Could Redman shine with a revamped O-line and power running game?

kamdensdad

In the games he played last year he wasn't terrible, 59.7% completion rate 10 TD's 5 Int's, and that was after a 3 yr hiatus. That way we could focus on O-line and key defensive positions with all of our first and second round picks. I would love to see this on day one:

1) Glenn Dorsey

2a) Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College, Carl Nicks OT Nebraska, Sam Baker OT USC

2b) Jared Mayo MLB  Tennessee

2c) Chilo Rachal OG USC

3) Eddie Royal  WR VaTech

Just an idea, but flame away.

kamdensdad (3/20/2008)
In the games he played last year he wasn't terrible, 59.7% completion rate 10 TD's 5 Int's, and that was after a 3 yr hiatus. That way we could focus on O-line and key defensive positions with all of our first and second round picks. I would love to see this on day one:

1) Glenn Dorsey

2c) Chilo Rachal OG USC

He threw more touchdowns than Harrington in only 5 games i like this guy. Just think he will have more chemistry with the recievers.

I think with an upgrade at OL, with Turner/Norwood/Ovie and White/Robinson/Jenkins, that Redman could be very solid. Plus a coaching staff that is fully dedicated to the team will help as well. Im really hoping Redman can pull a Anderson(Browns). Then we may be able to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd next season. I liked Redman in the 4 games he started for us, then I did the 4 games Schaub started for us. Redman was just a victim of injuries.

Redman can do all that and more. It's hard to knock his game, it's easier to knock him being out of the game for a few years. Not only were these stats from the Tampa game (Thanks Petrino, and Jackson for leaving midweek for an interview), but the NO game, when Petrino's game calling made no sense. I feel very good he will put up even better stats, he made all the WR's and Crump look great for the first time all year. The Arizona game, when was the last time we had a gunslinging contest, short of Vick in that Pitt and Cinci game in 06. I like Redman enough to think we don't have to draft a QB this year, unless we run across a bargain.

And again, I was talking him up during preseason, even though I thought before I saw him play he was some training camp cut bait.

That falcon GM, owner,  and coaches wouldn't know a football player if he walked up and smacked em.  Redman has potential and so does Shockley.  But what do they do,  RESIGN JOEY HARRINGTON. LOL LOL LOL LOL  Choices like this is why the falcons are the joke of the nfl.

He caught me by surprise, to be completely honest.  I thought he was only brought in for depth and would only see the field to possibly hold the ball on field goals and PATs.

It would be awesome if he has a comeback player of the year type of season, leading us to 8-8 or better... but I'm not counting on it, sadly. :(

sporkdevil (3/20/2008)
Redman can do all that and more. It's hard to knock his game, it's easier to knock him being out of the game for a few years. Not only were these stats from the Tampa game (Thanks Petrino, and Jackson for leaving midweek for an interview), but the NO game, when Petrino's game calling made no sense. I feel very good he will put up even better stats, he made all the WR's and Crump look great for the first time all year. The Arizona game, when was the last time we had a gunslinging contest, short of Vick in that Pitt and Cinci game in 06. I like Redman enough to think we don't have to draft a QB this year, unless we run across a bargain.

And again, I was talking him up during preseason, even though I thought before I saw him play he was some training camp cut bait.

I agree with you...but i still think we should draft a QB with one of our 3 2nd rounders. But I really dont think we need to waste our 1st or even trade up to get a solid QB for the future. If Redman stays healthy, he will be solid for a year or 2, while our future QB can adjust to the NFL. I would like to take a slow approach at grooming our franchise QB. TD may have that planned as well, since Brady was groomed slowly. Get the rest of the team upgraded and it will make our QB have an easier time when he gets the start. Vick was thrown to the wolves and was expected to carry the team on his own. But it also didnt help that he liked fighting dogs and smoking weed.....but thats a different story.

darthfalconfan (3/20/2008)
I think with an upgrade at OL, with Turner/Norwood/Ovie and White/Robinson/Jenkins, that Redman could be very solid. Plus a coaching staff that is fully dedicated to the team will help as well. Im really hoping Redman can pull a Anderson(Browns). Then we may be able to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd next season. I liked Redman in the 4 games he started for us, then I did the 4 games Schaub started for us. Redman was just a victim of injuries.

completely agree.. i liked a lot of what redman did behind that poor line last year..

tom Baldwin (3/20/2008)
That falcon GM, owner,  and coaches wouldn't know a football player if he walked up and smacked em.  Redman has potential and so does Shockley.  But what do they do,  RESIGN JOEY HARRINGTON. LOL LOL LOL LOL  Choices like this is why the falcons are the joke of the nfl.

We need 4 QB's for training camp and preseason. We need 3 for the season. My guess is Redman will be the starter and the other 3 will compete for 2nd and 3rd. Whoever we draft will automatically be at least the 3rd string. So it really come down to Joey and DJ battling for one of the 3 spots.

