Fans await return of Star Wars

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- Fans never seem to get their fill of "Star Wars," and George Lucas is happy to oblige.

art.film.starwars.jpg

Star Wars creator George Lucas poses in Las Vegas with a pair of storm troopers from his "Star Wars" films.

Lucas offered a glimpse into the latest creation in his sci-fi universe at the theater-owners convention ShoWest on Thursday, showing a sequence from "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," a computer-animated movie due in theaters August 15. It will be followed by a TV series of the same name, to air on the Cartoon Network and TNT this fall.

The movie came about as an afterthought while Lucas was developing an animated TV show of the same name. That show debuts this fall, but Lucas figured it was ripe for big-screen treatment, too.

"You've got the whole assembly line built, and then you say, 'Hey, we can make up something,"' Lucas said in an interview. "It was like old-time movie making. What I love about television, it's like Monogram Pictures or the old studio system, where a couple guys come to work and they sit and have some coffee and go, 'Why don't we make a movie about such and such? OK, fine.' And at the end of the day, it's pretty much on its way."

Set in the years between episodes II and III -- "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" -- of the big-screen "Star Wars" chronicle, the movie and series present fresh adventures of Jedi warrior Anakin Skywalker, his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and other colleagues.

The movie introduces a female Jedi, Ahsoki, who is Anakin's young apprentice.

"It's like 'Band of Brothers' in space, with Jedi," Lucas, 63, said. "You can tell lots of stories. They come up all the time."

Lucas said he plans to produce at least 100 hours worth of TV episodes of "Clone Wars."

He also is moving forward with a live-action "Star Wars" TV show focusing largely on new characters removed from the Skywalker family. That show will be set in the decades between "Revenge of the Sith" and the period when the original film, 1977's "Star Wars," takes place.

So can fans ever get enough of "Star Wars"?

"I don't know," Lucas said. "I'm thankful every year that it keeps going."

LINK: http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/...ref=mpstoryview

I liked the franchise but a weekly TV show might be too much Star Wars. JMO.

I heard the crux of this next story comes when Luke Skywalker is trying to rescue his sister Leah from a burning Morrison's Cafeteria, but his Fixodent fails while he's hanging from a rope with his mouth, causing him to lose his grip and sustain a serious hip injury in the 7-foot fall onto the asphalt parking lot.
octoslash (3/14/2008)
I heard the crux of this next story comes when Luke Skywalker is trying to rescue his sister Leah from a burning Morrison's Cafeteria, but his Fixodent fails while he's hanging from a rope with his mouth, causing him to lose his grip and sustain a serious hip injury in the 7-foot fall onto the asphalt parking lot.

3114970a.gif

capologist (3/14/2008)
I'm looking foward to it myself!

I'm looking forward to it too, Lucas bought the Presidio in San Francisco bay, that was a Army base. If anybody knows land prices in San Francisco are astronomic. He bought the whole base, to turn into his new studios for Skywalker sound, Industrial light and magic and all the other companies Lucas owns. He said he bought it to have more room and to be able to make all these TV shows. I heard Lucas say, if its a flop then its a flop if its fantastic then so be it. Lucas can grab tons of show ideas from the star wars books. I just wanted him to do 7,8,9 of star wars but that probaaly will never happen. :(

I like the Star Wars movies and storyline....but I don't love it. I'm more than just a little burned out on the whole notion of more movies, tv shows, etc...I've always been more of a Star Trek fan anyways...and personally, I believe that most SciFi fans fall into the Star Wars or the Star Trek categories...but rarely do they absolutely love both franchises. So, for me, the Star Trek prequel at the end of the year is a much more exciting prospect than an animated, CGI Star Wars movie. ;)

Ton80Kid (3/15/2008)
I like the Star Wars movies and storyline....but I don't love it. I'm more than just a little burned out on the whole notion of more movies, tv shows, etc...I've always been more of a Star Trek fan anyways...and personally, I believe that most SciFi fansfall into the Star Wars or the Star Trek categories...but rarely do they absolutely love both franchises. So, for me, the Star Trek prequel at the end of the year is a much more exciting prospect than an animated, CGI Star Wars movie. ;)

I gave up on Star Trek since they screwed up Star Trek 10 - man that was one of the worsest movies ever.

And enterprise ? - I liked the show but the moment they finally had some momentum ( 4th season ) in the story they cancelled the production and even screwed the ending with that cheap "all in 45 minutes " episode. They could have made a great 5th and 6th season out of the storylines of the last episode alone ...

We´ll see on Star Trek 11 how this will turn out - but honestly i dont believe its going to be good.

Star Wars - they should really make those episode 7 to 9 ... but i guess they´ll mess it up too.

Seems to be the actual trend to grab a movie with at least two parts and somehow squeeze a TV show in the story between them ...

So, how about these TV shows ?

Bad Boys - "CSI gone wild"

Alien - "It all starts with an egg"

Lord of the rings -> here they can really mess something up ...

Ton80Kid (3/15/2008)
I like the Star Wars movies and storyline....but I don't love it. I'm more than just a little burned out on the whole notion of more movies, tv shows, etc...I've always been more of a Star Trek fan anyways...and personally, I believe that most SciFi fans fall into the Star Wars or the Star Trek categories...but rarely do they absolutely love both franchises. So, for me, the Star Trek prequel at the end of the year is a much more exciting prospect than an animated, CGI Star Wars movie. ;)

I fell off Star trek after the movie after wrath of kahn. It got silly to me from point onward, every creation of it, deep space 9, enterprise, etc.......... No offense, I just always liked star wars better. ;)

nativefalcon (3/15/2008)
Ton80Kid (3/15/2008)

I fell off Star trek after the movie after wrath of kahn. It got silly to me from point onward, every creation of it, deep space 9, enterprise, etc.......... No offense, I just always liked star wars better. ;)

Why would I be offended...you just proved my point... and for the record, Jar Jar Binks...nothing can be sillier and less entertaining than that...nothing...;) :P

Vagabond (3/15/2008)
and for the record, Jar Jar Binks...nothing can be sillier and less entertaining than that...nothing...;) :P

/sign - whoever thought jar jar binks was a good idea / created him deserves to be shot - he ruined Episode 1 single handed.

