It looks like the Falcons are down to 3 options with the #3 pick: Matt Ryan, Jake Long or trade down.

My order of preference would be:

1. Trade down

2. Jake Long

3. Matt Ryan

I could live with all 3 scenario's, but i'd much rather see them trade down. I'm to the point that nobody excites me as a #3 pick. I bet if you look back over the last 10 years no better than 50% of top 5 picks live up to the hype and money they get. I don't care how much of a 'sure thing' or 'safe pick' they are supposed to be.

monoxide (3/10/2008)
You forgot the biggest and smartest option, Dorsey or Ellis.

The Falcons have signed like 3 DT's in the last week, will be returning Babs and hopefully Lewis will recover. I don't think DT is as big a need as it was. Dorsey has injury questions and Ellis may simply not be rated high enough by the Falcons to warrant pick 3. I don't think they would have signed 3 DT's if they were going to draft Ellis or Dorsey at 3.

bigduke633 (3/10/2008)
You know no team has traded in the top 5 from outside the top 5 in 9 years right?Its to expensive.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely, but I can hope. Maybe the Chiefs will want Long so bad that they trade up 2 spots. Just a thought.

halsey (3/10/2008)
bigduke633 (3/10/2008)
You know no team has traded in the top 5 from outside the top 5 in 9 years right?Its to expensive.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely, but I can hope. Maybe the Chiefs will want Long so bad that they trade up 2 spots. Just a thought.

Trade talk is fun but unrealistic.
bigduke633 (3/10/2008)
Trade talk is fun but unrealistic.

If our beat writer says it's a likely possibility, it's realistic. "Using that approach, don t be shocked if Atlanta trades down from the No. 3 spot in the April 26-27 draft to accumulate more selections later in the process."

halsey (3/10/2008)
The Falcons have signed like3 DT's inthe last week, will be returning Babs and hopefully Lewis will recover. I don't think DT is as big a need as it was. Dorsey has injury questions and Ellis may simply not be rated high enough by the Falcons to warrant pick 3. I don't think they would have signed3 DT's if they were going to draft Ellis or Dorsey at 3.

"In terms of the additional defensive tackles that were recently signed, don t take that as a signal that the Falcons might move off Dorsey. Those players have to make the roster, first off. They also are not viewed necessarily as starters, particularly at nose tackle, where Dorsey likely would play in the 4-3 front. Projected starter Trey Lewis could be down for awhile after re-injuring his torn ACL a few weeks ago and the Falcons have shown no interest at this point of bringing back Grady Jackson. Jackson could be in play if the Falcons don t draft Dorsey. Then again, he might already have a job with another team by then."

Wyche is still saying Dorsey and I believe him. The only question is whether we draft him at #3.

jidady (3/10/2008)
halsey (3/10/2008)
The Falcons have signed like3 DT's inthe last week, will be returning Babs and hopefully Lewis will recover. I don't think DT is as big a need as it was. Dorsey has injury questions and Ellis may simply not be rated high enough by the Falcons to warrant pick 3. I don't think they would have signed3 DT's if they were going to draft Ellis or Dorsey at 3.

"In terms of the additional defensive tackles that were recently signed, don t take that as a signal that the Falcons might move off Dorsey. Those players have to make the roster, first off. They also are not viewed necessarily as starters, particularly at nose tackle, where Dorsey likely would play in the 4-3 front. Projected starter Trey Lewis could be down for awhile after re-injuring his torn ACL a few weeks ago and the Falcons have shown no interest at this point of bringing back Grady Jackson. Jackson could be in play if the Falcons don t draft Dorsey. Then again, he might already have a job with another team by then."

Wyche is still saying Dorsey and I believe him. The only question is whether we draft him at #3.

While I agree with what you are saying about the DT position, Having Babs & 3 established backups. DT doesn't seem as much a pressing need as it was last week.

Without specu;ating too much a few of theese guys may have been scouted by TD comming out of College & already fit the scheme we need.

I still say, Jake long At #3 or trade out of it., but I would be happy with just about anybody (recently discussed) but Ryan at #3 if we were forced into picking third