DHall return value from the Raiders,

I think those of us that seem dissatisfied with the proposed compensation we will recieve if/when the deal with JOkeland goes down.  While the chances of a big-time player coming back our way in the deal, I think the 2nd and 6th round picks can be seen as the groundwork for the structure of what the compensation will look like.  Remeber last year when the Schaubby rumors started, everyone thought we'd get a first, then it was reported we were getting a second from Houston, then a second and a conditional pic this year, and eventually the deal wound up as a pair of 2nd rounders.  I could definately see this deal taking on a similar evolution, with the final deal settling at something like this:

Atlanta trades the rights to CB Deangelo Hall to Oakland for 2008 2nd rounder (#34 overall), 2008 6th rounder and a conditional pick in 2009 based on Deangelo's perfromance in the '08 season. 

Since Chris Mortenson from ESPN confirmed that the two teams are still negotiating compensation terms, I imagine TD is trying to recieve as much 'value' as he can in his first major FO move.  Thats just my humble opinion, though, feel free to critique it if you like.  :cool:

Lord Dark Helmet (3/19/2008)
Dem Birds Can Fly (3/19/2008)
I didn't even think about it, but we got more out of Schaub, a backup, then we are "expecting" to get out of a two time pro-bowl cornerback. ...Maybe McKay should be making the deals.

I think most GM's put more value on a franchise QB than an undersized overrated CB.

5'10" 190 is undersized? Since when?

I didn't even think about it, but we got more out of Schaub, a backup, then we are "expecting" to get out of a two time pro-bowl cornerback. ...Maybe McKay should be making the deals.

I think most GM's put more value on a franchise QB than an undersized overrated CB.

Not even close to undersized, and he plays even bigger than he is. I'll play along on the overrated, he is slightly. But guess who else was, Matt Schaub. Rich McKay apparently knew this as well. ****, even Petrino knew that.

Not even close to undersized, and he plays even bigger than he is. I'll play along on the overrated, he is slightly. But guess who else was, Matt Schaub. Rich McKay apparently knew this as well. ****, even Petrino knew that.

I still don't know what to think about Schaub. He had an 87.2 passer rating and completed 66% of his passes last season. But he only had 9 TD's and 9 INT's. If he doesn't pan out this year I will believe we robbed the Texans.

I still don't know what to think about Schaub. He had an 87.2 passer rating and completed 66% of his passes last season. But he only had 9 TD's and 9 INT's. If he doesn't pan out this year I will believe we robbed the Texans.

Houston had a sorry OL just like we did. Schaub didn't have a chance. We'll see once they find some talent.

He is doing what I said he would: Looking, behind that line, just like Carr.

A franchise QB has much, much more value than a top CB. easily twice the value.

A team will pay more for a guy they feel could be their franchise qb than a cornerback..

SacFalcFan (3/19/2008)

A team will pay more for a guy they feel could be their franchise qb than a cornerback..

Easily. And don't forget that if Hall had kept demanding a trade and forced it, we could have done much worse than what we got. In essence the Falcons had to strike while the fire was hot. Did we get enough? Only time will tell but I think in light of the negativity surrounding Hall despite his talent.....we may have.

Man that comment is really stupid. Hall is 5 10 210 pounds perfect for any scheme

Schaub didn't have the concerns related to DHall.  Schaub wasn't demanding the highest salary of any QB ever to sign with another team.  If Schaub would've demanded the highest salary in the league at his position, nobody would've given us any compensation what so ever for him.  Look at this from Oakland's side.  They gave the largest contract ever, a 2nd round pick, and a 6th round pick to DHall.  That's a LOT more than what Houston gave up for Schaub.  The difference is more of Oakland's went into DHall's pocket where as more of Houston's went into the Falcon's.

pzummo (3/19/2008)
Schaub didn't have the concerns related to DHall. Schaub wasn't demanding the highest salary of any QB ever to sign with another team. If Schaub would've demanded the highest salary in the league at his position, nobody would've given us any compensation what so ever for him. Look at this from Oakland's side. They gave the largest contract ever, a 2ndround pick, and a 6th round pick to DHall. That's a LOT more than what Houston gave up for Schaub. The difference is more of Oakland's went into DHall's pocket where as more of Houston's went into the Falcon's.

Good post.

Phillip Buchanan, a nothing player at corner, was worth a second and third round pick in trade and his attitude was much worse than Hall's. The trade value we are getting for Hall is a disappointing result based on recent NFL trade history. It's that simple. What is clear is that the Falcons valued having that cap space flexibility more than they did getting fair market value. Given the way New England has operated for years, that's the understandable part of this. The cap is the star of that organization, not any single player. If we had to give away a player a bit to make that happen, we can all learn to get used to that philosophy as it's a good one.