Anybody got a good unbiased discription of Jake Long?

somecut8

For some reason, the more I think about it, the more I want Jake Long as our 1st pick. Hopefully he'll drop to our spot so we can pick him.

At first I wanted Dorsey/Ellis because I'm all about defense, but as I think about it, Long just seems like the complete package. For some reason, I think he can start and be an impact on day one, even though I haven't read much about him.

I like the idea of Long because that means we will have a solid OT for 10+ years to come, it'll make rebuilding easier. Plus, Dorsey/Ellis isn't exactly the 6'6 300 DT Smith had in Jacksonville. Next year there is Demonte Bolden, who would fit his scheme better. Plus, we can also draft Pat Sims in the second.

What's your opinion about Long? I haven't read up on him so I don't know.

I would like it if we got Long.  I wonder what kind of impression Renardo Foster has made on Smith and everyone else though.  I guess a lot of people have given up on him because he got hurt and our line as a whole was so bad last year, but I thought he was a complete monster and he did a good job at times in his first season.  I wonder if they're gonna give him another shot and use that #3 pick on someone else.  Still, I'd be very happy if we did draft Long.   

foreveriloveatlanta (3/19/2008)
I would like it if we got Long. I wonder what kind of impression Renardo Foster has made on Smith and everyone else though. I guess a lot of people have given up on him because he got hurt and our line as a whole was so bad last year, but I thought he was a complete monster and he did a good job at times in his first season. I wonder if they're gonnagivehim another shotanduse that #3 pick on someone else. Still, I'd be very happy if we diddraft Long.

Foster was a monster - one of our better OL and best back up OT. But, then again, is he better at right or left? I haven't seen Foster play that much but I know he has potential.

Jake Long, Offensive Tackle, Michigan*

Senior, 6-7, 315

*Strengths:* Run blocking

*Weaknesses:* Open field speed

*Technique:* A classic mauler who uses strength and great technique to not only beat his opponents but make them look really bad while doing so.

*Known Injuries:* Long suffered a severe leg injury as a sophomore which caused him to miss half a season and he has had some minor back problems over the last year.

Analysis

Positives: Has a thick frame with good upper-body muscle tone, long arms, wide hips, thick thighs and calves...Also has room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk without having the added weight impact his overall quickness...Shows good quickness and body control for a player of his size...Take-charge type and field leader who plays with good field awareness and is an aggressive blocker who has the knowledge to call blocking adjustments up front...Sound technically and can be a drive blocker who shows good explosion in his initial step off the snap...Keeps his balance working into the second level and has a wide leg base in his pass set...Good second-effort blocker who stays with his man throughout the whistle, but also shows the vision to locate secondary targets...Plays with a mean streak, looking to constantly finish his man off...Never takes a play off and drives through the defender with good intent and force...Easily digests a complicated playbook and makes good field adjustments to twists and games...Rarely makes a mental error and is very alert on the field...Vocal team captain who will not hesitate to take a teammate to task...Has a true passion for the game, playing with a warrior-like mentality...Hard worker who will do anything the coaches ask and is a model for good work ethic, especially in the weight room...Uses his long reach and size to neutralize edge rushers (see 2007 Michigan State, Illinois and Florida games), doing a solid job of reaching and sealing the "seven" technique...Has the ability to get under the defender's pads and dominate with his hand jolt, but does lack ideal explosion...His hand punch will consistently shock and jolt the defender...Adequate in attempts to stay on his feet moving down the line and is effective at handling the switch-off...Will jolt the defenders on contact with his hands, locking on to steer out and work his man off the line...Drive blocks with excellent leverage and is consistent at moving the pile (see 2007 Northwestern, Eastern Michigan, Purdue and Florida games)...When he stays square in his base, he shows the footwork to get in front on traps and pulls...Very good with his reach-and-scoop skills, when he sinks his weight and stays low in his pads (better at gaining advantage and sealing off when getting movement on double teams)...Can locate and land in short space but isn't as effective on the long pull...Lacks timed speed, but is efficient at locating linebackers when asked to work into the second level...Very quick to set and recoil with his hands, showing good knee bend setting up in pass protection...Has no problems handling movement and is quick to react to stunts and blitzes...Does a good job of staying on his feet working in-line, where he can wall off and position with ease...Gets good movement in his drive blocks and, while he is a little tight in his hips, he works hard to take good angles and recover in his pass set...Can run his feet, stay up and sustain his blocks, showing aggression throughout his play...Works to finish and is patient on the pull, breaking down and staying under control at the second level...Can sink his hips and redirect, coming off the double team with good balance and anchor...Uses his hands like weapons in attempts to pick up stunts and can also catch the defender with his big mitts...Sees threats quickly and stays square in his base to absorb the edge rusher.

