Trade down with Jets

JETS EYEBALLING McFADDEN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2008, 11:22 a.m.

With the sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft, the New York Jets might draft running back Darren McFadden.  If, of course, McFadden is still on the board.

Whether the Jets would pull the trigger on the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up will surely be influenced at least in part by the outcome of a visit on Monday with McFadden. 

According to Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets flew a contingent of representatives to Fayetteville, Arkansas to meet on Monday with McFadden.

The Jets arguably have a need at the tailback position, given that Thomas Jones didn t perform for the Jets in 2007 the way that he d run for the Bears before that.

We think that the Jets would have to trade up to get McFadden, most likely to the No. 3 spot with the Falcons.  Because if a running back who runs a 4.33 is on the board when the Oakland Raiders pick at No. 4, the Raiders most likely will pounce.

We could then take Ryan Clady and pick up another 2nd rounder!

left_corner_player_news.gif
right_corner_player_news.gifpixel.gif
pixel.gifpixel.gifSI.com's Jim Trotter was told "in passing" by a Raiders employee last year that owner Al Davis is "infatuated" with Darren McFadden.

Of Oakland potentially taking McFadden No. 4 overall, a source familiar with the Raiders' situation said he could "definitely see that happening." The Raiders' offseason investments on defense seemingly make it a bit more likely that they'll use their first-round pick on an offensive player.
Source: SI.com

Further proof that if someone wants McFadden they will have to trade with us.

it would cost the jets more then just a second to move up. check the draft value chart, they would have to give up...

either

first round pick

second round pick

fourth round pick

or

first round pick

second round pick

fifth round pick

sixth round pick

seventh round pick

i doubt they trade up.

joremari (3/19/2008)
it would cost the jets more then just a second to move up. check the draft value chart, they would have to give up...

either

first round pick

second round pick

fourth round pick

or

first round pick

second round pick

fifth round pick

sixth round pick

seventh round pick

i doubt they trade up.

The draft value chart is outdated due to the amount of money guranteed to top 10 picks.

Jeremy Jones (3/19/2008)
bigduke633 (3/19/2008)
Nobody has traded into the top 5 from outside the top 5 in 9 years.

Nobody has wasted as much in free agency as the Jets and Raiders ever.

exactly, do you really think they will want to spend MORE money then they have to?

We are drafting 3rd. no one is going to trade with us. it costs alot of picks to move up into a top 3 pick.

clownorg (3/19/2008)
I really want Jake long at #3, but If TD can Fleece the Jets into thier #6 & Next years 2nd. or thier #6 and Thier 2nd Rounder. I'd be fine with it.

We have too many holes to fill, the more shots at top level talnet the better

by giving up a number 3 pick for only the sixth round pick and a second round pick (which we have an abundance of anyways) you are shortchanging yourself either a fourth round pick or a 5th, 6th, and 7th. we need all the value we can get for our picks.

joremari (3/19/2008)

either

first round pick

second round pick

fourth round pick

or

first round pick

second round pick

fifth round pick

sixth round pick

seventh round pick

i doubt they trade up.

Ha. If TD didn't take the Jets high 2nd to move up three spots, I'd be pissed off. Screw the point chart, I hope TD wouldn't be stupid enough to reject having the 6, 34, 36, 37, and 48! We would definately get one of the following players... My order... J Long, Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Ryan Clady, or Matt Ryan. That would be amazing. Three high picks in the 2nd and a mid round 2nd! lol.. And a top 6 pick. We could have the most legendary draft ever.

joremari (3/19/2008)
clownorg (3/19/2008)
I really want Jake long at #3, but If TD can Fleece the Jets into thier #6 & Next years 2nd. or thier #6 and Thier 2nd Rounder. I'd be fine with it.

We have too many holes to fill, the more shots at top level talnet the better

by giving up a number 3 pick for only the sixth round pick and a second round pick (which we have an abundance of anyways) you are shortchanging yourself either a fourth round pick or a 5th, 6th, and 7th. we need all the value we can get for our picks.

Have them throw in Dwayne Robertson.. I'd be fine.

Consider This:

Even if the Jets were to trade picks for us, we pick in the #6 spot. Let's say that Ryan and McFadden are taken before we pick, that still leaves us with a shot at one of the four following players:

J. Long - C. Long - G. Dorsey - S. Ellis  (Even if the two Longs are gone, we can still get an awesome DT in either Ellis or Dorsey).  If we're targeting a DT, we can more than likely move down three picks and still get one of the two elite DT's in this draft...