I don't want Matt Ryan at 3 either, but most Falcon fans have become unreasonable when discussing him.

halsey

stumpjumper (3/4/2008)
They're called experts because someone gave them a show, they know just as much as some members on this message board, and less than others.

The problem is we're not just talkng about the Mel Kiper's and Mike Mayock's. We're also talking everyone including the team scouts. That's why an NFL team will pick Matt Ryan before any other QB gets picked.

halsey (3/4/2008)

They're called 'experts' for a reason and I don't have game tape to spend hours scouting Matt Ryan like they do. I'm sure you always know better than the experts though. Teams are blowing up your phone trying to get you to come work for them since you're the one human being that always knows how a prospect will turn out in the NFL.

And you managed to avoid answering my questions by taking shots at me. What a real asset to the MB you are. You could have simply told me what you like about Ryan and why you think he i right for us but you would rather be an azz and take shots at a fellow falcon fan. Typical halsey. Next time I'll know better than to waste my time trying to get a good discussion out of you.

halsey (3/4/2008)
stumpjumper (3/4/2008)
They're called experts because someone gave them a show, they know just as much as some members on this message board, and less than others.

The problem is we're not just talkng about the Mel Kiper's and Mike Mayock's. We're also talking everyone including the team scouts. That's why an NFL team will pick Matt Ryan before any other QB gets picked.

Human beings have a herd mentality, we band together to feel safety. Proof of this can be seen in SUV sales, we all want to be alike.:D Judging by the way the talking heads flip out when anyone disses Matt Ryan publicly, why should these scouts not agree in public? I'd far rather be reading the inside notes that I'm sure they're taking.

What worries me a little bit about Ryan is my feeling that he suddenly became "great" after not showing any real signs of it early in his career. I know that this time next year there will be some other qb's who had huge seasons and will become hot commodities. But I still wonder if Ryan isn't similar to Brennan in that he got into a system where they threw the ball constantly and his numbers obviously skyrocketed.

Who's to say for sure which qb will be the best of this class. My best guess is that Chad Henne will be the best of them. He started all 4 years at Michigan and has a much larger body of work to judge.

I think that the "experts and analysts" are just as susceptible (sp?) as the fans are when it comes to qb's. THey notice that someone is putting up huge numbers and the team is winning and suddelny the qb is the next John Elway. Remember David Klingler, Andre Ware etc.etc? THe other day they were discussing Ryan Leaf on ESPN and supposedly 20 GM's were interviewed asking who should be the first pick Leaf or Manning. Well 14 of them said that they would choose Leaf.

grendel (3/4/2008)
halsey (3/4/2008)
falkonX7 (3/4/2008)
falkonX7 (3/4/2008)

What teams do Mike Mayock, Todd McShay, and Mel Kiper work for?

What team do YOU work for? Those guys get paid by ESPN and the NFL. They also have access to NFL scouts and game tape. You 've got access to what? Youtube and nfldraftcountdown.com? :laugh:

They may be as human and therefore imperfect in thier draft analysis, but I trust them more than I trust you or any other person on these boards with an inflated opinion of thier own personal draft analysis.

halsey (3/4/2008)

What team do YOU work for? Those guys get paid by ESPN and the NFL. They also have access to NFL scouts and game tape. You 've got access to what? Youtube and nfldraftcountdown.com? :laugh:

They may be as human and therefore imperfect in thier draft analysis, but I trust them more than I trust you or any other person on these boards with an inflated opinion of thier own personal draft analysis.

so in other words you can't tell us why you like Ryan because the only reason you do is because the 'experts' like him?

grendel (3/4/2008)
halsey (3/4/2008)
stumpjumper (3/4/2008)

Humans make mistakes all the time. It's part of what makes them human.

Have you actually spoken to team scouts? Have you seen team's preliminary draft boards?

You've still failed to answer the question: What do YOU, halsey, like about Matt Ryan that makes him stand out above every other QB prospect? What is your measuring stick that shows Matt Ryan is the best QB in the draft?

What I like about Ryan is that he's very experienced in a pro style system and had to carry BC's offense on his back, did not have the support of a good running game or top recievers, led his team to comeback victories against the likes of VT and Clemson, has tons of film for scouts to study, was respected and followed by his teammates, posseses good height and bulk, is a safe bet to be at least a decent starting quality QB.

stumpjumper (3/4/2008)
In other words, you're going by what other people tell you.

No, I just don't pretend to know it all and take other opinons in to accoutn than my own. I don't have hours of tape to study Matt Ryan like you do...oh wait you don't either. You're just another guy on a message board with an inflated opinion of his personal scouting ability.

halsey (3/4/2008)
They're called 'experts' for a reason and I don't have game tape to spend hours scouting Matt Ryan like they do. I'm sure you always know better than the experts though. Teams are blowing up your phone trying to get you to come work for them since you're the one human being that always knows how a prospect will turn out in the NFL.

These are the same experts that tagged Joey Harrington as a first rounder and he's been beat out by a guy off the street selling insurance. Now we have him on our team. So you see, we already have a guy who should LOVE!! I mean no expert doubted him did they?

What I like about Ryan is that he's very experienced in a pro style system and had to carry BC's offense on his back, did not have the support of a good running game or top recievers, led his team to comeback victories against the likes of VT and Clemson, has tons of film for scouts to study, was respected and followed by his teammates, posseses good height and bulk, is a safe bet to be at least a decent starting quality QB.
Was that so hard?

Don't even get me started on the VT game. He shouldn't benefit from sucking the entire game. And for what he would cost us he needs to be more than 'a decent starting quality QB', unless you like handing out boatloads of money to overrated QB's.

grendel (3/4/2008)

Pressure most certainly is one of them. See the first 56 minutes of the VT game vs. the last 4. He looks ok as long as there's no rush.

what QB doesnt look bad when getting hit every attempt? In regards to pressure, he could have easily just folded up that game, but he stayed poised and won the game for BC.

I realize that VT didnt bring the blitz as much at the end, but I wont knock Ryan for VTs stupidity. He did what he needed to do to get the win IMO.

I am not a Ryan lover at all, but I do think he is critisized a little harshly here. But I also realize he is over hyped by some too, and that is why he gets some of the critisism in rebelion to the praise.

halsey (3/4/2008)

..............CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT

Jay Cutler 273 462 3073 59.1 6.65 21 9 126.1

Matt Ryan 388 654 4507 59.3 6.89 31 19 127.0

Now who's got facts? You can make some excuses now.

Jay Cutler is a proven NFL Qb? NOT!!

grendel (3/4/2008)

There's no way you can objectively look at Matt Ryan's stats and game film and consider him a 1st round pick. No way. He's only about the 5th best QB in the draft, and he's behind guys I wouldn't look at until the 2nd round, so...

Why do you hate Matt Ryan so much? You cannot objectively look at this draft and say Ryan is the 5th best QB. I'll buy 2nd best, but not 5th.

1989fan (3/4/2008)

I am not a Ryan lover at all, but I do think he is critisized a little harshly here. But I also realize he is over hyped by some too, and that is why he gets some of the critisism in rebelion to the praise.

As I've said before, I'd spend a 2nd round pick on him unless Brian Brohm or Joe Flacco was available.