And the casting of wooden boy, Hayden Christansen took care of the rest...and who in Odin's blue **** thought that boiling the turning of Annakin into Vader down to teen angst and petty jealousy was a brilliant move, and plot promoter, needs to be kneecapped and left for dead by a mound of African fire ants...;)

Vagabond (3/16/2008)
even he whole "romance" of part 2 was soo cheap - lets just say that the average teenager can write a better romance than this "lucas trys to reinterpret romeo and juliet" ... just disgusting ...

So true...don't get me wrong, there were cool aspects in the prequels...I loved seeing all the scenes with Yoda, and also enjoyed seeing all of the other Jedis. Casting Sam Jackson was a brilliant move. The fight scene between Obi Wan and Annakin in "...Sith" was very good, from an action standpoint...not so good from an acting one, because poor Ewan was stuck having to try and act AND carry the "Wooden One"...but the rest of the scene, action, CGI effects, etc, were all top shelf. Darth Maul...now he was cool...too bad he was wasted in the same movie with Jar Jar.

However...all in all...the prequels simply lacked the charm and the cool factor from the original 3. It' was as if Lucas tried to shove every bit of "over the top" he could these movies, trying to make them more circus spectacles, and less great movies. In his attempt to make them stand out and be remembered, he forgot that being remembered as being great movies was more important than being remembered for all of their annoying shortcomings. :hehe:

Ton80Kid (3/16/2008)

So true...don't get me wrong, there were cool aspects in the prequels...I loved seeing all the scenes with Yoda, and also enjoyed seeing all of the other Jedis. Casting Sam Jackson was a brilliant move. The fight scene between Obi Wan and Annakin in "...Sith" was very good, from an action standpoint...not so good from an acting one, because poor Ewan was stuck having to try and act AND carry the "Wooden One"...but the rest of the scene, action, CGI effects, etc, were all top shelf. Darth Maul...now he was cool...too bad he was wasted in the same movie with Jar Jar.

However...all in all...the prequels simply lacked the charm and the cool factor from the original 3. It' was as if Lucas tried to shove every bit of "over the top" he could these movies, trying to make them more circus spectacles, and less great movies. In his attempt to make them stand out and be remembered, he forgot that being remembered as being great movies was more important than being remembered for all of their annoying shortcomings. :hehe:

I think it's more that nothing is ever as "good" as the 1st because the 1st is what grasped people's attention to begin with. It's the same with a band's first album that goes nuts (see Hootie and Cracked Rear View) and the second one not being as "good" as the first.

If you really go back and look at the acting of Luke in A New Hope, you find that he was just as whiny and just as rigid as Hayden Christensen was. The prequels told the story that needed to be told. It wasn't just preteen angst, etc. that drove Anakin to the dark side it was the fact that he couldn't save his mother and vowed to not lose Padme. When he had visions of her dying in childbirth he became desperate to find a way to make it not come true especially since all of his previous visions had come to fruition.

capologist (3/16/2008)I think it's more that nothing is ever as "good" as the 1st because the 1st is what grasped people's attention to begin with. It's the same with a band's first album that goes nuts (see Hootie and Cracked Rear View) and the second one not being as "good" as the first.

If you really go back and look at the acting of Luke in A New Hope, you find that he was just as whiny and just as rigid as Hayden Christensen was. The prequels told the story that needed to be told. It wasn't just preteen angst, etc. that drove Anakin to the dark side it was the fact that he couldn't save his mother and vowed to not lose Padme. When he had visions of her dying in childbirth he became desperate to find a way to make it not come true especially since all of his previous visions had come to fruition.

I agree that this was the direction they were trying to move the climatic changeover towards, but that's not what the acting on the screen portrayed. On screen, we get this wooden performance that, at times, appeared to come out of Saved by the Bell, or 90210...it wasn't believable. I agree that at times, Mark  Hamil, in A New Hope, was a bit blase, but he got better with each and every sequel. This was Christansen's 2nd movie in the role, and he was cardboard cutout in both...he's not a great actor, and was a terrible choice for Annakin. And considering his character is the main one throughout the last 2 movies...it's really a shame that he was the actor playing him...it's 2nd biggest screw up in the Star Wars series...the first being Jar Jar Binks...;)

Casting Sam Jackson was a brilliant move.

Thats for sure - when you have an actor like him and you recognize him as the role he plays rather than the big name actor you can see a big play.

The main problem of 1-3 IMO was that they tried to make everythink marketable. They had Jar Jar for the 12 years old, all those plastic modells for the fans, romance and a too pretty guys just for the girls ... it goes on and on ...

Just like cap said - a bit of everything too much.

But i really hated those slapstick / wanna be funny android soldiers ... they were supposed to be an army not a group of Charly Chaplins trying to invade a planet. Bad enough that C3PO was brought in, which was topped by Jar Jar ... *vommiting*

Except for the "robot comedy" i liked the episode one - but it seems like I´m very alone with this ;)

Star Wars was something I could never get into, even as a kid. I'm just not much of a science fiction guy I guess. I'm more into other nerdy ##### like comic book movies and fantasy books/movies.

But this Mofo is the baddest Star Wars character ever

darthmaul.jpg