Ok, time to put this to rest: Vernon Gholston only had 1 sack vs Jake Long

nfldraftcountdown and NFL Live both discussed Vernon Gholston today. nfldraftcountdown posted a scouting report on him and NFL Live talked about his Pro Day. In his scouting report it is specifically mentioned that Gholston had only 1 sack vs Long, and it was the only one Long gave up all season. NFL Live showed highlights of the Michigan-OSU game and you specifically see that Gholston lined up on the opposite side of Long for 2 of his 3 sacks. I've been reading conflicting reports and wasn't able to see much of that game, so I wasn't sure. Now it's put to rest. Carry on.

If both the Longs are gone at # 3 I hope we take gholston. he would be the best player  available at that spot, and even though there are others that fill higher priority needs, we can address those needs in later rounds this year or in next years draft, because most likely, we will be picking in the top 10 (2009)

gholtey3.jpg

3longdv6.jpg

Hart is in front of 54

gholston080907ko0.jpg

long5ti5.jpg

Gholston Plays everywhere,

They also played more than one game in the past!

Each time Henne meet Dirt

Plus, Jake played bums except when he played Ohio State!

They dont have stats on Gholston having his hand around henne's neck just as he releases the ball either!

Jake had problems with another player

I hope we pick Jake,

Flacon Fans deserve him,

it will be so entertaining for a year , or so!

After (X2) Peppers, Gaines, Saints De's; especially when we flip him over to right, Grant's side!

Clady would match up better at LT!

Jake would excell at Right Guard,

He might even get to the Probowl there!

iDash (3/11/2008)
I hope we pick Jake,

Flacon Fans deserve him,

it will be so entertaining for a year , or so!

After (X2) Peppers, Gaines, Saints De's; especially when we flip him over to right, Grant's side!

Clady would match up better at LT!

Jake would excell at Right Guard,

He might even get to the Probowl there!

Hey, if you say it, it must be true!

Actually it really doesn't matter what you predict. Long is likely going to be a high pick and nobody really knows if he'll live up to expectations, but he looks as safe a pick as there is in this draft.

halsey (3/11/2008)
nfldraftcountdown and NFL Live both discussed Vernon Gholston today. nfldraftcountdown posted a scouting report on him and NFL Live talked about his Pro Day. In his scouting report it is specifically mentioned that Gholston had only 1 sack vs Long, and it was the only one Long gave up all season. NFL Live showed highlights of the Michigan-OSU game and you specifically see that Gholston lined up on the opposite side of Long for 2 of his 3 sacks. I've been reading conflicting reports and wasn't able to see much of that game, so I wasn't sure. Now it's put to rest. Carry on.
JMO, for those who are saying Clady is a much better LT prospect that Long, my question is why? 

Clady has played absolutely nobody, so of course he looks extremely good.  And he is good, top 15 good.  But the best he's gone against is a DE from Washington who projects to MAYBE be an UDFA.  Long had gone up against much better competition week in & week out.  Long's easiest opponent is equal to, if not better than, the best opponent Clady went up against all season.

seafalconsfan (3/11/2008)
If both the Longs are gone at # 3 I hope we take gholston. he would be the best player  available at that spot, and even though there are others that fill higher priority needs, we can address those needs in later rounds this year or in next years draft, because most likely, we will be picking in the top 10 (2009)
JMO, you play to win & you draft to win.  If you're drafting with the expectation of another top 10 pick next year, I don't want you drafting, or even working for my team.  There have been way too many examples, especially lately, of teams that have come from nowhere in 1 year to playoffs the next.  Continue building right & we can be better sooner than a lot of people think.
halsey (3/11/2008)

I think the fact that he got a sack against Long should worry some.  Gholston left before his senior season.  It would look better for Long had he not given up "ANY" sacks to Gholston.  It just proves that Gholston will be an impact player for someone if he lines up at DE.  If it's linebacker, that may marginalize him.  I believe Gholston did not get any sacks against LSU, but I could be wrong.  I'll have to go watch the game again.

