Question About John Abraham's Status

That would be a dumb move to get rid of him since the money will count against the Falcons anyway. John Abraham is an outstanding player and an anchor remaining on the defensive side of the ball. He makes plays. There is no depth at this position, unless we use our first on an end like Gholston or Long. We should keep Abraham. Just thinking about cutting him is crazy.

loowe (3/10/2008)
That would be a dumb move to get rid of him since the money will count against the Falcons anyway. John Abraham is an outstanding player and an anchor remaining on the defensive side of the ball. He makes plays. There is no depth at this position, unless we use our first on an end like Gholston or Long. We should keep Abraham. Just thinking about cutting him is crazy.

agreed. why i wouldn't mind taking c long if he is there @ #3. abraham is getting older and is always nagged by injuries. draft long let him sit for a few games, bring him in on a rotation than next yr we can look to get ride of abraham and we could have andersen and long at de for the next 5 to 6 years

loowe (3/10/2008)
John Abraham is an outstanding player and an anchor remaining on the defensive side of the ball

Agreed. Abe is my fav player since he got here, and I hope the FO keeps him. I just keep hearing things about Brooking this and Brooking that, and haven't heard a thing about Abraham.

Daniel Chosen (3/10/2008)
With all of the cuts the FO has made, do you think Abe is in it for the long haul here? I think I remember seeing that he is the highest paid player on the team, but haven't really heard much about him this off-season. Anyone know how Smith and Co. feel about him?
he is injury prone...missed games the last 4 years....i agree ,he is a beast when healthy,but we need to get some depth at de just in case

Yeah no question, we are gonig to draft some ends, but why get rid of him now. Let this guy make some plays and mentor these young ends for the future like Jamaal Anderson and company. Strahan to Umenyiora, Kearse to Cole, Abraham to Anderson.

mark hunter (3/10/2008)
With all of the cuts the FO has made, do you think Abe is in it for the long haul here? I think I remember seeing that he is the highest paid player on the team, but haven't really heard much about him this off-season. Anyone know how Smith and Co. feel about him?
he is injury prone...missed games the last 4 years....i agree ,he is a beast when healthy,but we need to get some depth at de just in case

He didn't miss any games last year, which is good to know considering last off season he worked or core training to prevent injury. But depth is always good.

And it's hard to say who is the highest paid with roster bonuses, signing bonuses and everything, but I remember seeing Brooking in around $9 million for this year. Abraham is very productive, and we aren't overpaying him. And no way we get rid of him before we get rid of Jamaal Anderson.

well hello brother canes fan...if you havnt heard the furture at Miami is looking Marve-olous

mike boraski (3/10/2008)
loowe (3/10/2008)

agreed. why i wouldn't mind taking c long if he is there @ #3. abraham is getting older and is always nagged by injuries. draft long let him sit for a few games, bring him in on a rotation than next yr we can look to get ride of abraham and we could have andersen and long at de for the next 5 to 6 years

Chris Long won't be the pick unless Anderson or Abraham suffers a serious freak accident that ends their career. Strahan was very productive this season, and he was 36 years old - there's no reason why we couldn't get another few good years out of Abraham. With so many holes on the roster, can we really afford to use a 3rd first round pick in three years on a DE?

Anywhere except quarterback, the player that we draft in the first round needs to be an immediate starter, and a clear upgrade over what we already have. Why draft a player who will be neither?