Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atljbo

Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston recorded a 42 inch vertical leap and ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Saturday.

17 posts in this topic

Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston recorded a 42 inch vertical leap and ran a 4.58 forty at his Pro Day Saturday.

That's over six inches more than his excellent Combine performance, which many players would have rested on. Gholston is making the case that he's the most athletic player in the draft.

i cant lie...if it was possible that Jamaal Anderson got stronger and could play DT...i would love to draft Vernon Gholston....think about John Abraham and Vernon Gholston as our 2 DE....We will have one of the best pass rush D's in the league(Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney).....In a cover 2 your front 4 will have to get pressure and Gholston and Abraham could do that

i know its not going to happen but.....its a good thought

gholston is rde and I would love to get him even if hes gonna play part time. Abe is very injury prone and our de's would be set for the future with gholston and anderson.

With that said tho we probably wont get him because we do need DT and LT over a guy like him but maybe, just maybe we will pick him up anyways. lol

Thats pretty **** impressive. I wish we could get him somehow, but its a bit unlikely. Shame though...

He could be the most athletic player in the draft, his size makes you think of him as an undersized rusher without much strength, and yet he has the strength of someone that weights a hundred more pounds. His timed speed, weightroom strength, and other measurables are still just that, measurables, but even the incredible measurables he has may not do justice to his explosiveness on the field. He has All-Pro ability at any position in the front seven.

He's the next Terrell Suggs or Dwight Freeney for sure. I envy whatever team he goes to, he's going to be a force to reckon with in this league.

Not even close to being worth our #3 pick.

Don't get me wrong, Gholston is a baller... but he's not the best player available at #3 in any scenario and he's not rare enough to warrant reaching for when we already have John Abraham playing the position he is most comfortable at.

We have much bigger needs at DT and OT... and there are at least 3 players who are rated higher than him who immediately fill a position of need for us.

And besides that... the 40 is ridiculous almost to the point of comical for any lineman whatsoever. If a RB or QB busts past the defensive line on a run, they're not getting chased down from behind by a lineman. And I can't think of any time I've seen a lineman cover a receiver down the field... so really, what's the point?

He's explosive, but he will never in his career sprint 40 yards on gameday... unless he recovers a fumble away from the pile, which isn't exactly a benchmark stat or something to plan for when selecting a DE.

Carter (3/9/2008)

Don't get me wrong, Gholston is a baller... but he's not the best player available at #3 in any scenario and he's not rare enough to warrant reaching for when we already have John Abraham playing the position he is most comfortable at.

We have much bigger needs at DT and OT... and there are at least 3 players who are rated higher than him who immediately fill a position of need for us.

And besides that... the 40 is ridiculous almost to the point of comical for any lineman whatsoever. If a RB or QB busts past the defensive line on a run, they're not getting chased down from behind by a lineman. And I can't think of any time I've seen a lineman cover a receiver down the field... so really, what's the point?

He's explosive, but he will never in his career sprint 40 yards on gameday... unless he recovers a fumble away from the pile, which isn't exactly a benchmark stat or something to plan for when selecting a DE.

I would have to disagree with you on tis one. he is far younger than abe and has exceptional athleticism. we are a project team, no picks in next years draft will make us a playoff contender. why not take the best availible player. who do you suggest?

seafalconsfan (3/9/2008)
I would have to disagree with you on tis one. he is far younger than abe and has exceptional athleticism. we are a project team, no picks in next years draft will make us a playoff contender. why not take the best availible player. who do you suggest?

Yes... we should take the best player available... but Gholston isn't the best player available at #3. Sedrick Ellis is the right pick for us at #3 if he's there.

And just because we aren't close to being a playoff team in theory doesn't mean we start going off on a project pick at #3 overall that won't even start on the team. He may be younger than Abe, but Abe is a premier pass rusher in the NFL... Gholston is a workout warrior who may or may not become one.

Gholston is not a long strider; he is every bit as explosive as his timed speed would imply, even when it comes to very short-area quickness.

Serge Storms (3/9/2008)
Gholston is not a long strider; he is every bit as explosive as his timed speed would imply, even when it comes to very short-area quickness.

And I've already said that I know he's explosive. I've seen him play many times... I knew he was a stud this time a year ago. He has DROY potential.

Sedrick Ellis is the right pick, though... we don't have a DT on our roster that has his talent. We should have taken Amobi Okoye last year... then we may have been in a position to take Gholston right now.

As we approach the Draft, Gholston's name will appear higher and higher on draft boards. There are some teams that would rate him higher than Chris Long. Do not be surprised if STL drafts Gholston with the #2 pick in this draft.

Carter (3/9/2008)

Abraham covered Maurice Jones Drew down the field a handful of times last time we played Jax...and broke up a pass down the field.

bgarcia28 (3/9/2008)
As we approach the Draft, Gholston's name will appear higher and higher on draft boards. There are some teams that would rate him higher than Chris Long. Do not be surprised if STL drafts Gholston with the #2 pick in this draft.

The Rams may take Gholston simply because he's a perfect fit for them and what they need. They didn't have a DE on the team last year with more than 2 sacks... and since Haslett wants to move to a 3-4, Gholston makes almost too much sense for them as he can play DE and also slide outside to be a monster pass rushing LB.

ki45toryu (3/9/2008)
Abraham covered Maurice Jones Drew down the field a handful of times last time we played Jax...and broke up a pass down the field.

What, like 15 yards downfield? MJD had one catch for 10 yards in that game. :Whistling: