingering knee injury by looking very impressive in the drills at his Pro Day. He also ran a 4.95 and benched 225 pounds 34 times.

I just addressed the OL, QB, ILB, SS, DB in the first three rounds with some studs!!!!!!!!

All player profile courtesy of Walterfootball.com.

the old saying that the rumor that is most heard is the least likely to be done may very well be true for the Dallas deal.

And at some point we have to asked, if we continue to trade down and amass picks, how many picks are enough.  There is a critical mass re new talent for a team.  Yes we need new blood, but too many rookies can make it very tough on the new coaching staff.

That's the one way a Dallas trade makes sense. I am certain it would involve a couple of Cowboys coming over in trade to make up the difference in points. It's unlikely the Cowboys would give up a future first rounder. A package centered upon Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter would make a lot of sense for both sides.