According to some people, trading Schaub last year was a no brainer. The same logic applies to D Hall now.

Schaub was going to be a free agent after last year and said he wanted to leave and become a starter. He would have left with us getting nothing for him.

D Hall is going to be a free agent after this year and has also said that he plans on leaving. We would get nothing for him if this happens.

At the time, I was against the trade of Schaub, feeling that we needed a solid backup to Mike Vick. As it turns out, we did need that. However, we made the trade and ended up better off long term for doing it.

If we trade D Hall, it will leave a hole to fill for sure. But according to Hall, after this year, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO FILL THAT HOLE ANYWAY.

If it is for sure that he does not want to be here regardless, we would be absolutely foolish not to get waht we can for him. Those who supported the Schaub trade should also be supporting a trade here that would net the Falcons something in return for hall instead of watching him walk for nothing.

It's not really the same thing. SHobbie was a back up while d-hall has been a starter for us almost since day one. Hall has said he wants to leave or either get a contract extension.... It's not just "I want out", he gave them an option....

So I agree to disagree when it comes to your logic...

j_redd21 (3/4/2008)
It's not really the same thing. SHobbie was a back up while d-hall has been a starter for us almost since day one. Hall has said he wants to leave or either get a contract extension.... It's not just "I want out", he gave them an option....

ummmmm if i remember right..........hall was quoted about a week ago "there is a slim chance that i will be returning in a falcons uniform."

sorry, but if i was an owner and i heard that, especially from a whiny baby like hall, it would be best to get something thats TEAM oriented rather than just a player thats all about himself.

Hall has said abunch of different things. He said he would take hit free agency to see what he is worth. He said he would take a pay cut to work with Houston. He said he wouldn't play for a losing team. He said he wouldn't play for a d-bag coach. Then he said he wanted to be a leader for the defense (wow, what happened with that?).

He has said a lot, but I got the feeling if we didn't give him top CB money, he would hit the market. We should try and get some value for him, he isn't anything "elite" or a "must have". If he was this elite CB that he thinks he is, teams would be falling over themselves to trade for him. Trade him, if I don't have to see an "elite corner" on our team, who is getting paid way too much get burned by just about everyone he covers, I'd be happy. Man, he got burned by a rookie against Indy, and an old as **** WR in Tampa. And then everyone in between. I'll take a high second for him.

j_redd21 (3/4/2008)

I see your point, but it really doesnt matter whether one was a starter and the other wasnt or not. They are both ASSETS and their values need to be MAXIMIZED. Schaub was a back up, but any reasonable person saw the potential for SOME KIND of trouble coming for Vick even before the dog thing came up. And even if that was not an issue, every team in the NFL needs a solid back up QB and Schaub was definitely one of those. Schaub obviously wanted to start and knew he would have to leave to do that. He was going to leave so we traded him to get something in return rather than giving him up.

APPARENTLY, and this is based solely on what we have all read that was reported and not on some personal knowledge that I have over anyone else who is a Falcons fan, but D Hall has apparently said that he wasnt returning regardless. IF, and that is a huge IF......but IF that is true and Hall is really not coming back after this season, we would be absolutely CRAZY not to trade him, regardless of what he has done for us in the past.

tax-falcon (3/4/2008)
....It's not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. Schaub was a BACKUP, as opposed to Hall being an actual STARTER. See?

And they are both ASSETS who could/would/might walk away with us getting absolutely NOTHING in return. It is EXACTLY the same thing. Starter or backup is irrelevant. Its alll about VALUE.

I am not saying I wanted Hall to be traded. But since he has made it clear that he is leaving, it is clearly the best business and football move to make. I would like to have him signed long term but it doesnt appear that is going to happen. If he cant be here long term, we need to at least get something for him.

marvinthemartian (3/4/2008)
Schaub was going to be a free agent after last year and said he wanted to leave and become a starter. He would have left with us getting nothing for him.

D Hall is going to be a free agent after this year and has also said that he plans on leaving. We would get nothing for him if this happens.

At the time, I was against the trade of Schaub, feeling that we needed a solid backup to Mike Vick. As it turns out, we did need that. However, we made the trade and ended up better off long term for doing it.

