Would anyone support this QB trade...

Brian

The reason I am for trading to secure a QB is because we need one now and we need a true franchise QB who will lead the Falcons for the next 10-15 years. With that said, I also am not enamored with any of the QB's in this year's draft.

Brohm is good, but he won't be able to throw a true deep ball to Laurent or Roddy.

Ryan is good, but he throws a lot of interceptions, and I'm not sold on him being a great NFL QB.

The rest - Henne, Woodson, Flacco, Booty, even Johnson - I just don't really like.

The QB I like, as I have iterated before, is Brady Quinn from the Cleveland Browns. For the next 3 years he will be playing a backup role on the Browns where if he was on the Falcons, he would be starting and getting serious play time. Quinn was a phenomenal leader and QB at Notre Dame, and he has all of the skills necessary to become a great NFL QB, including arm strength. (Have you seen his EAS commercial? The man is JACKED)

So how can Quinn be acquired? Well, originally I was for trading D-Hall to the Browns for Brady Quinn and swapping our 4th for their 2nd. With a D-Hall trade to the Browns no longer possible, I still believe we have enough ammo to get our field general.

Proposed trade:

Atlanta Receives - Brady Quinn, 2008 4th round selection

Cleveland Receives - 2008 2nd round selection (from Houston), 2009 2nd round selection, Michael Jenkins

Cleveland had said that they were taking offers for Quinn, and they have been making moves to bolster there receiving core (see Donte' Stallworth). In addition, they get too day one picks in each respective draft. The Falcons add a mid-round pick and their QB.

The Falcons draft now looks like this (after swapping 1st rounders with KC and getting their 2nd round pick):

1) Jake Long (OT)

2) Jerod Mayo (MLB - move Brooking back to WLB)

2) Brandon Flowers (CB - MeAngelo replacement)

2) Trevor Laws (DT)

3) Carl Nicks (OT)

3 comp) Josh Barret (S)

4) John Greco (OG)

5) DJ Hall (WR)

6) Zack Bowman (CB)

6) Tommy Blake (DE)

7) Jack Ikegwuonu (CB)

7) Brandon Coutu (K) - if Elam is signed then pick becomes Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

UDFA (if not drafted):

Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

D.J. Wolfe (CB/S)

Derek Lokey (DT)

Shannon Tevaga (OG)

Marrio Urrutia (WR)

So, effectively, the roster would look like:

QB: Chris Redman, Brady Quinn, Joey Harrington, DJ Shockley

RB: Turner, Norwood, Foster

FB: Muchelli, Snelling

WR: White, Horn, Hall, Robinson, Urrutia

TE: Hartsock, Milner, Rader

LT: Nicks, Foster

LG: Blalock, Clabo

C: McClure, Datish, Stepanovich

RG: Forney, Greco

RT: Long, Foster

DE: Abraham, Anderson, Blake, Fraser

DT: Laws, Babineux, Moorehead, Moore, Lokey

OLB: Boley, Brooking, Nicholas

MLB: Mayo, Nicholas

CB: Houston, Flowers, Williams, Hutchins, Bowman, Ikegwuonu

FS: Coleman, Barret

SS: Lawyer Milloy, Daren Stone

____________________________-

K: Coutu

P: Koenen

KR/PR: Foster and Jennings/Norwood

In the mock draft I actually forgot about the second 4th rounder from the Browns, so the new mock looks like:

1) Jake Long (OT)

2) Trevor Laws (DT)

3) Carl Nicks (OT)

3 comp) Josh Barret (S)

4) Red Bryant

4) John Greco (OG)

5) DJ Hall (WR)

6) Zack Bowman (CB)

6) Tommy Blake (DE)

7) Jack Ikegwuonu (CB)

7) Brandon Coutu (K) - if Elam is signed then pick becomes Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

UDFA (if not drafted):

Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

D.J. Wolfe (CB/S)

Derek Lokey (DT)

Shannon Tevaga (OG)

Marrio Urrutia (WR)

1989fan (3/19/2008)
Phil Savage has made it clear that he will not even listen to offers fro Brady Quinn.

Yeah, and Mike Smith said he definitely wanted DeAngelo Hall to stay.

