Can D.J Shockley be the next Derek Anderson?

Unfortunately, Leftwich & 6 others were cut the beginning off season, as 2 other veterans were released just recently(Warrick Dunn & Joey Harrington). Following another Offseason move, the resigning of Chris Redman. Chris Redman is said to be resigned to groom the rookie that is expected to be drafted by the FO in whichever round.

But something tended to bother me cause wasn't the Browns QB Derek Anderson in the same situation the following 2007 season? He served as Back up for an average QB by the name of Charlie Frye(but who couldn't beat Charlie Frye out for the staring job..he sucked!lol:w00t:). Derek Anderson was selected in the 6th round of the 2005 Draft in which DJ Shockley was selected in the 7th round of the 2006 draft.

I know ur thinking,"how the **** can u compare Anderson & Shockley?" How? Its because Anderson was 1st unproven and also selected in a later round just as DJ was. DJ is in almost the exact situation as Anderson once was....but DJ has been in the league longer & is just as athletic as Anderson is.

Anderson's stats were bad his 1st NFL debut, also in DJ's preseason he wasn't too bright either...but here are Andersons stats before when he was unproven...

Passing Rushing

Season Team GP GS Comp Att Pct Yds Rating TD INT Att Yds TD

2005 Baltimore - - - - - - - - - - - -

2006 Cleveland 5 3 66 117 56.4 793 63.1 5 8 4 47 0

...then by the 2007 season rolled around, he was tired of all the criticism he was getting as just a 6th round draft pick. My point is, DJ has all the tools to be the starter of the Atlanta Falcons even though people dont think so, JUST AS ANDERSON WAS CRITICIZED! But look at'em now...starting for the browns.

And might i add, didn't the browns go BIG in the draft with Brady Quinn & let him sit out for one year...& u see what happened. Didn't go as planned did it? Naww, so to sum up what im saying is...D-J _ S-H-O-C-K-L-E-Y will get his chance this offseason and he will prove all the haters wrong & when he does it will be sweet sound to our ears(GAfan) and a couple others) how the haters hate then appreciate.

DJ SHOCKLEY da Future! :D

Anyone expecting this team to be in the playoffs in 2008 is in for a rude awakening.

That being said, DJ should be given the same opportunity as any other QB to compete for the starting job. Then let the coaches decide who should be where. Does he have skills we havent seen? Maybe, but I think he will get his chance to at least show the coaches what he has.

This team does not need another Vick type player at QB...Shockley is a slower player with less arm strength and really only one year of starting at QB under his belt at UGA. He is also not very tall...which from what we have seen over time...you must be tall at QB to have a long and successful career at QB.

If DJ started for more than just his senior season at UGA then he would have been a higher draft selection too. I think he's highly underrated because of where he went in the draft. I'm not sure if he can or even will get the opportunity to do what Anderson did but I've liked what I've seen in him during the pre-season. He was beating Redman out last year for the #2 spot before hurting his knee. If he didn't get hurt he would have had a chance last year before Redman did. We also would not have signed Leftwich. It is always a posibility. The only thing that's different is he's coming off a knee injury. We still draft a QB on the first day but he will battle it out with that rookie for the back up spot. I really feel Redman earned the right to start after how he played last year. DJ would have to do some phennominal(however you spell that) stuff to take over the starting position for Redman. I think Redman should be our guy. I won't be mad if it's DJ though, I just doubt it.

Bloodhoundz Reborn (3/5/2008)
Yes, if you mean being a starting qb for a team that is not in the playoffs.

We all know if they were in the NFC they would have been in. Their defense gave up a lot of points last year too and it still came down to the last week of the season. 10-6 is not that bad. Pro Bowl not bad either. I still think Redman is our starter, no doubt about it.

Monsta (3/5/2008)
This team does not need another Vick type player at QB...Shockley is a slower player with less arm strength and really only one year of starting at QB under his belt at UGA. He is also not very tall...which from what we have seen over time...you must be tall at QB to have a long and successful career at QB.

Huh? You have to be tall? Who told you that? You don't have to be tall..Steve Young and Joe Montana were only 6'2

Ran-dawg (3/5/2008)
Bloodhoundz Reborn (3/5/2008)
Yes, if you mean being a starting qb for a team that is not in the playoffs.

We all know if they were in the NFC they would have been in. Their defense gave up a lot of points last year too and it still came down to the last week of the season. 10-6 is not that bad. Pro Bowl not bad either. I still think Redman is our starter, no doubt about it.

Yeah I know that I was just saying. I don't think Anderson is bad, I just don't think there is any comparison between Shockley and Anderson. I mean Shockley is Shockley and Anderson is Anderson they are in two different situations. Point is I understand supporting Shockley but some of this is plain out stupid. I've heard plenty of people on this board say if Shockley wouldn't have gotten hurt he would of been starting, some even go so far to say that his injury helped Redman get a spot on the team. If you just woke up out of a coma and heard some of this stuff you would think Shockley was a top 5 qb or something.