To all the Michael Turner bashers....

nvalvano25

I'm sick of hearing about all of you fake "falcon fans" talking about how Michael Turner has not shown anything yet and that we overpaid the guy.....The reason that he did not "show anything yet" is probably because he was the backup to one of the best RB's our generation will ever see...I dont know if you know him, LaDainian Tomlinson?? Heard of him??? You guys need to stop listening to to "2 live Stews" and realize that this was a great move by Atlanta...Michael Turner has speed and POWER...something that Atlanta has been missing since the days of "DVD" (Dunn, Vick, Duckett)....One of Atlanta's biggest problems last season was getting the short yardage in 3rd and 4th down situations....There were countless times where we failed to convert on 4th and 1 or 2 and had to give the ball up or had to settle for a field goal inside the 10 yard line...Atlanta would put great drives together and would come up with three because little warrick dunn could not get 1 yard when the box would be stacked..If you remember, Atlanta would run a pitch to Dunn because they had no faith that he could get that yard and what would happen?? you guessed it, a loss of two and a turnover on downs....

With the combo of Turner's power and Norwoods outside speed, Atlanta is settled at the RB position..Not to mention Ovie Mughelli leading the way for those two...Now, we grab an OL, QB, DT, and a LB in the draft, we should be solid on both sides of the field...Let's start focusing on the positive because I can't stand all you "downers" to come on these boards and do nothing but bash our birds....Fans are supposed to be supportive not negative...

Prediction for 2008-2009 season----Atlanta 9-7 with a possible wild-card birth in a weak NFC....

Let me know what you guys think

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tom Baldwin (3/4/2008)
what part of "overpaid" don't you understand?? I'm not saying turner is a bad running back. I'm just saying we paid way too much. Besides that, runningback was not what we needed to spend that kindo of money on. WE NEED SOME LINEMEN!!!!

we have 9 picks to get OL so settle down besides dispite what you think we did need a rb.

JMO

But those bashing or complaining about the size of the contract Turner received without ever proving he can be a full time back have just as much, if not more, to go on with their argument than those who have anointed Turner as the 2nd best RB in the league only behind the guy he was backing up in San Diego.

At least those concerned about Turner's deal have history on their side. But in all actuality, neither side knows for sure what we're getting and only time will show who is right. But their opinion is just as valid as your opinion that Turner was worth the money & there's no reason to call out & try to belittle those who don't agree with you, when there is a 50/50 chance you're the one that is wrong.

tom Baldwin (3/4/2008)
A backup runningback should get backup pay. The entire world understands that except the falcons front office and some of yall.

But he's not a BACKUP running back anymore. What part of THAT do YOU not understand? He is now a STARTER and is being paid starter money. If he does well, the contract will seem very reasonable.

He's also being paid less than we'd have had to pay McFadden had we taken him in the first. But now, we don't have to worry about running back and can address the lines.

Speaking of addressing the lines, did you not notice that there are very few offensive linemen available in free agency? What were the Falcons supposed to do? Magic up a few Pro Bowl linemen who would sign for the vet minimum? Please.

God, some people make me wish that the ignore feature worked. I can handle disagreement and dissenting opinion. What drives me nuts is the complete lack of logic and the unwillingness to discuss the issue rather than just casting out the same line over and over.

Direwolf

im happy with signing, now its time for him to work hard and show us what he can do. I dont worry about the RB position because every running back is "good" ,its the players around him that allow him to be great. we get some players to compliment turners style of play and some recievers to block down field. We are gonna be alright my people. :)

tom Baldwin (3/4/2008)
A backup runningback should get backup pay. The entire world understands that except the falcons front office and some of yall.

Just because he backed up Tomlinson - all other RB's currently in the NFL would be a backup to LT if they were on the chargers - does not make him a career backup. I seem to remember a guy named Brady backing up Bledsole, and Grant (Packers) was a backup until midseason and look what he did for them.

I would agree except for the fact that we did not sign him to be a back up. I`ve heard a lot of talk about how he only carried the rock 6 or 8 times a game blah blah blah, but look at what he did with it when he got it. Check out the youtube clip on J-MIKES MISSIVES, pretty impressive stuff. This dude can break tackles, has great vision, and when he hits the hole it looks like he got shot out of a cannon coming out the other side all 237 lbs of him. Their is another clip worth watching on you tube as well, just search michael turner. Hey, I`m not saying this guy is the next messiah in atlanta, but to say that he is not starter material? The tape does not lie. Watch it for yourself, this dudes got skillz.

direwolf (3/4/2008)
tom Baldwin (3/4/2008)

But he's not a BACKUP running back anymore. What part of THAT do YOU not understand? He is now a STARTER and is being paid starter money. If he does well, the contract will seem very reasonable.

