Long no Gallery

jgentry162

Long won't be a bust like Gallary. Robert Gallary had unusually short arms for his size and it has proved to be his down fall at the next level. The defensive lineman got that extra half of a step before Gallary could get a hold of him and it was a half step that killed his ability to get a hold of the DE before he made his move.:cool:

That was my understanding of why Gallery busted. Jake Long seems to have everything you would need in a tackle. People are using Gallery as an excuse if they don't want an OT, when we could just as easily look at Thomas from last year, and see that an improved Oline brought the Browns almost into the playoffs.

I think th ebig thing people have aginst long is that every expert is saying hes gonna be a RT in the nfl or hes ognna be a better RT than LT.

I would like long but I doubt he will be there. I kinda woulkd rather have dorsey at 3 because we can easily get a tackle in the 2nd that will be just as good.

No one thinks Jake Long is going to be a bust....most just don't think he's going to be the kind of elite pass protecting LT that is worthy of a top 3 pick, if there are other options on the board...

And a little FYI...while it's true that we don't have a legitimate LT on our team right now, Weiner is decent at playing it...and our biggest problems in pass protection and run blocking weren't the edges...it was right up the gut...our C and G's couldn't do jack to maintain the pocket, or push the LOS. People talk about fixing the oline to really improve this team, and while that is true, adding Jake Long doesn't magically fix the interior issues, even if he was a Joe Thomas/Orlando Pace/ Walter Jones caliber LT(which he absolutely is not, and no one of any consequence is even insinuating he is). Replacing Forney and McClure would result in a far more tangible gain to the Oline than simply plugging in Jake Long.

Mike Vick (3/19/2008)
Robert Gallery doesn t have short arms. He has nearly an 11foot wingspan. Gallery was acclaimed for his foot work like Long. Sorry but you have to be more than technical in the league. J.Long=R.Gallery

Um, you do know that an 11 foot wingspan is impossible right? Unless he drags his knuckles on the ground, you have no idea what is going on.

HA! I'm looking for some Gallery info, and this guy says he had no weaknesses, a true left tackle, can step in and start anywhere. I might look for a different site...

http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofile...bertgallery.htm

sporkdevil (3/19/2008)
That was my understanding of why Gallery busted. Jake Long seems to have everything you would need in a tackle. People are using Gallery as an excuse if they don't want an OT, when we could just as easily look at Thomas from last year, and see that an improved Oline brought the Browns almost into the playoffs.

The browns have been building that line for years.It isnt one guy.

bigduke633 (3/19/2008)
sporkdevil (3/19/2008)

The browns have been building that line for years.It isnt one guy.

While a line isnt one guy...the 'building' they were in the process of doing was worthless.

Kevin Shaffer and Bentley...neither really helped solidify anything. 

Because those were the two major additions in the 2006 season...and I dont think either one is the reason for their improved success.