Negatives: A little tight in his hips, lacking ideal lateral agility in his kick-slide and can struggle when having to immediately change direction (will take false steps)...Has a strong hand punch, but tends to get them outside his frame, causing him to whiff a lot on a quick pass set (inconsistent placement)...Best operating in a short area, as he does show some balance issues when asked to run long distances...Needs to show better explosion off the snap when engaging defenders, but does compensate with a strong hand punch...When he gets too high in his stance, his base narrows and he will revert to over-extending in attempts to position and sustain...Must unlock his hips and explode more often into the defender, as he prefers to use his size to engulf or hands to sustain rather than blow up the defender (better earlier in games)...More effective working on an island with an edge rusher, as his lack of ideal hip swerve will see him allow inside penetration.

Compares To: JAMAAL BROWN-New Orleans...Like Brown, Long is a mauler with excellent drive-blocking skills. He compensates for a lack of explosion by taking good angles to adjust to movement and has the big hands and upper-body strength to consistently walk his man off the line. He shows the kick-step to mirror edge rushers, but does allow some inside penetration with his sluggish hip swerve working in-line. In a game plan that features physical drive blocking, Long is a perfect fit. But, if you put him in a zone-blocking formation, he lacks the lateral agility needed to mirror inside movement.

Injury Report

2005: Missed the team's first seven games of the season and was hampered later in the year by foot and ankle problems...Was slow to recover from spring shoulder surgery.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

Jake Long

OT | (6'7", 309, 5.299) | MICHIGAN

Scouts Grade: 98

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

View by: Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History

You are signed into Insider and have access to the exclusive draft content below.

Strengths: An experienced, technically sound OT prospect with great size-potential. Is versatile; has experience at left and right tackle and could play either/both in the NFL. Also has proven capable of performing at a high level in power-run scheme and new zone-blocking scheme. Possesses excellent height, adequate bulk and the frame to get bigger if necessary. He has a massive wingspan with long arms and big hands. A natural knee-bender; he gets set quickly in pass pro, plays with good body lean and rarely gets caught lunging. He shuffles his feet quickly and can get back inside to defend double move. Uses long arms and powerful punch to jar defenders and run them wide as pass rushers. Shows excellent awareness in pass pro; consistently gives inside help and does an great job of picking up stunts, twists and blitzes. He takes very good angles as a run blocker. Has adapted very well zone-blocking and shows the mobility to execute in a similar scheme in the NFL. He has good upper-and-lower body strength as a run blocker. Also works hard to sustain and shows a good mean streak. Great intangibles. A leader and hard worker on-and-off the field. Good student in the classroom and intelligence carries over to the field, where he picks up techniques, schemes and assignments quickly.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite mobility for an elite OT prospect. Has enough quickness and balance to perform at a high level in the NFL, but he is not as nimble as former top OT prospects such as Orlando Pace (Rams), Jonathan Ogden (Ravens), D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) and Joe Thomas (Browns). Had some trouble versus Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston's elite speed rushers. Durability is somewhat of a concern after he missed the first seven games of the 2005 season with an ankle/foot injury.

Overall: Long was redshirted in 2003. In his first active season at Michigan (2004), he appeared in 12 games, starting the last 10 at right tackle, and was selected to the Freshman All-America team. As a sophomore in 2005, played five games (four starts) at right tackle. He moved to left tackle in 2006, and went on to start all 26 of the Wolverines' games over his final two seasons. He was a first team All-America selection and the Big Ten Lineman of the Year in each of his last two seasons. Long missed the first seven games of 2005 while recovering from spring shoulder surgery and suffering from foot and ankle injuries. Long has outstanding experience to go along with his massive frame, above-average quickness for his size, a powerful upper body (37 reps), long arms (35.6) and big hands (11). He is not as athletic as last year's top tackle prospect Joe Thomas (Browns), but Long has more than enough range to effectively protect the quarterback's blindside in the NFL and he's bigger, stronger and more physical than Thomas was coming out of school. One year later, Long grades out slightly lower than Thomas (No. 3 overall in 2007) but he could actually come off the board earlier in what projects to be a weaker class.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

somecut8 (3/19/2008)
For some reason, the more I think about it, the more I want Jake Long as our 1st pick. Hopefully he'll drop to our spot so we can pick him.

At first I wanted Dorsey/Ellis because I'm all about defense, but as I think about it, Long just seems like the complete package. For some reason, I think he can start and be an impact on day one, even though I haven't read much about him.

I like the idea of Long because that means we will have a solid OT for 10+ years to come, it'll make rebuilding easier. Plus, Dorsey/Ellis isn't exactly the 6'6 300 DT Smith had in Jacksonville. Next year there is Demonte Bolden, who would fit his scheme better. Plus, we can also draft Pat Sims in the second.

What's your opinion about Long? I haven't read up on him so I don't know.

I have always preached for Jake Long! We will see what happens