Someone please tell me the last SB champ that was built around a corner

R_U_serious

The teams that are in the hunt every year don't have any high priced corners.  Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Chargers,.  They have good corners that they draft, but when it comes time for pay day they always tell them to kick rocks.  This is not only rebuilding, but reallocation of funds.  Spend the money in the trenches.  Something all those teams have in common as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

not every SB champ was built around a corner but im sure that it would help if they all had a talented corner out there on the field. im not going to say we need hall to win games and im not going to say we need hall to win a SB, but i think we have a better chance of defending the pass with hall on the field.

that being said hall is gone and its time to move on.

bossFALCON (3/19/2008)
not every SB champ was built around a corner but im sure that it would help if they all had a talented corner out there on the field. im not going to say we need hall to win games and im not going to say we need hall to win a SB, but i think we have a better chance of defending the pass with hall on the field.

You missed the point.  I just want someone to name one.  Just one.  The Broncos have a better chance of defending the pass with Champ and Bly on the corners, but with all that money tied up in corners they have to take all the Browns reject d linemen.  Now EVERYBODY runs all over them.  Dlinemen help the run and pass defense. Corners only help the pass defense.

R_U_serious (3/19/2008)
bossFALCON (3/19/2008)

You missed the point. I just want someone to name one. Just one. The Broncos have a better chance of defending the pass with Champ and Bly on the corners, but with all that money tied up in corners they have to take all the Brownsreject d linemen. Now EVERYBODY runs all over them. Dlinemen help the run and pass defense. Corners only help the pass defense.

believe the rams did a couple times with dre bly as the cornerstone of their defense

vickandbailey (3/19/2008)
the rams and the ravens thats all i can think of now ill google it
I believ the Ravens d had a lot more than 1 high priced corner.  that was one of the greatest defensive units of all time.  Rod Woodson,Tony Siragusa, Ray Lewis, McCallister was in his rookie contract.

I don't think "the greatest show on turf" was because of their defense.

You gotta have a pass rush or excellent DBs, some have both. But we have neither...

SD has a dream pass rush with 2 of the best corners in the league, NE had a good rush with Samuel, Indi had a pass rush with the Defensive MVP at Safety. Pitt has a pass rush with Troy P patroling deep.

Look at the Ravens. Blitz Blitz Blitz and then you have All-Pro ED Reed and a declining Pro Bowler in McCalister and Samari Rolle.

R_U_serious (3/19/2008)
bossFALCON (3/19/2008)
deion got paid 35 mil to go to the cowboys (highest paid defensive player at the time). 1996 SB champions.
The big 3. The team wasNOT built around Deion. They already had rings with just the Big 3

i dont think our D would be built around hall. D's arent built around corners, but to act like a corner is not a big piece of the puzzle is absurd. dline's are good and all, and i know you guys say Dlines force INT's and all but come on. the giants had the best Dline sackwise all year last year and they had less INT's then us. corners are a piece of the SB puzzle just like every other position.

bossFALCON (3/19/2008)
R_U_serious (3/19/2008)
bossFALCON (3/19/2008)
deion got paid 35 mil to go to the cowboys (highest paid defensive player at the time). 1996 SB champions.
The big 3. The team wasNOT built around Deion. They already had rings with just the Big 3

i dont think our D would be built around hall. D's arent built around corners, but to act like a corner is not a big piece of the puzzle is absurd. dline's are good and all, and i know you guys say Dlines force INT's and all but come on. the giants had the best Dline sackwise all year last year and they had less INT's then us. corners are a piece of the SB puzzle just like every other position.

Do you mean the Super Bowl Champion Giants?

Washington Redskins defense was great due to Darrell Green shutting down half the field. The 49ers couldn't beat the Cowboys in the mid 90's until they signed Deion to shut down Micheal Irvin specifically for the NFC Championship game. They lost 2 in a row to Dallas and then beat them in 95. The only SB that Steve Young was able to win. The very next year Dallas signed Deion to cover Jerry Rice specifically for the NFC Championship game. They got back to the Super Bowl and won. That was the last time the Cowboys won. These teams were not built just around a corner but they were huge parts of the puzzle. They could not have been as great without these guys. If you don't have good solid corners then you better have a great pass rush. A defense can only be dominent if they have at least one of these areas being great. And defense is what wins championships. All that being said, DeAngelo is not one of these type corners. You cannot leave DeAngelo by himself and not worry about that side of the field. These other guys would litterally shut down half the field. No questions asked.

ah i see now, what ur trying to imply is that no sb team ever built around a corner.  And your right, but whats the point of the thread? Im sure everyone on here that posts knows that when teams try to make a sb contender that they dont go straight to the cb position to do that.  But what is your point?

Ran-dawg (3/19/2008)
Washington Redskins defense was great due to Darrell Green shutting down half the field. The 49ers couldn't beat the Cowboys in the mid 90's until they signed Deion to shut down Micheal Irvin specifically for the NFC Championship game. They lost 2 in a row to Dallas and then beat them in 95. The only SB that Steve Young was able to win. The very next year Dallas signed Deion to cover Jerry Rice specifically for the NFC Championship game. They got back to the Super Bowl and won. That was the last time the Cowboys won. These teams were not built just around a corner but they were huge parts of the puzzle. They could not have been as great without these guys. If you don't have good solid corners then you better have a great pass rush. A defense can only be dominent if they have at least one of these areas being great. And defense is what wins championships. All that being said, DeAngelo is not one of these type corners. You cannot leave DeAngelo by himself and not worry about that side of the field. These other guys would litterally shut down half the field. No questions asked.
I also don't think there was a salary cap in place.  Those teams were stacked.