grendel (3/11/2008)
Robb4242 (3/11/2008)
halsey (3/11/2008)
nfldraftcountdown and NFL Live both discussed Vernon Gholston today. nfldraftcountdown posted a scouting report on him and NFL Live talked about his Pro Day. In his scouting report it is specifically mentioned that Gholston had only 1 sack vs Long, and it was the only one Long gave up all season. NFL Live showed highlights of the Michigan-OSU game and you specifically see that Gholston lined up on the opposite side of Long for 2 of his 3 sacks. I've been reading conflicting reports and wasn't able to see much ofthat game, so I wasn't sure. Now it's put to rest. Carry on.
JMO, for those who are saying Clady is a much better LT prospect that Long, my question is why?

Clady has played absolutely nobody, so of course he looks extremely good. And he is good, top 15 good. But the best he's gone against is a DE from Washington who projects to MAYBE be an UDFA. Long had gone up against much better competition week in & week out. Long's easiest opponent is equal to, if not better than, the best opponent Clady went up against all season.

How good is Kirk DeCremer?

My guess is not all that bad since he was able to start for a 9-4 Wisconsin team in the Big-10 as a freshman this year, and he made the Freshman All-America second team.

And he's probably at least as good as Greyson Gunheim, who is the best DE that Clady faced all season. 

grendel (3/11/2008)
Robb4242 (3/11/2008)
grendel (3/11/2008)
Robb4242 (3/11/2008)
halsey (3/11/2008)
nfldraftcountdown and NFL Live both discussed Vernon Gholston today. nfldraftcountdown posted a scouting report on him and NFL Live talked about his Pro Day. In his scouting report it is specifically mentioned that Gholston had only 1 sack vs Long, and it was the only one Long gave up all season. NFL Live showed highlights of the Michigan-OSU game and you specifically see that Gholston lined up on the opposite side of Long for 2 of his 3 sacks. I've been reading conflicting reports and wasn't able to see much ofthat game, so I wasn't sure. Now it's put to rest. Carry on.

Clady has played absolutely nobody, so of course he looks extremely good. And he is good, top 15 good. But the best he's gone against is a DE from Washington who projects to MAYBE be an UDFA. Long had gone up against much better competition week in & week out. Long's easiest opponent is equal to, if not better than, the best opponent Clady went up against all season.

How good is Kirk DeCremer?

My guess is not all that bad since he was able to start for a 9-4 Wisconsin team in the Big-10 as a freshman this year, and he made the Freshman All-America second team.

And he's probably at least as good as Greyson Gunheim, who is the best DE that Clady faced all season.

Well, as a Freshman Kirk DeCremer gave Jake Long fits. That should give you pause in discussions of Jake Long's greatness.

Interesting.  DeCremer was credited with 1 tackle (a sack) in the Michigan game, and 0 QB hurries, not sure that counts as giving fits. DeCremer did have 5.5 sacks on the season, 1 against Michigan & 1 against Ohio State, so he's done decently well against some high level competition. 

http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/player/796/10...se/gamelog.html

http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/player/796/10...ck/gamelog.html

I only wish Joe Thomas went up against Gholston ever.. I wonder if people would be bashing him the same way they are Jake.

The fact is Gholston is a very smart, strong, athletic player and he won't let you beat him the same way twice. He had his first 2 seasons against Long(granted he wasn't a starter for 1 but he was still there) and he did nothing, then FINALLY his 3rd year against Michigan he got a sack and a hurry. Considering he may be arguably the best DE in this years draft, I think Long handled him fairly well.

Neither Long nor Clady played a great deal of NFL talent. Long played two or three guys that might make it in the NFL, though even that is better than Clady, who really and truly faced an even weaker schedule and is definitely a big risk at #3. Chris Williams is my favorite left tackle prospect in the draft, here's someone that didn't give up any more pressure than Long, playing NFL talent more games than not. I don't see drafting a runblocker to play LT as a good investment at all, and neither do I see a passblocking left tackle that has never really played a NFL pass rusher as a good investment. Williams can be had later in the draft than #3, and if we trade down, he should be a prime target.