What if the Hall trade now includes discussion about swapping first round picks

halsey

halsey (3/19/2008)
I'm just saying. Maybe the trade would look something like this:

Raiders get: Hall and the #3 pick

Falcons get: 2nd rounder, 6th rounder and a 2009 3rd rounder

I'm just throwing it out there, people!

ok you had me until that #3 pick. we would be getting the 2nd and 6th for hall already, so we would bascially be trading the #3 pick for a 2009 3rd rounder...

halsey (3/19/2008)
Oh yeah, I forgot to include the 4th pick with the Falcons. I figuired it was obvious. Hope that wasn't confusing.

I knew what you were going for, but I still think they'd need to add some more.  Most likely it would be an earlier pick in the 2009 draft, because they don't have many picks in this year's draft.

TO move down one spot in the draft, without really giving anything up cause we aren't taking McFadden?.....Yes, I would accept their 4th this year, and a 3rd next year. And by accept, I mean have multiple orgasms about that possibility.

We'd essentially be getting a 3rd and 4th rounder for the privilege of picking the guy we wanted for less money.

halsey (3/19/2008)

Falcons get: 4th pick, 2nd rounder, 6th rounder and a 2009 3rd rounder

Raiders would have to sweeten the pot - A LOT!!!!  No reason for Falcons to move down - at all......Falcons have leverage because, if they choose, they could "shop" this pick to Jets or Cowboys - to just "throw it in" for a 3rd round pick in 2009?

tell me why we would do that Halsey? 

If Raiders want the #3 pick.......then we need much more.....something like this:

Falcons trade DeAngelo Hall and #3 overall pick

Raiders trade #4 overall pick, 2nd rounder(#34), 4th rounder and Michael Huff......Plus Falcons get to know who you are picking at #3 (not trading it if they want Dorsey or Jake Long).........

right now supposedly its D-Hall for 2nd(#34) and 6th round pick.....for moving up one spot to #3 and securing McFadden - we improve the 6th to a 4th and get a potential FS/CB starter in Michael Huff.......that might be enough....

g-dawg (3/19/2008)
halsey (3/19/2008)

Falcons get: 4th pick, 2nd rounder, 6th rounder and a 2009 3rd rounder

Raiders would have to sweeten the pot - A LOT!!!!  No reason for Falcons to move down - at all......Falcons have leverage because, if they choose, they could "shop" this pick to Jets or Cowboys - to just "throw it in" for a 3rd round pick in 2009?

tell me why we would do that Halsey? 

If Raiders want the #3 pick.......then we need much more.....something like this:

Falcons trade DeAngelo Hall and #3 overall pick

Raiders trade #4 overall pick, 2nd rounder(#34), 4th rounder and Michael Huff......Plus Falcons get to know who you are picking at #3 (not trading it if they want Dorsey or Jake Long).........

right now supposedly its D-Hall for 2nd(#34) and 6th round pick.....for moving up one spot to #3 and securing McFadden - we improve the 6th to a 4th and get a potential FS/CB starter in Michael Huff.......that might be enough....

I was just about to write this same thing.  Well written and right on.

cyofish (3/19/2008)
Why???? That makes no sense at all.

Raiders can still get McFadden in the 4th since Falcons isn't going to sign him. Why would the raiders ever give up more draft picks to move up one spot to draft a player they could get without the swap?

Because very simply other teams want McFadden, and I don't think we would have a problem trading down with the Jets or Dallas if they're willing to make it worth our while.

cyofish (3/19/2008)

Raiders can still get McFadden in the 4th since Falcons isn't going to sign him. Why would the raiders ever give up more draft picks to move up one spot to draft a player they couldget without the swap?

What he said. It makes no **** sense to move up 1 spot. Especially when it costs a crap load, I can't even imagine Al Davis being that crazy.

rcky_mtn_falcon (3/19/2008)
cyofish (3/19/2008)

Raiders can still get McFadden in the 4th since Falcons isn't going to sign him. Why would the raiders ever give up more draft picks to move up one spot to draft a player they couldget without the swap?

Because very simply other teams want McFadden, and I don't think we would have a problem trading down with the Jets or Dallas if they're willing to make it worth our while.

If they trade up 1 spot a month ahead of time, can't the Jets or the Cowboys just trade up to... oh... I don't know.... number 2 overall? I don't see these teams trading all the way up to 3, but not being smart enough or willing enough to go up one more spot.

If we trade spots with Oakland, we are trading away a huge edge. If we were to do that, I would expect a very good player in return. I am thinking Morrison or Huff.

I would do this trade:

Oakland gets Hall and the #3 pick in this draft.

ATL gets the #4, #34, Mike Huff and a third rounder next year.

I expect Jake Long to be drafted by either Miami or STL, that would leave us with Dorsey, Ellis, Ryan, or Gholston.

sporkdevil (3/19/2008)
rcky_mtn_falcon (3/19/2008)
cyofish (3/19/2008)

If they trade up 1 spot a month ahead of time, can't the Jets or the Cowboys just trade up to... oh... I don't know.... number 2 overall? I don't see these teams trading all the way up to 3, but not being smart enough or willing enough to go up one more spot.

I didn't say it was likely, and frankly the idea that we would trade that pick before the draft is ridiculous. I was just answering someone elses question, why the Raiders might want to trade up. Crazy as Davis would have to be to try and do it this early.

If it's my call, I'm sitting on that pick until there's about 20 seconds remaining on the clock, and if I haven't got a good enough offer to justify trading down I pull the trigger on my top rated prospect still on the board.