Carter (3/20/2008)
He caught me by surprise, to be completely honest. I thought he was only brought in for depth and would only see the field to possibly hold the ball on field goals and PATs.

It would be awesome if he has a comeback player of the year type of season, leading us to 8-8 or better... but I'm not counting on it, sadly. :(

i think we draft a qb and joey h and dj fight it out for the backup spot. I think joey h has a big advantage there just because he has been in this system before..

if you are talkin' spending the higher level picks on people who

are not QBs then I'm with ya. if yer thinkin' NO QB to be taken

in the draft, re-think yo'self. The quarterback situation is

simple and is the same as last year: any QB who goes

to camp has a chance to be the opening day starter.

Among those sho go to camp this summer, there should be

at least one we don't know now, a mid or late round choice

OR an UNdrafted rookie free agent. I'm hoping that

FLACCO fellow is still available after the 2nd

round. If so, there is a real steal.

you think I'm crazy? Just fan who admits to

not bein' an expert. If I were an expert

they would name a game after me like

they did with MADDEN

I think Redman may be a pleasant surprise. He showed flashes last season despite all that was going on with our organization and also for one of the few times in his career he is healthy. I think he will be a respectable QB in this league.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

tom Baldwin (3/20/2008)

Mr. Baldwin, they resign Harrington for the backup position and resigned Redman as the starter.  Btw, would you rather have a 0 playing time QB as your backup or would you have a former-starter with years of experience as your backup?

I have been admitting how bad I hated Redman during last preseason when he looked like a jitter bug in the pocket, but I ate crow and admitted that he played well despite the coaching situation, poor o-line, and playing musical QBs with two other guys. 

I'm optimistic about Redman and this season will be a great time to see what he can do with a full training camp and ota as first string to get him ready for the season.

Same Ol Falcons (3/20/2008)
Redman was good College QB and an injured Pro - I really think he can be good in the NFL but he will have some learning to do

I'd like for Redman to remain the starter until whoever we draft can PROVE that they're starting material.

Redman wasn't out of the league because of bad play, but a bad back. When he's healthy, he's pretty **** good.

kamdensdad (3/20/2008)

1) Glenn Dorsey

2c) Chilo Rachal OG USC

I think Redman will do very well with an improved O-Line and a stronger running attack. Maybe even good enough to keep any QB we draft on the bench for more than one season. I live in Baltimore and the Ravens fans at work all say they would LOVE to have him back. The local media was high on him as well until he got injured. Neither the fans or the media are NFL personnel guys, but everyone was sad to see him go.

I like your draft. I would rather see another position other than WR at the 3rd pick, but I would be OK with your picks.

Absolute (3/20/2008)
Not sure, but after the way he finished behind the line we had, I am willing to wait and see. I was always a fan of the thinking that we keep him around to stopgap the job until our drafted QB had time to learn the offense and get in as the starter.

My thoughts exactly

Statick (3/20/2008)
Same Ol Falcons (3/20/2008)
Redman was good College QB and an injured Pro - I really think he can be good in the NFL but he will have some learning to do

I'd like for Redman to remain the starter until whoever we draft can PROVE that they're starting material.

Redman wasn't out of the league because of bad play, but a bad back. When he's healthy, he's pretty **** good.

Amen.  Smith isn't going to start a rookie QB until he's ready.  Smith and the Falcons front office have said this repeatedly. 

For the record, Redman had an incredible college career. 

As a senior in 1999, Redman started every game and completed 317 of 489 passes for 3,647 yards with 29 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He became the first quarterback in Division I-A history to complete more than 1,000 passes in a career, and he matched the I-A record for most seasons (three) with at least 3,000 passing yards. Redman received the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award (named for the former University of Louisville and Baltimore Colts star), which is presented each year to the nation's top senior quarterback.

Redman started 10 of 11 regular-season games as a junior and established Conference USA and Louisville season records for attempts (473), completions (309), yards (4,042) and touchdowns (29) despite missing a game because of a knee injury. His 404.2 yards-per-game average was the fifth highest in I-A history. On Nov. 14, 1998, Redman torched East Carolina by completing 44 of 56 passes (with six touchdown passes) for 592 yards -- the 10th-best single-game yardage total of all time.

As a sophomore in 1997, Redman started all 11 games and shattered single-season school passing marks in attempts (445), completions (261), yards (3,079) and total offense (2,958).

Redman played in 10 games as a redshirt freshman in 1996, starting the final five, and earned Conference USA all-freshman honors after he threw for more than 1,700 yards. In his first legitimate college action, coming off the bench to replace injured starter Jason Payne, Redman amassed 325 yards and three touchdowns in Louisville's come-from-behind win at Michigan State.

maybe i missed something or i dont know what?but if he started too kick some ##### why would we trade him for a unprovin pick??:crazy: