Is Ryan better than YKW

KingPickles

This is actually a good point.

People are SOOO ready to get a QB they aren't realizing what the "next guy" is going to have to live up to.

No matter what you say about Vick he was still talented enough to take a not so talented team to the playoffs and beat Brett Farve in Green Bay.

Will Ryan be able to do that by his 4th year without talent around him?  That's what he will be compared to.

Khufu (3/19/2008)
Vick was just electric but it may be a stretch to say he was the "best". The "best" gets you to the big game and we always fell short. But let me tell it, I will always blame the O-Line though. So maybe he was? But we need a "Manning" or "Brady" type guy. Is Ryan it? I think so.

I'm glad I read your entire post...lol. I think if we'd have given more than a passing glance at our O-Line, we'd have done more with YKW. Without rehashing that, Ryan IMHO would not make us forget Billy Joe Tolliver let alone Vick.

What i want to know is if we do draft Ryan and he struggles will he get bashed by the same people who used to bang on Vick all of the time. I wonder if he will get the 'he has no supporting cast' argument that Vick fans used to preach all of the time.

On the flipside, I wonder if the Vick fans will be harder on Ryan?

falkonX7 (3/19/2008)
What i want to know is if we do draft Ryan and he struggles will he get bashed by the same people who used to bang on Vick all of the time. I wonder if he will get the 'he has no supporting cast' argument that Vick fans used to preach all of the time.

On the flipside, I wonder if the Vick fans will be harder on Ryan?

As a QB you're going to get some heavy criticism...

In ATLANTA... especially considering the "mixed" emotions Vick brought out...  you will get unbelieveable criticism. 

People will HATE him because he's not Vick.  Just like people loved/hated Vick for no real apparent reason Ryan will get the same thing.

The only way he would be able to win those people over is with his play and I don't think he'll be good enough to do that for several years... because we have to put a team around him...  Ryan isn't puting the Falcons on his back and taking us to the promised land anytime soon... if ever...

MrPickles (3/19/2008)
Well we know what roddy can do and what Turner is paid to do. If we mess up these 4 picks in the first 45 than I will be convinced that Blank needs to sell this team

Well, the WR issue is another can of worms...

Some people will say that Vick is the reason why our WRs were never worth anything...

But if Turner lives up to the hype he'll be better than any RB that Vick had the pleasure of taking a snap with...

I'd have a very tough time labelling Vick as the best QB in this team's history. For those of us who watched Bart play,  there is no comparison. Vick is undoubtedly the most exciting player in our history, but that has nothing to do with his QBing ablity.

Personally, I'm not sold at all on the idea that Vick will never be in uniform for us again. In fact, I'm amazed that people are so gullible and naive as to think that someone with an investment like the one Blank made in this franchise wouldn't do what sells tickets, merchandise and TV coverage when it comes down to it.

If we don't draft a QB with our #1 pick this year, I think the likelihood of a reconciliation increases dramatically. People like Blank, despite his clean-cut public personna, do not get where they are by running away from obvious financial opportunities...

I was re-watching some highligh videos that MomaK (hope that person is still around) made and I had to say that it made me miss YKW.  He was really special at times - and, at the time, he was good for the Falcons and the NFL.  It made me remember how confident I was at times, thinking in years past that we were only a couple players away from winning a super bowl.

But I also still remember all those 3rd and short or 3rd and long plays where the last thing I wanted YKW to do was to try and throw the ball - because I knew somewhere deep down that we had a much better chance of getting that first down with YKW running than throwing.  I also remember all those redzone plays where once again that last thing I wanted YKW to do was to throw the ball.  I'm sure that my neighbors thought I was going crazy when I yelled at Knapp to just run the ball - because I knew if YKW tried to throw the ball, often enough it would become a sack and a fumble or an interception.  And as much as I miss YKW and believed he was a really special player, I really don't think those are the kind of thoughts you want to have about your QB. 

But to answer your question - regardless how exciting and special our previous QB was - I am ready for a more prototypical QB, whether it be Redman, Ryan, Henne, Brohm, Flacco.  Someone that I don't mind throwing on 3rd down to get us that first down.

rmyarring (3/19/2008)
I was re-watching some highligh videos that MomaK (hope that person is still around) made and I had to say that it made me miss YKW.  He was really special at times - and, at the time, he was good for the Falcons and the NFL.  It made me remember how confident I was at times, thinking in years past that we were only a couple players away from winning a super bowl.

But I also still remember all those 3rd and short or 3rd and long plays where the last thing I wanted YKW to do was to try and throw the ball - because I knew somewhere deep down that we had a much better chance of getting that first down with YKW running than throwing.  I also remember all those redzone plays where once again that last thing I wanted YKW to do was to throw the ball.  I'm sure that my neighbors thought I was going crazy when I yelled at Knapp to just run the ball - because I knew if YKW tried to throw the ball, often enough it would become a sack and a fumble or an interception.  And as much as I miss YKW and believed he was a really special player, I really don't think those are the kind of thoughts you want to have about your QB. 

But to answer your question - regardless how exciting and special our previous QB was - I am ready for a more prototypical QB, whether it be Redman, Ryan, Henne, Brohm, Flacco.  Someone that I don't mind throwing on 3rd down to get us that first down.

Well put. When all is said and done, and the flash goes away, the prototypical QBs are the ones who win championships.

thanat0s (3/19/2008)
I'd have a very tough time labelling Vick as the best QB in this team's history. For those of us who watched Bart play, there is no comparison. Vick is undoubtedly the most exciting player in our history, but that has nothing to do with his QBing ablity.

Personally, I'm not sold at all on the idea that Vick will never be in uniform for us again. In fact, I'm amazed that people are so gullible and naive as to think that someone with an investment like the one Blank made in this franchise wouldn't do what sells tickets, merchandise and TV coverage when it comes down to it.

If we don't draft a QB with our #1 pick this year, I think the likelihood of a reconciliation increases dramatically. People like Blank, despite his clean-cut public personna, do not get where they are by running away from obvious financial opportunities...

That is the elephant in the room. I have had that feeling for awhile.

Legendary Bad Guy (3/19/2008)
Vick was just electric but it may be a stretch to say he was the "best". The "best" gets you to the big game and we always fell short. But let me tell it, I will always blame the O-Line though. So maybe he was. But we need a "Manning" or "Brady" type guy. Is Ryan it? I think so.

Billy Joe Tolliver would be better than Vick. At least he could play for a actual team instead of the penal league. **** fire Ryan Leaf, the biggest bust of all time, would be better than Vick will be this year.

rmyarring (3/19/2008)

yeah because vick threw so many interceptions hah?

popcornplaya (3/23/2008)
The best in Falcons history? You're an idiot.

And yes, Matt Ryan is better than him right now. He's eligible to play NFL football.

yes, actually he's quite easily the best qb in falcons history both statistically and win pct wise.

how obvious of an agenda could you ossibly have? your pathetic.

HISMAJESTY2008 (3/23/2008)
popcornplaya (3/23/2008)

And yes, Matt Ryan is better than him right now. He's eligible to play NFL football.

yes, actually he's quite easily the best qb in falcons history both statistically and win pct wise.

Funny, when someone cites his statistics it's not that impressive.  I always thought football, at any level was a team game.  He didn't win those games alone.  I'd take Chris Chandler over Vick, he did actually get us to a Super Bowl, since we're talking about what they've done as far as wins and losses.  But of all of our quarterbacks, give me Steve Bartkowski.  He had a good carrer on some very bad teams.

popcornplaya (3/23/2008)
HISMAJESTY2008 (3/23/2008)
popcornplaya (3/23/2008)

Funny, when someone cites his statistics it's not that impressive.  I always thought football, at any level was a team game.  He didn't win those games alone.  I'd take Chris Chandler over Vick, he did actually get us to a Super Bowl, since we're talking about what they've done as far as wins and losses.  But of all of our quarterbacks, give me Steve Bartkowski.  He had a good carrer on some very bad teams.

WOW, IF YOU DONT REALIZE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VICK AND CHANDLER, AND  THE DIFFERENCE BETWENTHE INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES IT TOOK FOR THEM TO WIN GAMES, YOU AR YET ANOTHER ONE, OF MANY, WHO LOVESTO TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL, BUT JUST DOESNT KNOW HIS ##### FROM HIS ELBOW.

OH, AND AS FAR AS YOUR REASOON FOR LIKING BARTKOWSKI, WHICH WAS WINNING GAMES AND HAVING A PRETTY GOOD CAREER DESPITE BEING ON BAD TEAMS, DOESNT THAT SOUND EXACTLY LIKE THE SITUATION VICK HAD? ARE YOU SUCH A HATER THAT IT HAS MADE YOU THAT BLIND?

Sun Tzu 7 (3/19/2008)
This is actually a good point.

People are SOOO ready to get a QB they aren't realizing what the "next guy" is going to have to live up to.

No matter what you say about Vick he was still talented enough to take a not so talented team to the playoffs and beat Brett Farve in Green Bay.

Will Ryan be able to do that by his 4th year without talent around him?  That's what he will be compared to.

If we end up drafting Ryan, I'm sure he'll have more than enough "talent" around him by his 4th year.