The Saints wasted a pick

Calm down people. Vilma is finished. Teams don't trade pro bowl caliber LBs in the prime of their career for a 4th round pick unless there is something seriously wrong with them (like 2 blown out knees).

If Vilma was so great and healthy, don't you think some other team could've offered a higher draft pick than the Saints 4th rounder?

Greenwood (2/29/2008)
Calm down people. Vilma is finished. Teams don't trade pro bowl caliber LBs in the prime of their career for a 4th round pick unless there is something seriously wrong with them (like 2 blown out knees).

If Vilma was so great and healthy, don't you think some other team could've offered a higher draft pick than the Saints 4th rounder?

There is a Saint's message board... There is also another forum here for this kind of stuff.

Wild Bill (2/29/2008)
So you're saying: Let's hope he is more of a Hurtwell, and less of a Strahan, right?

No, I'm saying that it's not a big deal. There were a lot of people that were screaming for TD to "bring 'em home" and now I'm sure there are a lot of people that are crying because the Saints got him.

I'm here to let those people know that everything will be okay.

Greenwood (2/29/2008)

Your a #####

Vilma did not have micro frature surgery... read here... he was traded because he no longer fit the scheme they were running in NY. He was cleared by the same doctors that clear Drew Brees.

A dead piece of bone has rested in one of Jonathan Vilma's knees since high school. When it dislodged in October of last season, Vilma was put on injured reserve by the New York Jets and didn't play for them again.

It was the first time in his football career that he had a season-ending injury. Now, four months removed from surgery, Vilma, traded to the New Orleans Saints on Friday for a conditional 2009 fourth-round draft pick, gets a new start and joins a defense he says better fits his skills.

"The Jets were going one direction, and I was going a different direction," Vilma said Friday. "I'm just glad I'm getting back into a 4-3 defense. This is better for both sides."

Vilma, considered a bit undersized at linebacker, didn't fit in as well in the Jets' 3-4 scheme. Unless the nose tackle in a 3-4 occupies two blockers, the middle linebacker in a 3-4 is subject to a steady diet of blocking guards or centers pounding on his body.

The Jets decided to shop him in a trade a couple of weeks ago, with the Lions and the Saints showing the most interest. The Saints worked out a trade Friday morning; the pick in exchange for Vilma could upgrade to a third-rounder depending on how Vilma's season goes.

"What I like about New Orleans is that it is a very stable team," Vilma said. "I think the quarterback position is filled well by Drew Brees. The running game has Deuce McAllister, and Reggie Bush creates a lot of matchup problems for a defense. Marques Colston is a phenomenal receiver. I think offensively, the Saints have all the tools."

The Saints' mission this offseason is to retool their defense, and the acquisition of Vilma is a big part of that. If he's healthy, Vilma is a strong, smart middle linebacker who could set the rest of the defenders in the right position along with making plays from his position.

As for his health, Vilma says he should be fine short-term and long-term. Last season, neither Vilma nor the Jets made any details about his knee injury public.

"The knee is actually doing very well," he said. "I had the surgery in November, so it's about four months since the operation and it's feeling very good. I started jogging two weeks ago and I've been doing leg curls. I'm trying to take it easy."

Vilma passed all the medical tests administered by the Saints before the trade was in place.

"The knee shouldn't be a problem long-term," he said. "I just have to take care of it. There was a dead piece of bone in my knee. In the Cincinnati game, it decided to fall [away]. Unfortunately, I've never had a season-ending injury before. I'm just glad the knee is taken care of."

With this trade, the Saints believe they have shored up the middle linebacker position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270701

"They expect me, as I expect myself, to come in and learn the system, and be the quarterback of the defense," Vilma said. "That's what a middle linebacker does and that's what I expect. I wouldn't expect anything other than that and that's what they expect from me."

Vilma said the surgery on his right knee was more to correct something of a bone defect in his knee. A piece of bone broke off and began floating around the knee joint last season, necessitating surgery to repair.

"They cleaned out the knee, put another piece of bone in there and we went from there," Vilma said.

He said he expects to be able to participate in some of the Saints' off-season program and be full speed by June's minicamp.

"Hopefully they'll let me do part of the minicamp," Vilma said, "and defininitely by training camp I'll be ready to go."

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008...deal_done.html