He's also being paid less than we'd have had to pay McFadden had we taken him in the first. But now, we don't have to worry about running back and can address the lines.

Speaking of addressing the lines, did you not notice that there are very few offensive linemen available in free agency? What were the Falcons supposed to do? Magic up a few Pro Bowl linemen who would sign for the vet minimum? Please.

God, some people make me wish that the ignore feature worked. I can handle disagreement and dissenting opinion. What drives me nuts is the complete lack of logic and the unwillingness to discuss the issue rather than just casting out the same line over and over.

Direwolf

Best post of the day! :D

Robb4242 (3/4/2008)
JMO

But those bashing or complaining about the size of the contract Turner received without ever proving he can be a full time back have just as much, if not more, to go on with their argument than those who have anointed Turner as the 2nd best RB in the league only behind the guy he was backing up in San Diego.

At least those concerned about Turner's deal have history on their side. But in all actuality, neither side knows for sure what we're getting and only time will show who is right. But their opinion is just as valid as your opinion that Turner was worth the money & there's no reason to call out & try to belittle those who don't agree with you, when there is a 50/50 chance you're the one that is wrong.

This was the best response to the thread topic.

Robb4242 (3/4/2008)
JMO

Rob. ..just about noone has annointed him the second best running back in the league and you very well know it, so please stop dreging up that straw man, will you? What people ARE arguing is that he will be a good and effective back for the Falcons, especially in combination with Norwood. When you decide to actually argue the points people are actually making, then perhaps you won't receive as much vitriol, but as long as you are throwing out accusations and trying to disprove points that people aren't making, you aren't going to get anywhere.

The_ ATL (3/4/2008)
I like that the Falcons went out and got Turner I just dont like the 15 million they guaranteed him.

BTW Turner wasnt even on 3rd downs for most of the season. That was always Sprolls and LT because both were considered better pass catchers.

ATL, if you want to get the talent, you have to pay. Turner is one of the most talented young backs in the leauge(this opinion is shared by quite a few people). Maybe you think his contract is big, but if you look at the entire cap it isn't really going to affect us.

tom Baldwin (3/4/2008)
what part of "overpaid" don't you understand?? I'm not saying turner is a bad running back. I'm just saying we paid way too much. Besides that, runningback was not what we needed to spend that kindo of money on.

WE NEED SOME LINEMEN!!!!

This smell's even reeks of Peerless Price, Ed Hartwell and Ovie Mughalli (sp?) - ism :P

I remember all of the people complaining mightily about getting NOrwood with the number three pick, talkign about how it was 'wasted' and 'he hadn't preoven anything' and 'we could just as easily get a back just as good with a fifth round pick'.

chifalc (3/4/2008)
Robb4242 (3/4/2008)
JMO

Rob. ..just about noone has annointed him the second best running back in the league and you very well know it, so please stop dreging up that straw man, will you? What people ARE arguing is that he will be a good and effective back for the Falcons, especially in combination with Norwood. When you decide to actually argue the points people are actually making, then perhaps you won't receive as much vitriol, but as long as you are throwing out accusations and trying to disprove points that people aren't making, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Fine, then someone find me a career backup RB (regardless of the reason he has been a backup) that has signed a large FA contract & then:

a. Been in the top 3 in rushing. (as predicted on these boards)

b. Made a pro bowl (as there have been predictions of on these boards)

c. Led their to to a superbowl (as there have been predictions of on these boards)

I'm not saying Turner won't be a good fit here as a part time back to split carries with Norwood. I've never said that. But I don't think you pay a guy who's role is probably going to wind up being a possible starter in a 2 back system the type of money we've paid Turner.

And like I've said other places, if I'm wrong about him only being a part time back (under 20 carries a game on average), then I'll shut up about the contract. The contract is the ONLY thing I have an issue with in regards to this signing.

Yes I exaggerated a little bit when saying he's been anointed the 2nd best RB in the league by some, but now, I'll ask you, is there nobody on these boards over-hyping Turner?