If we trade D Hall, it will leave a hole to fill for sure. But according to Hall, after this year, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO FILL THAT HOLE ANYWAY.

If it is for sure that he does not want to be here regardless, we would be absolutely foolish not to get waht we can for him. Those who supported the Schaub trade should also be supporting a trade here that would net the Falcons something in return for hall instead of watching him walk for nothing.

It's not really the same because we were not going to sign Schaub due to having Mike and Schaub was going to get Starter Money somewhere else. We would have 100% lost him for nothing. We don't have a replacement in place for D-hall and we could resign him if we choose to. The thing with D-Hall is that I don't know if they want to give a player that is a distraction machine the money that a player of his caliber deserves. It's a tough discision because on one hand you need his talent and would like to sign him long term but on the other hand do you want a player that constantly starts fights on the field and runs his mouth and has no problem cussing a coach out after he does it.

phocis850 (3/4/2008)
Hall will be a beast after he's traded. His attitude will change because he's out of ATL.

Just wait... the smart remarks will be coming out of his childish mouth.

SHOW HIM UP HOUSTON!!!

thats right, lets go houston!!! hall will go somewhere this year, wherever, i don't care. then when YKW gets outta the can and gets picked up by some desperate team then dhall will wanna play right along w/ him. watch and see.

**21*Brooklyn Skull*21** (3/4/2008)
Yea and after trading Shaub...we suddently found ourselves regreting it..lets not do that again.

I agree..we did regret it short term. Long term, provided we use the draft picks effectively, it will turn out to be a good move. And I was one of the biggest Schaub supporters on this board. I did not want to get rid of him. I ended up being wrong.

We simply cannot afford to get NOTHING for SOMETHING

dieharddude (3/4/2008)
Is D Hall really on the level of a Champ Bailey or Asante Samuel? His value is grounded in the reality that we have nobody of significance playing behind him.

Do we clear cap space to overpay 1 guy when we need so much?

No he's not, but the league thinks he is. Obviously they see his highlights and don't pay much more attention to Falcons games. They here him speak and thinks he's as good as he says he is. If we are going to trade him we best do it now because everyone outside of Atlanta thinks he's a complete shut down corner.

The assumption is that Dhall hasn't talked to the coaches and liked what he hears. The assumption is that after dealing the that no account coach last year it might have left a bad taste in his mouth about the falcons. The assumption is that the media didn't lead him on, and for a man with a mouth directly attached to his brain with no delay or filter this could mean bad statements or even quotes taken out of context, or edited for content. If the statements are true and FO believes that he will not be back then they will trade him, if they think it was all hot air, then they will not, and I think the coaches can deal well with him.

As far as his ability goes, I know he gets burned some, but he then turns around and makes some great plays. And consider that CBs really can't touch WR like they used to it is incredible he doesn't get burned more, like most CBs. And for someone most here consider overrated, it is amazing to see how much respect other teams give him, and how often they throw away from him. So as far as his ability goes, either A, he is **** good and teams are just being smart, or B, he is pulling a fast one and all those offensive coordinators are idiots.

marvinthemartian (3/4/2008)

Agree. I don't believe that there is any way we'll resign Hall next season. He'll get too big of an offer somewhere & won't give any type of hometown discount. We are going to lose him and get nothing in return if we don't trade him now.

That's the same reason I wasn't against trading Schaub last year.

there are tons of differences between hall and shaub. we didnt need shaub because we had vick thats why he was expendable. the only reason we would trade hall is if he really will not even consider resigning, we do not have some1 blocking his spot as a starter

I don't see the situations as particularly similar. Schaub was not only a backup but one who appeared to have no hope of ever becoming the starter. Hall is a current high level starter. So, we dealt a player who wasn't going to play last year for draft picks. That situation is different from dealing with a player who will excel for 16 games in 2008 if we don't deal him, and there is also no guarantee he would not agree to stay well beyond that. One guy was facing being a career understudy. The other is not. There are plenty of good reasons to consider trading Hall, but the Schaub Scenario is not one of them.