This is a business, you say you definitely want to keep a player so then if someone wants to trade for them they'll have to give up a lot.

The Browns are committed to winning, NOW. They have no draft picks on the first day this year, and Brady Quinn is not going to help them win this year or the next 3. They can sign a cheap backup QB like Culpepper or Frerrotte and then use the 2nd round pick to get a replacement for Leigh Bodden or a compliment/replacement for Jamal Lewis. I really think they would go for the deal.

Which draft to you like more - there are minor differences.

_1_

1) Jake Long (OT)

2) Trevor Laws (DT)

3) Carl Nicks (OT)

3 comp) Josh Barret (S)

4) Red Bryant

4) John Greco (OG)

5) DJ Hall (WR)

6) Zack Bowman (CB)

6) Tommy Blake (DE)

7) Jack Ikegwuonu (CB)

7) Brandon Coutu (K) - if Elam is signed then pick becomes Anthony Aldridge (RB)

UDFA (if not drafted):

Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

D.J. Wolfe (CB/S)

Derek Lokey (DT)

Shannon Tevaga (OG)

Marrio Urrutia (WR)

or

1) Jake Long (OT)

2) Trevor Laws (DT)

3) Carl Nicks (OT)

3 comp) Josh Barret (S)

4) Chevis Jackson

4) John Greco (OG)

5) DJ Hall (WR)

6) Tommy Blake (DE)

6) Thomas Brown

7) Jack Ikegwuonu (CB)

UDFA (if not drafted):

Jayson Foster (WR/RB/KR)

D.J. Wolfe (CB/S)

Derek Lokey (DT)

Shannon Tevaga (OG)

Marrio Urrutia (WR)

Brian (3/19/2008)

Yeah, and Mike Smith said he definitely wanted DeAngelo Hall to stay.

This is a business, you say you definitely want to keep a player so then if someone wants to trade for them they'll have to give up a lot.

The Browns are committed to winning, NOW. They have no draft picks on the first day this year, and Brady Quinn is not going to help them win this year or the next 3. They can sign a cheap backup QB like Culpepper or Frerrotte and then use the 2nd round pick to get a replacement for Leigh Bodden or a compliment/replacement for Jamal Lewis. I really think they would go for the deal.

Mike Smith is a coach, Phil Savage is a top NFL GM. Big difference. Not to mention DeAngelo Hall didnt want to stay. So that is 2 reasons why Smith really didnt matter in the Hall situation.

Also, if CLE is committed to winning NOW as you said, they surely wouldnt get rid of their QB security blanket that helps them NOW to get a draft pick that helps them down the road. The Falcons didnt trad Schuab because they were coming off of contending season, and didnt want to risk the season had Vick got hurt. That is the same reason CLE wont move Quinn. That AND Anderson is proven, but not guaranteed to repeat his success.

Just telling you what I see as Savages views (as a Browns fan)

gitwitme (3/19/2008)
1989fan (3/19/2008)
gitwitme (3/19/2008)
I know Brohm hasn't played a down of NFL football yet, but what does Brady Quinn have that makes him a far better prospect than Brohm?

An endorsement deal with EAS?

Good point...:D

No, but the publicity helps. Quinn is ready to step in right away while Brohm will need time to become NFL ready, and his arm is much stronger than Brohm's.

bgarcia28 (3/19/2008)
Although I like him, Jake Long will not be available to draft.

False. The first pick will be, most likely, Chris Long.

Post-combine and looking at teem needs, the second pick looks to now be Vernon Gholston.

If Kansas City trades up, it is most likely to get Matt Ryan. The Chiefs sent an army to BC's pro day.

The Raiders will either take Dorsey, Ellis, or McFadden.

That means Long can very well be available at #5.

Matthew Pritts (3/19/2008)
tscott7636 (3/19/2008)
Quinn CHOKED in every BIG game Notre Dame had, I'll pass NO THANK YOU :hehe:
So did Peyton Manning at Tennessee.

He turned out ok, didn't he?

Manning, choked in every big game???

I could've sworn Manning won 4 bowl games and an SEC championship??? Perhaps you don't see those as big games?